Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

How is it having "less choice"? You'll have the exact same choice that the opposite gender has now. For instance, if my BH is chatting with Mako about some mission-related thing, I get something like this:

Option 1: Yeah, we should go do that.

Option 2: We should do it later.

Option 3: Shut up, Mako.

Whereas a male BH might have:

Option 1: Yeah, we should go do that.

Option 2: [flirt] We should do it ... later. Wink wink.

Option 3: Shut up, Mako.

Right now, the male version offers more choice than the female choice, which just offers a generic middle-comment, rather than a flirty option. All changing the companions to "hero sexual" would do is allow both genders that flirty option. The same goes for a male character with a male companion. As it is right now, you'd get the former. Post-change, you'd get the latter. Your options would actually EXPAND.

See above. You'd go from the usual choice of "plus affection", "neutral", "negative affection" to "plus affection", "flirt", "negative affection". That'd pretty much be the only change, and only in specific conversations.

Right, but right now there isn't the option to play a gay/lesbian character. Allowing a broader interaction (for everyone, whether or not they choose to take it) with their companions can't be a bad thing, can it?

I may want to use the neutral choice. You are removing 1 choice from me unless I want a sames sex relationship, of course you can't see this because that's what you want.

The best answer to this is a specific character class with it's own story and it's own companions which only accept gay/lesbian choices. That's fair, I'd play the class if it was good, and would probably run a relationship during it. Had there been gay, lesbian, or Bi characters I may have already started running one. I don't want to single people out but I want the options that everyone else has had to be the same for me. I have the right as the buyer of this game to experience it as it was written so that I get the same experience as those who have already completed it.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a convincing argument. If I were a homosexual and wanting same-sex romance options, I would want it done right rather than half-a**ed. If they were to throw it in there now, I am sure it would cause more problems than it solves.

This is both on-topic and constructive. I agree it should be done well. Unfortunately people tend not to be able to agree on how that should be, precisely.

Frankly I'm quite willing to wait a while for good content, as long as I know that we're being heard. The development team hasn't seen fit to talk to us about it, though, so remaining vocal is the only thing we can do.

The argument is pointless because different teams work or different pieces of the game.

They won't pull writers to fix class balance issues.

I'm sure they have a team that is currently working on new story content...

Considering how big the game is and the incredible scope for potential, I can imagine the writers are very, very busy.

I may want to use the neutral choice. You are removing 1 choice from me unless I want a sames sex relationship, of course you can't see this because that's what you want.

The best answer to this is a specific character class with it's own story and it's own companions which only accept gay/lesbian choices. That's fair, I'd play the class if it was good, and would probably run a relationship during it. Had there been gay, lesbian, or Bi characters I may have already started running one. I don't want to single people out but I want the options that everyone else has had to be the same for me. I have the right as the buyer of this game to experience it as it was written so that I get the same experience as those who have already completed it.

That's not the best answer at all. "If you want to play a gay/lesbian/bisexual character, you have to play this one specific class"? Really? You don't see what's wrong with that? :rolleyes:

The BEST answer would be to include MORE conversation options, ideally. However, their current setup may not allow for it. Or as someone suggested, make [flirt] options their own category, and stick off the other side of the dialogue choice wheel. That way you always have 3 options + a potential flirt option.

You say that "I want the options that everyone else has had". That's what we're arguing, too.

I want the same option the guys get for romancing female characters.

Edited by LyriaFrost

If this is as off-topic as you say it is, do you deny that there have been people expressing their dissatisfaction that this isn't in the game already, or being delivered in the immediate future?

Yes. I'm also noting that Bioware has told you it is in the works, and that as soon as you race through the next flashpoint or operation to be added and figure all the quirks out of the next PvP adjustment, you'll be right back clamoring for more because that is the nature of what you're demanding.

If this is as off-topic as you say it is, do you deny that there have been people expressing their dissatisfaction that this isn't in the game already, or being delivered in the immediate future?

No, a lot of people have expressed frustration that it's not in yet. But I do indeed deny that it's the point of this thread to define where in Bioware's list of priorities same-sex content should go.

Plus, I don't recall (and I may be wrong) anyone saying this content definitely should have higher priority than anything else. The replies to your comments, even now, are mostly asking why it should come last, not claiming it should come first.

Edited by Kioma

Plus, I don't recall (and I may be wrong) anyone saying this content definitely should have higher priority than anything else. The replies to your comments, even now, are mostly asking why it should come last, not claiming it should come first.

Mayhaps they did in the context of story-related content.

But...no one is saying they must pull resources from PvP to work on this.

However, you will never be satisfied, just like players in every other MMO have never stopped clamoring for more content and PvP adjustments. You're asking for indefinite things without limit or end. We're asking for something definite and finite. And, incidentally, I'm a single-player focused, heterosexual gamer, and this still ranks high on my list. It's perhaps at the top of my list, in fact.

There are always tweaks and balancing, but every game has its pass/fail moment. A failure to fix the technical problems that this game is plagued with will result in a game that won't deliver on anything, including the content you wish to be added. That is my point. Certainly, the romance options will involve different designers behind the scenes, but to do this RIGHT, they will have to bring in voice actors and model designers. That costs money.

I am a Star Wars fanatic. I want to see this game succeed. Frankly I was not happy with a lot of the story-driven content in this game, especially the romance options, even those for heterosexual characters. I want to see more of it for both sexual preferences and more story-driven content. The problem is that if they don't fix the issues with the engine, the game will die a slow death.

Mayhaps they did in the context of story-related content.

They might have. Like I said, I could be wrong.

But...no one is saying they must pull resources from PvP to work on this.

Certainly not. A lot of people love PvP. I despise it but I still think PvPers should be able to voice their opinions as to what they want and in the end I hope they get something that satisfies them (for however long it does). I only ask the same courtesy in regards to story-driven content, and in particular same-sex content.

Why? Because it's part of what I enjoy - just like PvP is part of what a PvPer enjoys.

Hi there!

We recently removed or edited some posts in this thread. We ask that you please do not go off-topic by bringing real life morality, politics or religion into the discussion.

Due to the volatile nature of this discussion, we ask that this thread remain strictly on topic, which is how same-gender romances should be implemented in the game.

If another user begins to derail the thread, please do not reply and instead report (flag) the post so that our Community Team can remove the post. This will help keep the thread on topic.

Thanks for your understanding.

I think I definitely need to update my list of preferred same-sex content implementation to include the matter of flirts being an extra option in addition to the standard three, irrespective of gender. It's a great idea. Nobody misses out on social non-flirt options, very equitable.

It's true that people will never be satisfied with endgame PVE or PVP balance, but to be fair, that's human nature. However much we have, we want it more and/or better. The key to happiness may be wanting what you have, but the key to progress is striving for what you want.

But to be even more fair, that dissatisfaction and attempts to cater to it are a normal, stable part of an MMO. It's almost a certainty that before launch Bioware hired a permanent, full time staff dedicated to these issues. They'll be working on it as long as TOR remains viable. Because we're still in that shaky, early post-launch phase, that staff is probably being encouraged to take overtime.

There's no need to draw attention to that kind of thing. I'd be willing to be quite a bit of money there are people working on it this very second as I type this post.

What is less clear is what's being done to correct the oversight of there not being any same gender romances available in this game. Is anyone working on that?

What is less clear is what's being done to correct the oversight of there not being any same gender romances available in this game. Is anyone working on that?

I'd presume people are. However that is presumption because Bioware hasn't actually told us if it's being actively worked on or delayed for other reasons. They haven't told us anything much, so remaining vocal (but polite, preferably) is about all we can do.

No, no.

Many of us have opined that it really ought to have been in at launch. But it isn't - those are the breaks.

No one is saying it needs to be in the next patch.

This thread is saying, explicitly, "Now that we have the game, and see how it plays, and how this content fits into the larger scheme, we are anxious to learn more of how the Developer Team plans to implement this. Here are things we hope to see. Here are things we're afraid we'll see. So please don't leave us in the dark."

What this thread is asking for ASAP is information at the very least and, in the best case scenario, a dialogue on same-gender content.

We haven't heard boo about this since September 13. We have gnawed those comments for every bit of information that can be extracted from them, contemplated it, interpreted it, discussed it and debated it.

Some themes that seem to come up frequently:

People are attached to the companions we have already gotten to know in the game, and many do hope that same-gender romance can be implemented for these characters.

People in general are happy to wait for better content, rather than something half-assed now.

People worry that we will only see a couple same-gender companion romance options per faction, e.g. roll a male Bounty Hunter to have a male SGR Empire side, or a Trooper Republic side, because those are the classes that get a male SGR, period.

And lastly, not having any information from the Devs makes being patient difficult, and erodes our confidence that what we hope for and worry about are anywhere on their radar.

That's what we are here for - not to say "WE DEMAND THIS NOW!!!", but to see if maybe we could find out where the Developer Team is on this and, if at all possible, how soon we might reasonably hope to see it implemented.

That's all.

I don't want to single people out but I want the options that everyone else has had to be the same for me.

So do we. And including same sex content is the way to do that. Currently the options you have aren't the same for us.

We want the same courtesy you currently have. I don't see any issue with the conversational options being brought to an even level across the board.

If I've already started the game with a character, will I have already missed out on opportunities for romance options because I've finished a planet and that character is no longer prevalent to my stories? (Just finished a planet where I saw this was the case with a opposite sex character) Will I have missed out on flirt options? I'm not reading hundreds of pages to see if this has already been discuseed, sorry. I really only went ahead and decided to get the game again because I heard TOR was going to immediately be allowing those options into the game in a patch. I feel a little mislead that it was not already implemented and now I have wasted hours of potential story graduation of romancing a character and playing the full spectrum of the game. :mad:

If I've already started the game with a character, will I have already missed out on opportunities for romance options because I've finished a planet and that character is no longer prevalent to my stories? (Just finished a planet where I saw this was the case with a opposite sex character) Will I have missed out on flirt options? I'm not reading hundreds of pages to see if this has already been discuseed, sorry. I really only went ahead and decided to get the game again because I heard TOR was going to immediately be allowing those options into the game in a patch. I feel a little mislead that it was not already implemented and now I have wasted hours of potential story graduation of romancing a character and playing the full spectrum of the game. :mad:

Unfortunately, we've got hundred of pages of speculation and no communication. No one knows the answer to your question.

Short answer, we don't know.

Same-gender romances may or may not be made available with our current companions. They may decide not to add any same-gender content until new companions are added to the game.

If current companions do get updated to allow same-gender romance, we don't know if their affection rating or conversations will be reset or if we will have to start that class from scratch to access the new options.

Those are good questions, and ones that we all would very much like clarified. With any luck, some sort of information will come with tomorrow's Community Q&A Blog post. If it does not, then I encourage you to ask the Development Team in next week's Q&A thread.

Honestly, I don't really care anymore how they do it, or even when. I just want to hear something more than the same freaking response that we've gotten since September. What really bugs me about this is that a statement posted by a dev in this thread saying "It's on the back burner at the moment due to this, this and this" OR "We're working on it and you'll see something in the near future" would take less than 5 minutes to do, and yet NO ONE seems to think to do this.

I think the "Hero-Sexual" option is likely the best choice. Our charactes are all about being Heroic and doing things that most of the people in the galaxy couldn't. So, the romance options could or should be aiming for that goal too.

I do want my existing characters to have the option of romance with our existing companions as well as the new ones. I would rather not have to delete and/or restart my character all over again. So I hope they take in the input from this thread and try to do that for us. But we may not be given that choice... :t_eek:

It's also unfortunate that the more time that goes by without word from BW. The more I feel like they like they really dropped the ball and got caught with their pants down as it were. Increasing the amount of time that will go by before we see this implimented. I know that's a little pessimistic but it is how I'm starting to feel. :t_frown: