Breaking Vette

Legendoom

Vader at no point used a shock collar to keep his underlings in line. So stating you want to use such to be 'more like Vader' makes no sense whatsoever. Its not cleaving to that archtype at all.

All of the above assumes that I'd like my character to exert force solely through the shock collar. As stated previously in the thread, nothing's further from the truth -- I'd be perfectly happy if she took some effort and freed herself.

And Vader was surprisingly tolerant of a similarly mouthy sidekick he had in younger days. Personally I think as long as his underling was doing what he wanted, he'd be tolerant.

His younger days? Pre-Vader, then?

Now for fun, look yourself in the mirror and ask yourself how many times you said something mouthy to Baras during your class quests. Baras showed surprising restraint on my playthroughs because I was accomplishing his goals. And I insulted him nearly every chance I got. How about you?

No. He largely left my SW to her own devices, so long as she also assisted with his plans. If not for Baras' portrayal, she'd have probably let him live when the time came.

But honestly if you're really just seeking to continually treat her badly you really miss out on some 'gems' by taking off the collar and seeing some of the options on her quests.

Honestly, I don't believe it. She didn't amuse me once prior to her pouting phase. Even Quinn got off a one-liner that made me laugh.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, I don't believe it. She didn't amuse me once prior to her pouting phase. Even Quinn got off a one-liner that made me laugh.

I wasn't talking comedic 'gems.' I was talking new and horrible ways to continue to treat her badly. The shock collar is kind of minor in the ways you can be an arse to her.

Not really - unprecedented levels of whine brought on by the inability to torture a person does speak volumes about a person's character. It's one thing to see it as a minor annoyance and brush it off as such. It's another to be so annoyed you feel the need to post about it.

Geez... just give different buffs depending on how you treat your sidekicks!

Jaesa has a split personality, as does khem especially, etc.

It's Bioware we're talking about here, and in Dragon Age 2, you had 2 different buffs on your companions; where one was rival, and another something goodly, depending on how you treated them. Treat them harsh, they become harsh people that rely on themselves more than you etc. Treat them like your favourite dolly, they put their lives in your hands yadayada and give some puppy buff.

I wish all sidekicks was as colorful as Jaesa, as the SI female apprentice is so lackluster in comparison.. now there's a chastity belt for sith if I ever saw one.

They said the generic Sith Warrior personality was based on Darth Vader's, right?

(summons flame shield and proceeds)

Vader wasn't a total douche; as long as you did what he told you to do you were okay with him. For instance, the 501st freaking adored him, and he considered them his most loyal and trusted soldiers. Yeah, Vader would Force Choke a guy now and again, but that was because they either failed at their assigned tasks or just insisted on screwing with him.

In the books Vader prized loyalty and respect, only getting his hands dirty for spineless Imperials and renegade Jedi. I could totally see him taking a slave on like Vette and eventually freeing her. Granted, he'd make her earn it, but he'd still do it. That's probably why the writesr force you into freeing Vette.

Edited by Malles

Not really - unprecedented levels of whine brought on by the inability to torture a person does speak volumes about a person's character. It's one thing to see it as a minor annoyance and brush it off as such. It's another to be so annoyed you feel the need to post about it.

What does it say about you, then, that you ignore that people are disappointed that they're forced to free Vette when it's out of character for them to do so, and insist it's because they want to torture her?

They said the generic Sith Warrior personality was based on Darth Vader's, right?

Vader wasn't a total douche; as long as you did what he told you to do you were okay with him. For instance, the 501st freaking adored him, and he considered them his most loyal and trusted soldiers. Yeah, Vader would Force Choke a guy now and again, but that was because they either failed at their assigned tasks or just insisted on screwing with him.

In the books Vader prized loyalty and respect, only getting his hands dirty for spineless Imperials and renegade Jedi. I could totally see him taking a slave on like Vette and eventually freeing her. Granted, he'd make her earn it, but he'd still do it. That's probably why the writesr force you into freeing Vette.

Oh, quite so. The problem comes in that, speaking personally, I don't feel Vette's earned it by the time she demands it. Everything she's done for the SW has been due to coercion rather than loyalty.

Oh, quite so. The problem comes in that, speaking personally, I don't feel Vette's earned it by the time she demands it. Everything she's done for the SW has been due to coercion rather than loyalty.

Lol. Then I must have been the only Juggernaut in the game who tanked every mob thinking, "Ya know, this would be the perfect time for Vette to put two shots through the back of my head."

Don't remember where I read it, but I do remember a Hutt saying once that the only two ways to kill a Force user were through sheer numbers or a surprise attack. Vette has access to both the entire time she is with you. She could easily be that vindictive DPS who pulls the whole room then logs out. xD

Edited by Malles

What does it say about you, then, that you ignore that people are disappointed that they're forced to free Vette when it's out of character for them to do so, and insist it's because they want to torture her?

And for the record, I was looking forward to that. I believed that Stockholm syndrome post.

Please. Vette got you into the crypt as requested getting you what you needed. She spent the entire time behind you with two rapid firing guns shooting around your head, through it. The shock collar wouldn't have helped you in the least had she chosen to do so. She completely proves her loyalty by the first time she asks. At no time does she show anything but loyalty.

But tell yourself whatever you need to justify keeping it on. ;)

I role play my SW as a type who realizes that to get to the top it takes people who are loyal to you and people you can trust. Loyalty may be obtained through fear and intimidation, but I don’t think that trust can be obtained though those means.

Just to be clear my SW is Dark 5. I enjoyed betraying and killing ever NPC in the story line. If my SW were on the Titanic she would have rushed towards the life boats just so she could trip women and children trying to get to the life boats.

As for the shock collar I took it off Vette the first time she asked. Although I chose the option to shock her first, then removed the collar, and that I would lead and she would follow.

The main reason was because I wanted to start a romance with her. (at the time I wasn’t aware that same gender romances weren’t an option)

Although I agree with those who feel that the endless loop of “take the collar off or I won’t talk to you” is a poor option. Since the option to break her no longer exists a way that the writers could have solved the issue, to advance her story, would have made it an option for her to betray you.

Basically she secretly communicates with Baras and agrees to betray you in exchange for the shock collar being removed and once the SW is dead she is set free.

The Ambush cut scene would show Vette without the collar. She explains the deal made with Baras to betray you. Maybe some other role play then fight ensues, which is unsuccessful. With the failed assassination attempt Baras in his twisted sense of humor, and a punishment to Vette and the SW returns Vette’s to you without the shock collar.

This then opens up a whole new storyline option for Vette where she is combative, defiant and rebellious towards the SW.

I realize that some people won’t like that the shock collar is removed and lost, but I think it is better the then current option.

Edited by djloukota

Please. Vette got you into the crypt as requested getting you what you needed. She spent the entire time behind you with two rapid firing guns shooting around your head, through it. The shock collar wouldn't have helped you in the least had she chosen to do so. She completely proves her loyalty by the first time she asks. At no time does she show anything but loyalty.

But tell yourself whatever you need to justify keeping it on. ;)

If you were killed by a Twi'lek slave with a shock collar on who happened to put a blaster to your head, maybe you don't deserve to be playing a Sith Warrior, specifically one who

becomes the Emperor's personal enforcer, kills two Dark Council members and countless Jedi Masters and Sith Lords.

I role play my SW as a type who realizes that to get to the top it takes people who are loyal to you and people you can trust. Loyalty may be obtained through fear and intimidation, but I don’t think that trust can be obtained though those means.

Just to be clear my SW is Dark 5. I enjoyed betraying and killing ever NPC in the story line. If my SW were on the Titanic she would have rushed towards the life boats just so she could trip women and children trying to get to the life boats.

As for the shock collar I took it off Vette the first time she asked. Although I chose the option to shock her first, then removed the collar, and that I would lead and she would follow.

The main reason was because I wanted to start a romance with her. (at the time I wasn’t aware that same gender romances weren’t an option)

Although I agree with those who feel that the endless loop of “take the collar off or I won’t talk to you” is a poor option. Since the option to break her no longer exists a way that the writers could have solved the issue, to advance her story, would have made it an option for her to betray you.

Basically she secretly communicates with Baras and agrees to betray you in exchange for the shock collar being removed and once the SW is dead she is set free.

The Ambush cut scene would show Vette without the collar. She explains the deal made with Baras to betray you. Maybe some other role play then fight ensues, which is unsuccessful. With the failed assassination attempt Baras in his twisted sense of humor, and a punishment to Vette and the SW returns Vette’s to you without the shock collar.

This then opens up a whole new storyline option for Vette where she is combative, defiant and rebellious towards the SW.

I realize that some people won’t like that the shock collar is removed and lost, but I think it is better the then current option.

How Vette could try and betray the SW.

When you pick up Jaesa, Vette proposes an alliance to free them both from you. It could even be part of the story, if you kept the shock collar on, and part of Jaesa's corruption. THAT could work in some Stockholm syndrome. They lose, Jaesa goes on to be the SW apprentice/enforcer, and Vette becomes the object the SW vents rage and frustration on.

And then still show her crying to herself in the back of this ship. If I'm gonna be evil, we're doing it right, dammit.

If you were killed by a Twi'lek slave with a shock collar on who happened to put a blaster to your head, maybe you don't deserve to be playing a Sith Warrior, specifically one who

Irrelevant since you havent done any of that yet. You were still an apprentice at the academy. And her succeeding and/or failing at the attempt isn't the important part. Only that she proved trustworthy with a pair of blasters behind your head while you were busy fighting other things. Like your rival at the academy. Instead she backs your play.

The point being, the shock collar wouldnt stop her from firing, nor would a Sith Warrior capable of your spoiler section need one to keep her in line.

becomes the Emperor's personal enforcer, kills two Dark Council members and countless Jedi Masters and Sith Lords.

There's a line Khem Val has I think sums up Force users in general pretty well.

"He is flesh. He can be killed."

Sith gotta sleep sometime. Ask Plagueis.

There's a line Khem Val has I think sums up Force users in general pretty well.

"He is flesh. He can be killed."

Sith gotta sleep sometime. Ask Plagueis.

That's different. Anyone can be killed in their sleep by anyone else (although I'm willing to bet that the truly skilled ones like the Warrior would be on their toes even while they sleep), but if you were killed, while fully awake, by a slave with a shock collar who wields a couple blasters, you are a pretty pathetic Sith.

theres a good chance that it was in the game but bioware was forced to remove it. i remember reading an article on gamespot where bioware was forced by the ntsc or simular orginaization to remove certain content involving slavery and cruelty to slaves. breaking vette might have been a last minute removal for this reason.

Idk, personally I see Vader choking the hell out of her and throwing her out the airlock :p