The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Vanguard as an alt?

gumbydpl

So I was thinking about making a Vanguard alt. As of right now I am playing as a Sith Inquisitor and loving it. The story is great and all the dark side options are awesome.

But I wanted to try something completely opposite of what I am currently. And I figured the Vanguard is the best tank the Republic has to offer.

Now I know the big drop off in DPS will take some getting used to, but is the play style overall fun for a Vanguard? Also a big component for me would be the story, so how is that as well.

Thanks!

Okay.

1)Story.

It's really quite good through the whole thing. I enjoyed it. Especially the snarky-smart-mouth comments I could make at times. Have gotten to the end, and I won't spoil it.

2)Gameplay.

You don't exactly "lose" damage. Vanguards if built right can be very very good burst or sustained DPS. They also can be very very tanky. It depends on how you want to play them.

Relatively they are a very mobile class, with very few cast-time abilities. I like them because it feels very action packed to me. Especially in PvP.

Assault does pretty good damage, you don't have to tank as a vanguard. I kill mobs way faster on my lvl47 vanguard than on my lvl34 sage. They're pretty good in pvp too and they're even better once you get the majority of your talents and you can run with an ion cell assault build. Their burst is pretty decent in pvp and you have a ton of utility like harpooning ball carriers in huttball, harpooning people into fire/acid, taunting players to reduce their damage against your team mates, using guard on your healers which transfer 55% of their damage taken to you and makes them take 5% less damage, etc.

I think the playstyle is fun but being in melee range with a blaster might be unappealing to some people.

Story is pretty good though, definitely my favorite one on republic.

Its quite easy - you don't make a vanguard alt - you're in the process of rolling your new main :)

I have a decked out level 50 gunnery commando, and on my mental list of chars i want to make, the rest are imperial side so ive been trying to figure out what to play on repub side along with my main.

I fear there may be truth in your statement because I worked long and hard on this commando, and his armormech..

only to soon make a vanguard biochemist, deck him out in twinky tanky epics, level him to 50, then discover the glory that is storm.

I FEAR YOUR WORDS

FEAR THE WORDS OF THE MAN WHO SPEAKS MANY TRUTHS

FEAR IS THE PATH TO THE DARK SIDE