Giving a grace period for STAR WARS: The Old Republic

GregZeschuk

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just entered in my registration code and it says I have 29 days beginning the 20th.... Who else is getting this?

I am too!

I dont think we have to have subscription until the 29 days are up.

and LOL @ everyone who ordered the physical copy. Are you joking? You wouldnt order the digital? LOL

Edited by Jaimeruacho

Greatfull for the 2 days but that does not resolve the Issue of the Internet retailers

that are not shipping til the 20th. So hopefully I may see my CE by the 26th have fun all.

And all you active duty and retiries that order through Gamezone will see you then.

Isn't there any other way to prevent down time for people who have valid pre-order code?

Perhaps setting up subscription and being billed the first month as well on pre-order code, I mean we already bought the game?

Some of us are getting really screwed by your retailers and speaking for myself I don't need free game time. I would just like to continue playing.

I've only got one question, though, and I'm sorry if it has been asked before: what happens to my early-access character if I register the game after the grace period?

I have this same question! There's conflicting information on sites outside of this one, and no search feature on these forums so I don't know if this question has already been answered.

I can't imagine them actually deleting characters if you don't register your game in time, though; I don't know of any MMO that's ever done that.

Isn't there any other way to prevent down time for people who have valid pre-order code?

Perhaps setting up subscription and being billed the first month as well on pre-order code, I mean we already bought the game?

Some of us are getting really screwed by your retailers and speaking for myself I don't need free game time. I would just like to continue playing.

+1

My physical copy wont be getting here till after the 6th of January, pre-ordered after beta weekend. the 14 day wait, will make it tough to catch up with friends.

Is it not possible to pay for the first month via a credit card using the pre-order code as proof of purchase, starting the billing cycle from that point and then if the real retail code has not been entered after the month, simply bill the CC for the full cost of the game (if the fear is people trying to abuse the system)

I made the mistake of assuming the pre-order code would be the only required proof of purchase :(

Releasing a game just before christmas, only allowing it to be shipped from the 20th, forcing retail codes to be applied by the 22nd.

Am I the only one one who thinks this smells of a company deliberately trying to squeeze even more money out of their customers? For the folks who ordered a retail copy, it's either an additional Origin purchase or possibly not getting to play for up to 20 days due to christmas / new year's. The grace period doesn't really appear to be a serious attempt to mend this. Correct me if I'm wrong, but right now son, I am disappoint.

As of this morning Walmart is saying that the pre-ordered Collector's Edition will be "shipping on 12-20-11" but they will not actually leave the warehouses until "12-23-11". Don't ask me to explain the inconsistency of that, I'm just repeating what Walmart CS told me. They have stated that some customers may not receive the physical copy of SWTOR CE until January 11, 2012.

Yes, JANUARY 11, 2012 delivery date for some customers.

Clearly, the 2 day grace period offered here is not going to be adequate for these Walmart customers, or may other customers who have posted here.

We, your loyal customers, have purchased these rather expensive pre-ordered editions in good faith. We did so because Bioware/EA represented to us that in doing so we would obtain early access to the game. We did not purchase these pre-ordered editions and the early access they afforded us in order to have a gap of 20 days in our service.

These shipping delays by retail agents of Bioware/EA are through no fault of our own, therefore it is unreasonable to punish us for these delays by suspending our access until the physical copies are delivered. Additionally, there is an implied merchantability issue here premised on the timeliness of product delivery and the access it affords. Bioware/EA has a responsibility to their customers to ensure that, despite the shipping delays, we have the access to the product and services we have purchased.

As I said, we, your customers, purchased your product in good faith in order to obtain early and continuted access to your product and services; all we ask of you is that you respond in kind. This thread, offering a 2 day grace period, acknowledges that Bioware/EA is aware that a problem exists and is making a effort to address that problem. Sadly, given that apparently several of the retail agents used by Bioware/EA for distribution are unable to provide delivery anywhere near within those time frames, these efforts are clearly inadequate. Contact your retail agents, such as Walmart and Amazon, and find out to what extent these delays will actually affect your customers, then adjust your grace period to meet those delays.

This can either prove to be an adversity or an opportunity for Bioware/EA. Do it wrong, and you *will* alienate thousands of loyal customers and get a major PR black eye right along with the retailers who screwed up. Do it right and you will solidify customer loyalty for those affected.

Please tell me that I didn't blow $150 bucks (in this really crappy economy) on your product so that I can sit around for the next 20 days waiting for access because you and your retail agents couldn't get it right. That won't make me a satisfied customer at all.

I guess you should complain to Wal-Mart about the shipping problems.

Playing devil's advocate here. So you pre-ordered the Retail version of the game, and let's say you ordered the Collector's Edition. How does Bioware/EA know that you are actually going to use the code from that purchase to play the game? You could have bought the CE version of the game so you could then try to re-sell the CE version to someone else for double the cost since we all know there will be limited copies of the CE version. I've already seen people trying to sell that version online for $300-$500.

You ordered the physical retail version, you knew the risks of doing that during christmas and you still did it. Deal with it.

And just so you know, I ordered the CE version too but I ordered mine from Best Buy and mine will be on my doorstep on the 21st, so the 2-day grace period works out great for me.

:)

Why exactly do I need to add a payment code during my 30 free days? I bought the game and it came with 30 free days--shouldn't I be able to play until those are up and THEN register my payment info? What if I decide 5 days from now that I don't want to play anymore? Am I saddled with a $15 charge for a game I didn't get to trial? I'm sorry, but this just seems like shady business practices to sneak money out of my pocket and into EA's.

The grace period won't cut it for me unfortunately, the game won't arrive here until dec 25 as far as the order page is concerned (I ordered from amazon). Man this sucks, that's 3 days of not being able to login while youre guildies are leveling up.

Also what's the point of pre-ordering if the game gets to you AFTER the stores get it?? Fail Amazon.

Edited by ddayyy

@Lusidious

/golfclap Yay for you that BestBuy is coming through for you. Enjoy playing while those of us who are getting screwed over by the distributor and Bioware/EA sit out for the next couple of weeks.

But, as a matter of fact, I have taken it up with Walmart. However, I'm also taking it up here with Bioware/EA because the Collectors Edition is not available through the Bioware online store, requiring people to use one of the retail agents Bioware lists on the SWTOR website. Those agents are: Walmart.com, Best Buy, GameStop, Amazon, Target (with Walmart.com, the retailer experiencing the biggest delivery problems, being listed first). That listing of retailers on their site gives customers the impression that these retailers are working with Bioware to distribute the product in a manner consistent with Bioware's deadlines and can be trusted.

I have no way of knowing whether delayed delivery is solely the fault of Walmart or if it is because Bioware is not getting sufficient quantities of the product to their distributors. Frankly, I don't give a flying damn who is at fault. Walmart is acting as an approved agent of Bioware/EA and so it is up to Bioware/EA to fix the problem by extending the grace period to match the delivery delays. If Bioware/EA choses to use crappy agents, then I suggest in the future they not list those retailers as sources on their website so that stupid, trusting customers like myself don't make the mistake of thinking that we can trust them and Bioware to take proper care of any problems that arise.

As stated in a prior post, there is an implied merchantabilty issue here. By establishing an arbitrary deadline Bioware/EA is creating a situation in which the product that many of us purchased in good faith through their retail agents is being rendered unusable. Since Bioware/EA itself was promoting the sale of the pre-orders as a means to gain early access to the product/services, and because Bioware/EA made the software for using the product/service available to us through a digital download so that we could make use of the product we purchased in a timely manner consistent with the advertised dates of availability, customers have every reasonable expectation for the product's continued usability without interruption of service.

It doesn't matter whether Bioware/EA is directly responsible for the delays or its agents are responsible, they still have the obligation to provide a usable product to customers or make reasonable accomodations to address any problems. Given that their distributors are saying that the delays in shipping could result in delivery dates of January 11th, the 2 day grace period is obviously not adequate or reasonable.

It's also not very good customer service to assume that one's customer base is a bunch of criminals and treat them like one before they've even had a chance to receive their product. Such behavior isn't designed to engender good will or customer loyalty (something that's important in a subscription based business).

And really, what is lost in extending the grace period to meet the delivery dates stated by retailers? You get a couple freeloaders that slide through for no more than 20 days. Frankly, Bioware/EA has had thousands of them playing for free for months in beta, many openly stating that they weren't submitting testing information and that they did not intend to pay for the game when it went life. The minor loss in revenue incurred in those 20 days compared to the risk of losing potentially hundreds of customers who get disgusted, cancel their orders (as I came very close to doing yesterday) and go to another game is negligible compared to the good will and customer loyalty built by accomodating the thousands who are being affected by these shipping delays.

@Lusidious

/golfclap...

I have to agree here. I ordered my CE way back on the first day of pre-orders, I had my pre-order code in and accepted within 8 hours of you being allowed to. I bought mine from Amazon and it just got shipped out! Now I'm stuck waiting till the 23rd at whatever time Brown Santa happens to get to my door to be able to play again (after the "grace period" ends tonight). Bioware/EA definitely made the right choice to create the grace period, but I don't believe it was created long enough.

As everything else about this problem has been already said I'll stop there. I'm still going to play, I'm still going to love the game, but I wish I wasn't penalized for something out of my control (without paying another $20 ontop of already $150).

Wow, 2 days... really helps the minority out... I won't receive mine until the 31st! They already have my payment, got to love a captive audience... You would think for how massive this game is there would have been better planning for this issue. Product codes should have been mailed with preorder... Seriously upset...:mad::confused:

Respectfully Pissed,

Wow, 2 days... really helps the minority out... I won't receive mine until the 31st! They already have my payment, got to love a captive audience... You would think for how massive this game is there would have been better planning for this issue. Product codes should have been mailed with preorder... Seriously upset...:mad::confused:

Respectfully Pissed,

Exactly we should have our product keys is there not a way to tell what the serial number is for each of our products and someway to correlate to the product keys so we can actually play on time? I mean really why cant people who preordered the game play after launch?!?!?!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.