New Ability Bar Cooldown effect

Sammojo

While I appreciate the attempt to make it more obvious which spells were on cooldown, I feel the new effects are just making it harder to see which abilities are available. The flashing and washout effects obscure the visibility of the abilities, and the flashing occurs after it has come off cooldown (making it difficult to react quickly as you cannot quite tell if it is available or just part of the GCD flashing).

All that was needed was to add a dark blue or reddish tinge to the abilities which were on cooldown, as the old GCD effect was sufficient and didn't obscure vision.

Is anyone else not liking the new effect?

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greetings folks!

The previous version of this thread has exceeded our post threshold and we've recreated it for continued discussion. Please also be sure to see this thread by Joveth Gonzalez for additional information.

As a gentle reminder to everyone, please remember the following:

• Insults - Please do not resort to or use them in any way in your posts. Posts should be productive, not destructive.
  • Trolling - Please do not post messages that are purposefully designed to provoke, antagonize, or otherwise elicit a negative emotional response.
  • Agree to Disagree - Be respectful of others' viewpoints even if they are opposite of your own. Discuss disagreements constructively.
  • Flag, Don't Fight - Utilize the Flag Post feature to report possible rules violations, rather than responding to or fighting them.
  • Ignoring - If you feel you simply cannot get along with another community member, please place them on your ignore list.

Thank you!

For me I don't necessarily have to be looking at the bars, my peripheral vision picks up on it fast. Real fast. It's eyestrain pain (feels like flu if you don't know what that feels like) quickly followed by a headache.

I sense a trend in many posts that some folks think those of us complaining are are exaggerating or outright lying. In my case nothing could be farther from the truth. I have poor eyesight and take a medication that makes me photosensitive. This game was fine until the patch had the flashing start.

I've never before had a physiological response to a video game before this current situation arose.

Not everyone responds the same to this type of stimulus.

I don't want to spoil anyones game. I just wish Bioware would simply offer an option to kill the blasted flashing on my end.

I don't see why a simple separately down-loadable patch to my client couldn't kill this game killing effect for me and other suffering from it. I don't see why this would necessitate any game downtime either if done with a client side patch.

(Reposted from recently closed thread)

Maxed out another thread and no timeline when this will be fixed. there was maybe what? one ilum thread and its being fixed tonight. I and many other cannot play the game right now due to the dizziness and headaches it causes and nothing is done. If this was Blizzard... well this would have never happened, but if it was the change would have been reverted in hours not days. Good luck keeping customers for this game when you clearly cannot be bothered to fix a health issue caused by an unnecessary change to the Ui. Edited by gryhmr

I sense a trend in many posts that some folks think those of us complaining are are exaggerating or outright lying.

or they just don't have a highlvl char. with a char on the low 20s, I can live it with. with a skill bloated lvl 50 char not that much...

Edited by Graburr

Some like it because it slaps them in the face and says :hey it's time to do something!", Others hate it because you can't anticipate and que your next action before the GCD is up accurately because it doesn't show if the ability has the resources to be used before then.

So basically since the Ilum fix is going out tonight. And we haven't heard word of any kind of solution I'm assuming that there will be no GCD fix happening tonight. And as I see it very unlikely that Bioware would shut down the servers two nights in a row for fixes I think basically Bioware has given the finger to everyone who currently finds the game unplayable.

I think they may be shy to respond to the complaints of physical ill effects caused by the recent patch for fear of giving ammo to any possible future lawsuits.

Their total lack of response to this specific issue as well as their CS people deleting my in game ticket with no response whatsoever has led me to this belief.

Agree with how terrible the new GCD look is. As a sniper, its hard as hell to see when im in cover, or if I've been knocked out of cover.

It's also insanely difficult to see when your execute is available if you're doing a constant rotation.

reposting in this new thread:

They new cooldown indicator has taken a step back from the previous iteration, at least for my playstyle and my class.

In the previous iteration (before 1.1.2), abilities that were usable still appeared "lit up", even though they were on CD/GCD. The cooldown indicator still scrolled down the ability, but the ability itself was actually lit up, indicating it is usable the instant it comes off CD.

This was PERFECT for me. It let me actually predict the next ability I would use before I used it. Since I play rage/focus based classes, it's not as simple as knowing the next ability to press and pressing it; I had to know if I even had enough rage/focus to press it, and if I didn't I would have to change my rotation. With the previous iteration I KNEW I could use an ability because the ability was lit up, even if on GCD or CD. For other classes this might not be a big deal, but for a rage base class that needs to build our own rage through abilities, it helps immensely if we know it the split second we look at an ability if we have enough rage to use it.

Now with this new iteration, the ability goes dim (and has a white border around it) if it is on CD or GCD.

This basically means I cannot accurately predict my next ability. I absolutely stinks. Considering how 10 hours ago I was playing with the PERFECT system for my class, it really gets to me that I have to use this new, inferior system. This means that my ability bar is constantly completely dimmed out because something is always on GCD/CD. I cannot look at an ability and tell if I can use it once the GCD is up. It really hurts my enjoyment of the game.

PLEASE give us the option of using the previous iteration of cooldown watch.

And only apply the white borders to abilities that actually have a CD longer than the GCD, thx.

I am loving this game but I don't understand why it is so difficult for Bioware to get this problem, and it is a big problem, right.

All you need is a an ability to be lit up when it is available and for it to be blacked out when it is not available (on cooldown). You can still have a line showing the GCD / ability cooldown progress but there definately needs to be the obvious contrast between lit up and blacked out as we all need to know which abilities are up to use next.

Simples!!

seriously, this is really not cool, ignoring your player base, and not responding to a serious prob which affecting our ability to play and giving us migraines, they indecisiveness is costing them and game, valuable subscribers

reposting in this new thread:

They new cooldown indicator has taken a step back from the previous iteration, at least for my playstyle and my class.

In the previous iteration (before 1.1.2), abilities that were usable still appeared "lit up", even though they were on CD/GCD. The cooldown indicator still scrolled down the ability, but the ability itself was actually lit up, indicating it is usable the instant it comes off CD.

This was PERFECT for me. It let me actually predict the next ability I would use before I used it. Since I play rage/focus based classes, it's not as simple as knowing the next ability to press and pressing it; I had to know if I even had enough rage/focus to press it, and if I didn't I would have to change my rotation. With the previous iteration I KNEW I could use an ability because the ability was lit up, even if on GCD or CD. For other classes this might not be a big deal, but for a rage base class that needs to build our own rage through abilities, it helps immensely if we know it the split second we look at an ability if we have enough rage to use it.

Now with this new iteration, the ability goes dim (and has a white border around it) if it is on CD or GCD.

This basically means I cannot accurately predict my next ability. I absolutely stinks. Considering how 10 hours ago I was playing with the PERFECT system for my class, it really gets to me that I have to use this new, inferior system. This means that my ability bar is constantly completely dimmed out because something is always on GCD/CD. I cannot look at an ability and tell if I can use it once the GCD is up. It really hurts my enjoyment of the game.

PLEASE give us the option of using the previous iteration of cooldown watch.

And only apply the white borders to abilities that actually have a CD longer than the GCD, thx.

and why did they lock the threads ?? do they not acknowledge the problem, r they that retarded ??

Wait... I read in the previous topic that they're going to fix this in 1.2 which is going to be next month?!!! That is unacceptable! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

No, the told us that the long-term aim for SWTOR is to provide flexibility in UI choices and the changes in 1.2 will allow more of that.

But they didn't tell us what they plan to do with the (for some classes) broken GCD / CD animation. The official ETA for the fix (whatever it will fix) is soon™

Edited by Duffz

Just going to throw in my opinion,

I was able to use the last one and now they changed it I can still use it. I look down at the toolbar and seen a cd with a few secs left, so it works and it tells me what I need,

I dont get an epileptic fit when it flashes.

and why did they lock the threads ?? do they not acknowledge the problem, r they that retarded ??

They locked the previous 2000 posts at 1000 post count each. It's just how they do it. Mods just close the post and restart it themselves.

So this thread is now 2,000+ posts long.

Just going to throw in my opinion,

I was able to use the last one and now they changed it I can still use it. I look down at the toolbar and seen a cd with a few secs left, so it works and it tells me what I need,

I dont get an epileptic fit when it flashes.

Well lucky you.... a non helpful comment. The new GCD/Skill bar animation is appalling. It's unclear, dimly contrasted and is a definite retrograde step.

If you are in the minority that likes it then can I suggest you ask your guide dog for their opinion ;)

I am trying to get used to this change but honestly it won't be possible.

The new CD animation on single abilities is fine but the whole GCD now makes impossible to tell when you unlock a special ability, I am mostly talking about the ones that have a % chance to activate.

It makes the whole combat now much less dynamic and rather boring. Hope it gets reverted.

Edited by demotivator