It's kinda ironic

Godzillamax

True, but then why pay $15/mo for potentially months and months until the next content patch comes out? Kinda defeats the whole point of a subscription based MMO, paying to not play while you wait for the developers to put in more content.

Not really. Not if you can come out with a content patch ever month or two or three, etc. Then you have people resetting that clock. Even if they finish the patch in a day, they still get the money for the month.

And it's not unheard of. I would regularly resub to WoW (I assume that's the impetuous of why you write it ToR?) when they would come out with new content. I would do the content, or at least the content I wanted. Unsub. Rinse repeat.

I doubt I was the only person who did that.

It doesn't defeat the purpose at all. From your perspective, someone who wants to spend more time, you consider it a lessened purpose, but it's not defeating it at all. It's just a more casual way of doing things than in the nostalgic past (that I personally am glad is in the past - I do not need it to become another job like it was, then).

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

THIS. If when you reached max level you had a feeling of "now things get interesting" as opposed to "now what am I supposed to do" that would make all the difference. Levels 1-49 should really be the price for admission with major content at the higher levels as the main attraction.

I always viewed levels 1-49 as training. Leveling up teaches you how to play your class, how to use your abilities, etc. That way by the time you reach max level you are competent at your role. Also, leveling up gives you a chance to realize if you like your chosen class or not with little investment of time. By the time you reach levels 10-20 you have a good understanding of whether you like your class/role, and if you don't the time spent coming to that realization is minimal so starting anew does't feel like a burden.

True, but then why pay $15/mo for potentially months and months until the next content patch comes out? Kinda defeats the whole point of a subscription based MMO, paying to not play while you wait for the developers to put in more content.

Who said you should keep paying? suspend your account, it will wait for you if you won't be absent for too long.

Infinite content would be impossible to have. But we do pay $15/month for something.

For the content patches that are rolling out faster than any newly-launched MMO has ever launched content patches?

Look, dudes.. the game's not perfect but there's way too much hate here. I really like it. Lots of people really like it. Get over it.

That way by the time you reach max level you are competent at your role. .

I love how the semantics changed. At the beginning of this thread "max level" was being called "end game" but once I pointed out that its called end game for a reason and not beginning game, now we're talking abotu max level.

Let's rephrase your post.

"That way by the time you reach the end game you are competent at your role."

And 1-49 is training...for the end...

??

I've got an idea. Learn to love level 1. It is actual content. And so is level 12, and 41, and 19. The GAME...before the END game...that you're writing off as training...is pretty awesome.

You can't just say the first 50 levels of content don't count as content. That's ludicrous.

Edited by Montiphus

Raiding content is finite as well. FYI. So your concern isn't end game content...it's total game content. You play more hours than the content stream can support. Raiding might as well be level 51, 52, 53 as it's what you do next. In short, you are "done" because you went from start to finish before the finish line got moved. But there's ALWAYS going to be a finish line. Pace yourself. Drink some water. Don't cramp up.

Perhaps, but prior MMOs had a much, much slower pace and higher difficulty level. My guild in ToR cleared EV on our first shot in ~3 hours. Only SoA presented a challenge, and that was mostly because it kept bugging on us (players stuck in Mind Traps, etc.). Conversely when my same guild tackled WoW our first time, then Blackwing Lair, it took us countless hours and hours to down even the first boss. This dichotomy is somewhat the genesis for my original post (and use of the much misunderstood word "irony"). I have no desire to go back to raiding being like it was in vanilla WoW, but at the same time IMO that level of difficulty and commitment that is lacking in ToR thus creating a game with a much faster pace. In vanilla WoW that difficulty meant there was ample time for the developers to put in more content (game launched with Molten Core and Ony and then Blackwing Lair was added later if memory serves).

Who said you should keep paying? suspend your account, it will wait for you if you won't be absent for too long.

Might just do that. Seems I'm just hanging on because I don't want to let down my guild/friends. But I suspect many of them are in the same boat.

For the content patches that are rolling out faster than any newly-launched MMO has ever launched content patches?

Look, dudes.. the game's not perfect but there's way too much hate here. I really like it. Lots of people really like it. Get over it.

There is a difference between a content patch, and your routine patches to fix bugs and stuff. ;) The game has only seen one "content" patch to date that added a new level 50 flashpoint (Kaon under Seige).

There is a difference between a content patch, and your routine patches to fix bugs and stuff. ;) The game has only seen one "content" patch to date that added a new level 50 flashpoint (Kaon under Seige).

Damn, only one content patch in the first month? That's ridiculous. They ought to put out new content every week...or every day...or just constantly...I mean, that's the only really fair way to make sure that EVERYONE can constantly play new content no matter how much they play.

Do yourself a favor...hop on the balloon...and take a ride for 45 minutes. Breathe. It's gonna be ok.

Damn, only one content patch in the first month? That's ridiculous. They ought to put out new content every week...or every day...or just constantly...I mean, that's the only really fair way to make sure that EVERYONE can constantly play new content no matter how much they play.

So you feel that the addition of one four-person level 50 flashpoint in two months time, at an additional cost of $15 to you, is sufficient content at a good value. I disagree. We can agree to disagree.

Do yourself a favor...hop on the balloon...and take a ride for 45 minutes. Breathe. It's gonna be ok.

I did, it de-spawned on my twice. :p

There was a time when $50 bought you a stand alone game that would be 50-100 hours of entertainment. Then 6-8 months months later a add-on would be released (new levels, new places, etc.) that might have cost $15-$20 and added an additional 20-50 hours of game time. I'm not sure anymore what the value is of paying a monthly subscription for a MMO. Am I paying just so the developers can fix bugs? Paying in advance for a future add-on? Perhaps my gaming expectations have simply changed.

I kinda view an MMO like a book that I bought for $60 and now spend an additional $15/month to read regardless of whether I take my time to read the book over 6 months or I finish it in the first 6 weeks. Sure at some point in the future the author will add a new chapter or two, and each month he/she will go back and fix some typos in earlier chapters, but is that worth $15/mo? Guess it all depends on how fast you read.

Edited by Godzillamax

Perhaps, but prior MMOs had a much, much slower pace and higher difficulty level. My guild in ToR cleared EV on our first shot in ~3 hours. Only SoA presented a challenge, and that was mostly because it kept bugging on us (players stuck in Mind Traps, etc.). Conversely when my same guild tackled WoW our first time, then Blackwing Lair, it took us countless hours and hours to down even the first boss. This dichotomy is somewhat the genesis for my original post (and use of the much misunderstood word "irony"). I have no desire to go back to raiding being like it was in vanilla WoW, but at the same time IMO that level of difficulty and commitment that is lacking in ToR thus creating a game with a much faster pace. In vanilla WoW that difficulty meant there was ample time for the developers to put in more content (game launched with Molten Core and Ony and then Blackwing Lair was added later if memory serves).

Hey buddy.

I was in a raiding guild in WoW Vanilla too.

It's time to let go.

The days of Molten Core and Blackwing Lair are long gone. You should've got the hint of that after WoWs 3rd expansion.

Hey buddy.

I was in a raiding guild in WoW Vanilla too.

It's time to let go.

The days of Molten Core and Blackwing Lair are long gone. You should've got the hint of that after WoWs 3rd expansion.

I didn't play much past the first expansion. Gave up playing video games altogether pretty much after that. I tried coming back to gaming with Rift, but lasted maybe 3-4 months (mostly because my pals were not playing it). ToR and BF3 are first games I've really put time into since then. I enjoy BF3 since its straight forward and mindless. ToR, well it has been fun because I love Star Wars, but it is probably time to put the 'ole account on hold for a bit.

Edited by Godzillamax