It's kinda ironic

Godzillamax

So here we are, just a few months after the game became available for retail play, and pretty much most of my guild and friends list is populated by people that no longer log in and play. I enjoy ToR, but I found myself today logging in, then just a few minutes later, logging out. After I logged out I realized something rather ironic.

When I played EQ then WoW the games became like a second job. The grind to max level was slower and more arduous than in ToR, and hitting max level was really just the beginning of your second job. After hitting max level came the less than enjoyable process of keying for instances (and helping guildies get keyed), the time consuming process of gathering materials needed for raiding (potions, elixirs, flasks, etc.), not to mention the sheer countless hours spent trying to actually beat the boss fights.

But the payoff was a real sense of accomplishment and reward for your hard work when you and 39 other people defeated a boss or cleared the whole instance. That sense of accomplishment is what kept many people coming back week after week to raid. I in no way wish to ever go back to my video games being a second job. And eventually that level of involvement burned most people out. But after logging out of ToR tonight it made me realize something that I feel is missing in ToR, that sense of accomplishment and reward.

Here we are, just a mere few months after the game was released and I've experienced almost all the content the game has to offer. The thought of running the game's two operations over and over again, just to gear up so we can run the same operations over and over again but at a harder setting, just doesn't seem to have much appeal.

I guess I simply find it ironic that what made EQ or WoW raiding rewarding is precisely what few people want anymore in their MMOs (myself included), but then when we get what we want (easier MMOs) many of us are incapable of achieving that same sense of accomplishment and reward that keeps us coming back week after week (even if we griped and complained the whole time about it).

Maybe future MMO makers will consider this, and put more emphasis on their end-game content than just the journey there. Afterall, while the journey is fun, eventually you get to the end of it and need something that keeps you coming back for more.

Edited by Godzillamax

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Irony has multiple definitions, one of which is:

an outcome of events contrary to what was, or might have been, expected.

To me, its ironic that my expectation (sense of reward and accomplishment) is contrary to the reality of my experiences with ToR's end-game content while at the same time my experiences with EQ/WoW raiding was a sense of reward and accomplishment from something that for all intents and purposes most people thought to be unrewarding.

Irony has multiple definitions, one of which is:

an outcome of events contrary to what was, or might have been, expected.

To me, its ironic that my expectation (sense of reward and accomplishment) is contrary to the reality of my experiences with ToR's end-game content while at the same time my experiences with EQ/WoW raiding was a sense of reward and accomplishment from something that for all intents and purposes most people thought to be unrewarding.

hmm i understood that perfectly guess some people just need it spelled out for them.

Its just one of those instances of "be careful what you wish for, you just might get it"

I am in the position of being a fairly casual player though so while i loved the old school way of raiding when i had the time to do it, i don't so much anymore but i love MMOs. i guess you just have to take the good with the bad. guess you really cant have your cake and eat it too

So here we are, just a few months after the game became available for retail play,

You should really ditch that Mayan calendar and buy one that uses real world information.

The game hasn't even been out for two full months yet, let alone 'a few months after retail'.

You should really ditch that Mayan calendar and buy one that uses real world information.

The game hasn't even been out for two full months yet, let alone 'a few months after retail'.

Lets see, a substantial majority of subscribers gained access to the game around December 13th, and it's February 8th. That is 58 days. That is pretty darn close to two months time.

What is the next thing you fanbois are going to nitpick?

Edited by Godzillamax

First, they attacked you claiming you don't know what irony means, failed. Then, they said you don't know how to count days, failed. When all else fails, they'll tell you to unsubscribe.

The game was fun while it lasted. It had plenty of content, but it was just too easy to complete in so many different ways. Completing Flashpoints was unnecessary for raiding, and PvP gear was easily acquired. Now I just log on for raids and wait till the next big patch comes out. Question is if i consider $14 a month worth that.

Now I just log on for raids and wait till the next big patch comes out. Question is if i consider $14 a month worth that.

Isn't that pretty much every MMO after a bit of time at endgame? I know I, as well as many other people, did exactly that in WoW after every content patch and expansion.

Isn't that pretty much every MMO after a bit of time at endgame? I know I, as well as many other people, did exactly that in WoW after every content patch and expansion.

Compared to WoW these raids are a joke in difficulty. HM operations can be cleared in an hour each, and nightmare mode is pointless. It only takes 2 days a week to clear all the raid content, WoW took much longer. I understand that an MMO takes time to develop, which is what I'm being patient for. This game has great potential, but during economic hardship who the hell wants to wait around?

the problem is, people want to advance their character, which is done via items in the eq-clones. and theses items are most of the time found in raids. there's rarely a different avenue to get gear.

What we ask for isn't necessarily what we truly want or need.

There's certainly a middle ground; I think WoW came close, but tripped up in a few ways. Catering entirely to casuals certainly leaves an unrewarding experience, because they're in completely the wrong genre to be catered to.

Honestly most of the people I know are on the fence lately about the game, They love it, and know it has great potential, but at 50 options for doing things are limited, Not everybody likes rolling alts.

Next major content patch is going to be a major factor for people staying at this point I think, Ill probably stay regardless. $15 a month isnt much at all. But unless they release some pretty fantastic stuff to keep people playing hours on end, they will lose a noticeable chunk of the 50s crowd I think.

Also to the OP, Friendslists arent account wide. I dont add every friend I have on 1 character to the other, only a select few usually. And the list grows from there. its pretty populated on reach character, but those people have alts as well I assume

I think part of the problem is the tendency players (WoW players especially) have of blowing through content without paying attention or seeking out "side quests," or, frankly, remembering how to have fun in these types of games. If you're approaching it like a job (no offense, but from the sound of your post that's exactly what you're doing) and putting your head down and plowing through just to get to the end then you're really missing the point--especially with this game.

I do agree about WoW becoming more work than fun, which is a big part of why I quit. Another part is the story in that game is so damn convoluted now (seriously, pandas?) that I'm not even sure the devs understand the lore anymore...

I approached this game differently-- I've played this game casually and have been kind of dragging my feet through content. I don't log in for four to six hours every single day (for one I dont have that kind of time anymore). I subscribed a couple of weeks after launch and don't have a single max character yet. My highest level is only 25 right now actually. Although, she is level 12 PvP ( a HUGE accomplishment in this still developing PvP system) and has all of her crafting skills above 200 so far. She's completed several space missions and is progressing through her story nicely. I've started six other characters and have been bouncing around thier stories for the sheer enjoyment of it. I've only done a few flashpoints so far because the opportunity can be difficult to find, and, while they're well done, they are not the main appeal of this game to me.

I'm not sure the "sense of wonder" from the first few months or even years of WoW can ever be regained, but there is something to be said for how you approach a new game. If you bring the style you played with the last year to two years of WoW (blowing through content to show off phat lewtz in Stormwinds lolz) then you're going to find almost everything disappointing, particularly a story-driven RPG like this...

tl; dr: while I get your point, I think your approach might be to blame