Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

The GPU SWTOR Usage Challenge!

Frostea

Edit: I'm Looking for a GPU Activity/Usage Percentage Graph, *NOT FPS*

Now, this thread is here to find those of you out there who have decent computer builds AND are not experience GPU usage problems.

My challenge I pose to you all is to make a video or screen showing you getting a GPU usage graph is staying at a constant 93-99% + You must be fighting in an Ilum PvP battle with at least 20 people on each side. If you go the screen shot route, you must show all three things in the same picture.

Post your computer build, as I am most interested. People elsewhere on the SWTOR forums claim with no proof that they get zero graphical performance problems whatsoever in PvP and that nothing is wrong with the engine. I would like to see proof of such a feat.

Edited by Frostea

Ctrl + Shift + f to show fps, then look on the lower left of screen.

Mine nosedives the second I get around people, and I am just talking about fleet or anywhere people congregate.

Edited by Qoojo

Now, this thread is here to find those of you out there who have decent computer builds AND are not experience GPU usage problems.

My challenge I pose to you all is to make a video or screen showing you getting at least 30 FPS in SWTOR + GPU usage graph is staying at a constant 93-99% + You must be fighting in an Ilum PvP battle with at least 20 people on each side. If you go the screen shot route, you must show all three things in the same picture.

Post your computer build, as I am most interested. People elsewhere on the SWTOR forums claim with no proof that they get zero FPS problems whatsoever in PvP and that nothing is wrong with the engine. I would like to see proof of such a feat.

I have a high end rig (8 months ago)

I don't have a K series Proc ( 3.6 quad core unlocked multiplier , OC'ed to 3.8.)

I have 1600 speed ram.OC'ed Timings, slow as far as what is standard now

I DO have 580 Gtx in Sli

I average in all situations 30 to 80 Fps, depending on rendering needs ( high PoP areas to low).

Edited by GothicSaint

My challenge I pose to you all is to make a video or screen showing you getting at least 30 FPS in SWTOR + GPU usage graph is staying at a constant 93-99% + You must be fighting in an Ilum PvP battle with at least 20 people on each side. If you go the screen shot route, you must show all three things in the same picture.

Post your computer build, as I am most interested. People elsewhere on the SWTOR forums claim with no proof that they get zero FPS problems whatsoever in PvP and that nothing is wrong with the engine. I would like to see proof of such a feat.

My crossfire 5950s don't ever cap. From my experience the CPU seems to be the bigger bottleneck when surrounded by a ton of players. No screens, because i don't give a #%^* if you believe me...

at work right now so i cannot post screenshots but i can definately say that after AMD released the new 12.1 cap a few days ago (which improves crossfire performance for swtor) i now get a constant steady 60 fps anywhere in the game especially in problem spots where i'd only get like 20-30 fps before. all settings set to high. the in game AA doesnt run well with me so i turned off AA in the game and i use catalyst control center to enable AA & AF etc... my build if your interested: (AMD 1100T cpu @ 4ghz, asus sabertooth 990fx mobo, 8 gigs ddr3 ram @ 1866, 2x 6870's in crossfire, 120gb ocz vertex 3 ssd) its an overkill for swtor, but was built to run bf3 and skyrim on all ultra settings.

tldr: after the AMD 12.1 cap i am now getting a constant 50-60 fps with vsync on & all high settings

edit: forgot to mention that i used msi afterburner to check gpu usage on both cards and they are both running over 96% while ingame

Edited by Saalemx

at work right now so i cannot post screenshots but i can definately say that after AMD released the new 12.1 cap a few days ago (which improves crossfire performance for swtor) i now get a constant steady 60 fps anywhere in the game especially in problem spots where i'd only get like 20-30 fps before. all settings set to high. the in game AA doesnt run well with me so i turned off AA in the game and i use catalyst control center to enable AA & AF etc... my build if your interested: (AMD 1100T cpu @ 4ghz, asus sabertooth 990fx mobo, 8 gigs ddr3 ram @ 1866, 2x 6870's in crossfire, 120gb ocz vertex 3 ssd) its an overkill for swtor, but was built to run bf3 and skyrim on all ultra settings.

tldr: after the AMD 12.1 cap i am now getting a constant 50-60 fps with vsync on & all high settings

edit: forgot to mention that i used msi afterburner to check gpu usage on both cards and they are both running over 96% while ingame

As has been discussed in other threads, it's been theorized a major problem with GPU utilization in this game has been heavy asset streaming from the Hard Drive. But since you have a SSD, that problem might not be bottlenecking you. Interesting information. Thank you for the post.

Also, however, I'm more interested in the Ilum PvP area, where it is very character and ability use heavy.

Edited by Frostea

I get about 45-60 fps in a warzone, all options maxed - vsync enabled HD resolutions. In a 16 man raid I stay pegged at 60... however, in a big Ilum battle my average is about 15fps. Fleet in a heavy 250+ shard near the GTN, for example can drop me into the 20's. i7 2600k, 2x gtx 570's.

I have a buddy with a much less robust system claiming he had zero fps issues... Went over to his apartment last weekend and asked him to turn on fps while he was running around a repub low pop fleet shard... 10-15 fps. He did a huttball and never got above 25. I have no idea why he lied about his fps - but I'm betting a lot of other people are doing the same.

I get about 45-60 fps in a warzone, all options maxed - vsync enabled HD resolutions. In a 16 man raid I stay pegged at 60... however, in a big Ilum battle my average is about 15fps. Fleet in a heavy 250+ shard near the GTN, for example can drop me into the 20's. i7 2600k, 2x gtx 570's.

I have a buddy with a much less robust system claiming he had zero fps issues... Went over to his apartment last weekend and asked him to turn on fps while he was running around a repub low pop fleet shard... 10-15 fps. He did a huttball and never got above 25. I have no idea why he lied about his fps - but I'm betting a lot of other people are doing the same.

Still though, more interested in the GPU usage graph out of personal curiosity. Less interested in the FPS.

Edited by Frostea

Honestly most consumer level cards aren't designed to run full 100% constantly when gaming. Those who DO reach fairly steady 100% usage are those working on extremely complex CAD drawings and such. That's one of the main reasons why quadro cards cost more then the equivalent gaming card. That and the quadro cards are tuned for a higher degree of precision.

You're only going to hit 100% usage in programs like Furmark which are basically designed to overheat your GPU.

Edited by Tool_of_Society

This game's engine cannot handle several people on the screen at the same time! HELLO! It should be obvious to you all by now. Read up on the Hero engine and you'll see.

1) This is why you only have 4 people in a party.

2) This is why raids are only 16 people.

3) This is why you have instanced worlds all over the place.

"Hero Engine - the quintessential choice for creating an outdated DX9 MMO. EST. 1998"

Edited by Proto

Honestly most consumer level cards aren't designed to run full 100% constantly when gaming. Those who DO reach fairly steady 100% usage are those working on extremely complex CAD drawings and such. That's one of the main reasons why quadro cards cost more then the equivalent gaming card. That and the quadro cards are tuned for a higher degree of precision.

You're only going to hit 100% usage in programs like Furmark which are basically designed to overheat your GPU.

Yes, I understand that. But most high end games, on high settings, the GPU will try to aim for giving you a decent frame rate, IE this number is sometimes bounded at 60, but depends on your setup.

However, what has been observed in Swtor, once there is a large number of characters on the screen, GPU activity decreases rather than increases, which indicates a bottleneck problem somewhere. This is what I'm trying to study.

Edited by Frostea

I couldnt get an steady reading i sat in illum base and there was no one around except two people and it keeps fluctuating between 29.5 and 59 about every two seconds. I have all my graphics setting on low. hope this helps.

oh forgot my comp specs I7 2600 3.40 ghz 12gbs of ram

Edited by Ramurdyne

Ill list my system fiirst

Case: Cooler Master HAF X Blue Edition

Motherboard: EVGA P67 FTW

GPU: EVGA Superclocked GTX 560

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k, stock settings, stock CPU Cooler for now

PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold Series 1000W

HDD: Western Digital Velociraptor 150GB 10,000RPM

Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)

Keyboard: Logitech G11 keyboard

Mouse: Logitech G9X

Mousepad: Cyber Snipa Tracer Glowing blue mousepad

Monitor: Sanyo DP52440, 52' LCD TV, (1920x1080 running with a 25ft HDMI current version cord)

I have EVGA Percision on and in the game, in widows mode it is showing this ON FLEET.

FPS: 65

GPU Temp: 49C

GPU Usage: 99%

Fan Speed: 60%

Fan RPM: 2700

Core clock: 850

Shader Clock: 1701

Memory clock: 2052

Fan Speed: Auto with automatic fan control proterties turned on so the hotter it gets, the faster the fan goes.

I hope this helps as I dont know how to graph the stuff you want.

Edited by Darth_Grissom

if you're in a huge battle and get low fps and your GPU usage is low that means ONE THING AND THIS ONE THING ONLY: your cpu is bottlenecking, a lot of data is flowing in and your cpu does not manage well to send it over to the gpu to render.

that's all.

this game handles big groups of players horribly. Warzones are already pushing mid-high end systems so how does anyone expect battles with 30+ players on each side to run well...

Edited by mufutiz

if you're in a huge battle and get low fps and your GPU usage is low that means ONE THING AND THIS ONE THING ONLY: your cpu is bottlenecking, a lot of data is flowing in and your cpu does not manage well to send it over to the gpu to render.

that's all.

this game handles big groups of players horribly. Warzones are already pushing mid-high end systems so how does anyone expect battles with 30+ players on each side to run well...

The CPU bottleneck *does* happen for swtor on large player areas; I for one know it is happening to one of my desktops. But it has also been shown that for certain high end machines, that none of the CPU cores are maxing out, with none of them having any high sustained load. The one thing that does seem to be bottlenecking is the Hard Drive cannot load the assets fast enough due to poor asset infrastructure and management by the engine.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.