Remake the Original Trilogy

Shotgonius

Unoriginal or not, it is a good thought,

no... there are other threads still on this page covering the same exact topic which the OP ignored to create this one

if that wasn't the case I wouldn't have said anything

Edited by Liquidacid

You would have to start from scratch, you couldn't insert a new trilogy into what exists now. At which point, I don't think anyone is ready for that yet only because of these large worlds that were created on the original Star Wars movies.

Even though it may be a good idea, no one is ready for it.

They should stop remaking films altogether.

They keep murdering films i've loved.

We all know it's basically the film industry saying "look, we've run out of ideas and can't think of anything new. Lets remake some older films and completely slaughter them".

No complete remake BUT they should recreate/enhance some of the scenes buy using modern technology. Kinda like what they did with the Special Edition but without changing stuff like Han suddenly shooting second etc.

What i mean for example is the now crappy looking sword fights (compared to the fights from ep1 to 3)

The space battles and ship behaviour (like the fighters moving up and down in an unrealistic way when they show incockpit views of the pilots for example, that always bothers me...) could also still be improved on to be more of an epic scale.

If they do something new just get the Thrawn Triology to the big screen already!!! Perfekt story for episodes 6 to 9 imho.

They should stop remaking films altogether.

They keep murdering films i've loved.

We all know it's basically the film industry saying "look, we've run out of ideas and can't think of anything new. Lets remake some older films and completely slaughter them".

Well, I'm not sure where I stand on Star Wars remakes, I'd rather see new movies set in the universe, but I'm always hesitant to join the chorus of "stop remaking films, it murders the ones we love"... No, the old ones are still there, we can still love them. If anything, there's a tiny chance we can relive the magic if they make it good, or it can bring new awareness to the old movies. Worst case scenario, ignore the remake.

Though I do agree, it does seem that filmmakers rush to remakes a bit fast, when original ideas could just as well be used.

Not trying to flame or argue for the sake of arguing, just throwing my opinion on remakes in there :)

Well, I'm not sure where I stand on Star Wars remakes, I'd rather see new movies set in the universe, but I'm always hesitant to join the chorus of "stop remaking films, it murders the ones we love"... No, the old ones are still there, we can still love them. If anything, there's a tiny chance we can relive the magic if they make it good, or it can bring new awareness to the old movies. Worst case scenario, ignore the remake.

Though I do agree, it does seem that filmmakers rush to remakes a bit fast, when original ideas could just as well be used.

Not trying to flame or argue for the sake of arguing, just throwing my opinion on remakes in there :)

I understand what you are saying my point more revolves around the new ones being the one the younger generation sees and the older versions, arguably the better versions, get forgotten.

But I do believe there are films that just shouldn't be touched.

Blade Runner, Stand By Me, Lost Boys, Dune .. films like that are absolute classics and no remake would do it justice.

I'm not saying a remake would destroy those films but I do think it would take away something that made those films great in the first place.

Replacing Harrison Ford in Runner or River Pheonix in Stand By Me and there is no replacing a younger Sutherland in Lost Boys.

Films like that just can't be remade to have the same feel they did. Too much CGI would be used and actors that can't replace the originals.

Maybe i'm stuck in the past and getting to old and set in my ways for changes. I just don't like the idea of films that are viewed as classics being butchered by the people working in Hollywood today.

And keep Uwe Boll away from ... well ... anything.

I stopped reading when I saw "Bradly Cooper Han Solo." The idea of remaking the original trilogy is terrible, in my opinion. Part of what makes the original trilogy so good is what they did in the days of puppets, dudes in garbage cans or fuzzy suits, and potato/tennis shoe asteroids when CGI hadn't taken over every last aspect of a movie. When I say original, I do mean original, not some spec. ed. crap. That's just my opinion, though. If you want to see a junk remake of a great film, there are plenty of them out there. Go find one. :cool:

I understand what you are saying my point more revolves around the new ones being the one the younger generation sees and the older versions, arguably the better versions, get forgotten.

But I do believe there are films that just shouldn't be touched.

While I can appreciate your point of view, you must at least understand that these are your opinions and by nature, they are neither absolute nor immediately authoritative in any useful way.

A good example is 'Ocean's Eleven'. The original movie was good. The remake was also good. They are different. However, the remake was done well enough to entertain a large number of people. Is the desire for nostalgia so much more important than making entertaining movies that we should have

Yes, yes, I know people are going to say "But they should have looked for a new story to turn into a..." I know. They did that, too, and people liked the remake of Ocean's Eleven as much or better than that. So, who are we to bar them from that enjoyment just to serve our desire to keep some old movie in a special little box?

and there is no replacing a younger Sutherland in Lost Boys.

Wha... I mean, Lost Boys was an enjoyable movie... but... Yes, actually, I think that is an example that could be remade now and actually increase the quality. I enjoyed Sutherland in it, but

Perhaps my issue here is a lack of emotional attachments (to movies/music/games). I just don't form them well at all. I want something entertaining and I don't really hold up the good examples

Films like that just can't be remade to have the same feel they did. Too much CGI would be used and actors that can't replace the originals.

I guess the counter-argument to this would have to be The Lord of the Rings. By your argument, the Jackson trilogy shouldn't have been made (nor should The Hobbit) because it's already been done. Of course, the "original" version wasn't terribly popular, so it didn't have a lot of people claiming their nostalgia would be destroyed by a new version.

In this example, the remade version was heavy in CGI and modern cinematography, and not only was it wildly successful, but it won numerous awards, both from the industry and various "public opinion" groups.

Why do you assume that a remake of 'A New Hope' would be --by definition-- worse than the original? In many ways, it falls more into the pattern of Bakshi's LoTR, missing only in the fact that EpIV was wildly popular.

So is that it? We shouldn't remake it because a bunch of people refuse to let go of their nostalgia? That seems like a weak reason to me. If you can make a movie, and a lot of people will enjoy it, then why not not do it? Those should be the only real questions that need to be considered: Can you make it? Will a lot of people enjoy watching it?

Re-making the same movie every four years isn't going to work. People won't be interested. However, remaking movies that are thirty years old (especially those which were made on low budgets with only moderate acting talent), doesn't really fall into that situation.

And keep Uwe Boll away from ... well ... anything.

Obviously. If they remake the movies, they should have filmmakers do the work. I don't know why that would involve Uwe Boll. I'm not even certain what he does.

Whatever it is, I'm sure its not making movies.

While I can appreciate your point of view, you must at least understand that these are your opinions and by nature, they are neither absolute nor immediately authoritative in any useful way.

Oh, I understand that completely.

I know my opinions, in the grand scheme of things, mean very little to anyone bar myself.

I also know not "all" remakes are bad.

Like you said it's mainly a nostalgia thing. I grew up with movies like that and it would seem strange seeing them remade.

So is that it? We shouldn't remake it because a bunch of people refuse to let go of their nostalgia? That seems like a weak reason to me. If you can make a movie, and a lot of people will enjoy it, then why not not do it? Those should be the only real questions that need to be considered: Can you make it? Will a lot of people enjoy watching it?

Nail on head.

I have a hard time "letting go" of the things I grew up with if that makes any sense.

I was born in the late 70's so my era was mainly the 80's that I hold dear to my heart. The music, the films, the TV shows but not the mullet I had.

I know someone could probably come up with a good remake of some films it's just me not being able to accept a remake of a film I love.

It's my own problem and one that I can find several flaws in myself (mainly being a remake of some of the classic 80's films would bring in a new audience who would appreciate them).

My main problem is that after seeing a couple of bad ones I would really dislike seeing a good film ruined.

Replacing actors I grew up watching in memorable scenes being changed sits *wrong* with me for some reason I have no logical explanation for.

I really don't have any good arguments as to why classic films shouldn't be remade other than my own nostalgia and still living in the past in a way. Trying to hold on to my youth we'll call it.

Obviously. If they remake the movies, they should have filmmakers do the work. I don't know why that would involve Uwe Boll. I'm not even certain what he does.

Whatever it is, I'm sure its not making movies.

The sad part here is he made Bloodrayne. While most people will agree that no film ever made by Uwe Boll was any good .... My missus loves Bloodrayne.

Remake the things all you want. BUT FOR GODS SAKE GIVE ME THE ORIGINALS, UNEDITED ON BLUERAY FIRST!! then you can watch your fancy well coriographed fight scenes, long musical numbers in jabbas palace, and NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! and I still get the movies that i love and remember.

We all win ( Greedo never shoots for ever)

Edited by TheBentOne

I'd actually love to see a reboot / remake. Same characters, same universe, same basic story (minus 1-3 ... there have been some awesome posts on how those movies could of went down. I.E. have Anakin turn in Ep2 and spend more time on the Jedi purge in Ep3 and create a greater cliffhanger similar to Ep5).

As for actors, I prefer if they remained undiscovered. They don't need to toss Brad Pitt / Tom Cruise / Bradley Cooper etc. Keep it low key, but at the same time "good acting" (No Christianson).

Reboots can be awesome. Star Trek and Batman Begins are two of the best in recent memory. And though the original Planet of the Apes will always be near and dear to me, the new one with Andy Sirkis was amazing in its own right.

Not only that there’s no central protagonist in the film. You could argue it’s the queen, you could argue it’s Liam Neeson, you could argue it’s Anakin, or Jar Jar. There’s no quest or journey that any of the characters are on. Secondly, you don’t understand the motivations behind any of the characters. That’s why I feel so strongly that George needed some kind of a rewriter to come in and fix it. To me, Episode 1 really points out the fact that the emperor has no clothes and I don’t mean the character in the film, I mean George himself. It’s a crushing disappointment for someone like myself who grew up with these films.

Read more: http://www.filmthreat.com/interviews/8/#ixzz1loLxXHA1