New Ability Bar Cooldown effect

Sammojo

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I may be in the minority but since there's 150 pages of hate on for the new gcd I thought I'd chime in and say I like it. I think it's clearer and easier to use. It always seems like some one has some complaint, the old one was bad, now the new one is bad. You can't make all of the people happy all of the time. Mods are coming as is customizable UIs but hey everyone has the right to complain. Just saying my preference is with the new gcd. Any how, eye of the beholder and all that.

I understand but this will cause you to process much less than the old system only if you wait for the global cooldown to be over and then decide on which ability you should use next... The old system where it will show your ability which some are on different cooldowns timing while on global cooldown so you will know which to use just in ahead of time. That makes it so much faster to process and result in receiving a better dps (damage per second). Right now we can't tell how long the ability cooldown will be used again while on global cooldown which is shown as dark/ dimmed... :(

I know I'm in the minority, but I actually kinda like the new GCD. For me, it makes gaming a bit easier and feels crisper.

I know lots of people are gonna say that I don't know what I'm talking about, but here's the thing, I really don't need the toolbar to tell me what is available. I pretty much always have a good idea what skills are going to be available when the GCD ends. So the new animation allows me to completely ignore the toolbar and the slight flash makes it easier and faster for me to spam my next skill while paying attention to the action on the screen.

I would also like to point out that:

1) How the UI displays skills that are out of range has not changed as far as I can tell. Last night, they had a reddish tinge, they still do today.

2) As far as I can tell by hitting skills and watching the animation over and over, there is a difference between skills that will be available and those that will not. Available skills after GCD are slightly brighter. Long CDs also seem much darker (fast travel for instance).

Now, before you flame me, I play a Sage and so I cannot say how this may have broken other classes. I'll try my knight later and see if things are more difficult. I can see if you are really dependent on the UI for knowing what is available the slight subtleties in the animation may make things difficult.

None the less, for me, my playstyle, and my class, I actually really like the changes.

Ok, just to make sure I'm seeing what everyone else is seeing,

When I click any spell, ALL spells on the GCD get a ~20% white opaque layover that slides down. Darkening all the GCD buttons at the same time. After the GCD animation slides down, there's a white flash, then the buttons of the abilities that can be used light up again.

The fact that it darkens all buttons, regardless of whether they are ready (aside from the current GCD), prevents people from effectively queuing their next spell because they can't see which ones are ready until after the GCD animation is completely finished. Especially with respect to abilities that are "on-proc".

The white contrast was definitely bothering me as well, which makes people's headaches and nausea stories very believable (especially because there are a LOT of those complaints).

My assumption is that the people who don't have a problem with the new mechanic, either have a very rigid/memorized rotation, or don't try to queue their next spell as a practice.

Thoughts?

Ok, just to make sure I'm seeing what everyone else is seeing,

When I click any spell, ALL spells on the GCD get a ~20% white opaque layover that slides down. Darkening all the GCD buttons at the same time. After the GCD animation slides down, there's a white flash, then the buttons of the abilities that can be used light up again.

The fact that it darkens all buttons, regardless of whether they are ready (aside from the current GCD), prevents people from effectively queuing their next spell because they can't see which ones are ready until after the GCD animation is completely finished. Especially with respect to abilities that are "on-proc".

The white contrast was definitely bothering me as well, which makes people's headaches and nausea stories very believable (especially because there are a LOT of those complaints).

My assumption is that the people who don't have a problem with the new mechanic, either have a very rigid/memorized rotation, or don't try to queue their next spell as a practice.

Thoughts?

Yep that's what lots of us (especially those of us who used the action bars to recognize procs) are complaining about. Makes it hard to queue as long as the GCD effect is on.

Edited by Thesseract

I know I'm in the minority, but I actually kinda like the new GCD. For me, it makes gaming a bit easier and feels crisper.

I know lots of people are gonna say that I don't know what I'm talking about, but here's the thing, I really don't need the toolbar to tell me what is available. I pretty much always have a good idea what skills are going to be available when the GCD ends. So the new animation allows me to completely ignore the toolbar and the slight flash makes it easier and faster for me to spam my next skill while paying attention to the action on the screen.

1) How the UI displays skills that are out of range has not changed as far as I can tell. Last night, they had a reddish tinge, they still do today.

2) As far as I can tell by hitting skills and watching the animation over and over, there is a difference between skills that will be available and those that will not. Available skills after GCD are slightly brighter. Long CDs also seem much darker (fast travel for instance).

Now, before you flame me, I play a Sage and so I cannot say how this may have broken other classes. I'll try my knight later and see if things are more difficult. I can see if you are really dependent on the UI for knowing what is available the slight subtleties in the animation may make things difficult.

None the less, for me, my playstyle, and my class, I actually really like the changes.

I've no issue with those that enjoy the changes. My nervous system doesn't find them quite so appealing. In a perfect world, they would be toggled as preferences dictated. I suspect that is not how this will be handled as there isn't a way to please every one with a flip of a switch.

Moddable UI's are supposedly coming. Okay great. When that comes, every one can pick and choose what best suits them. Meanwhile, for myself and others that share my issues, the game is unplayable. It's not a preference for what is or isn't shiny enough. It's a physical response to stimuli and my response is dizzy and sick to my stomach. Okay, and some random venting on the forums since I can't actually play the game.

Old UI-

Do I have enough rage to use this ability- yes it is lit up

Am I in range to use this ability- yes it is lit up

Is this ability ready or on gcd- maybe, it may be lit up but still unusable/queue-able

New UI-

Do I have enough rage to use this ability- No idea unless I read the tooltip and check rage bar, if I'm on gcd I can't tell

Am I in range to use this ability- No idea, I'm on gcd so everything looks unusable and so dark I can't even tell what they are

Is this ability ready or on gcd- maybe, I can still queue abilities that aren't quite yet ready, at least I remember what all these black boxes do

Absolutely not an improvement, how did this even get out of the gate?

Still can't play the game so I'm here on the forum at night time. This is the first for me since SWTOR came out.

I know I can't play FPS games and many games that constantly switch camera. SWTOR is one of a few that I enjoy playing and not got nauseous, until now...

Tomorrow if it is still not fixed, I'll have to waste some money buying FF13-2. I didn't have any desire to play my favorite series (admittedly I didn't like FF13) until now...

Please add that button to revert to old UI so I can save that $60. Or well, keep it and I'll perhaps save more money after 4+ months of quitting this MMO.

Edited by Cantiga

Reading this thread before I got on this morning, I thought there was a real issue. The only people this effects are clickers, or people who don't know their class.

You are supposed to be looking at the action, not your action bars...

BCBull what you are saying is a real bs.... I'm not a clicker, I know my class and still now have to focus on action bar 'cause of delay caused by this crappy flashing thing. It's not just the flashing that's annoying and hard to look at but the delay is also taking it's part. I'm pressing on numeric key and nothing happens 'cause the ability is on flashing period. The whole action continuance is spoiled because of the flashing.

Old UI-

Is this ability ready or on gcd- maybe, it may be lit up but still unusable/queue-able

New UI-

Do I have enough rage to use this ability- No idea unless I read the tooltip and check rage bar, if I'm on gcd I can't tell

Am I in range to use this ability- No idea, I'm on gcd so everything looks unusable and so dark I can't even tell what they are

Is this ability ready or on gcd- maybe, I can still queue abilities that aren't quite yet ready, at least I remember what all these black boxes do

get use it,

the 1.0 is the best,

and u all want to change it,

then comes the worst v1.1,

now BW just improve it but still not good enough,

BW just change back to 1.0, all problems solved.

Old UI-

New UI-

^Exactly I liked how you tried explaining the problem we are having by comparing the old system and this new system! Big KUDO to you! ;)

Edited by AgentFury

Please just change it back to the way you had it Bioware...the only problem with the previous bar was knowing you had 30 seconds of cooldown left on a 5 min or more cooldown ability.

Now i don't know if i have enough force to use an ability, or if im even range if the GCD is active...retarded. Now its just a guessing game instead of being able to plan out my abilities on my assassin which does not have a set rotation and is much more difficult than just spamming two buttons over and over.

WHEN THE GCD IS ACTIVE, ALL ABILITIES THAT ARE ABLE TO BE USED NEED TO BE LIT UP.

ABILITIES THAT ARE on CD, AND ABILITIES THAT ARE ONLY ON GCD NEED TO BE REPRESENTED DIFFERENTLY....NOT LOOK IDENTICAL.

Edited by Ushela

The theory of the UI change is actually quite good. But the easy to see GCD flash should not be an animation that over-rides an actual cooldown. Hell, it just the UI flashed, without shading and then flashing each individual slot, it'd be fantastic. Probably wouldn't alleviate the physical problems some are getting post-patch, but game play would stay fluent.

The problem is that, for example, I cast Static Barrier on my companion, start damaging mobs, cast it on myself, then continue to dmg mobs, then want to re-up the static barrier on my companion. I can't do that unless I just blindly press the hotkey. The button is darkened and 1 second from flashing. I have to wait for the flash to see if it's actually ready or not. Is that playable? Yes. But clunkier than it was yesterday.

Yesterday, I didn't have to wait for some pretty looking flash to see where I'm at in cooldowns. Can this be gotten used to? Yes. But why handicap a player for a disco ball of a UI? The UI needs to be clean and efficient.

Sacrificing efficiency for "prettiness" is not acceptable in a UI. It just isn't.

Perhaps your play style/class doesn't run into these bottlenecks of darkened, yet ready to queue abilities. Many play styles and classes are experiencing it, head on.

It's making the game feel, in the least, dumbed down, to me. I like to burn through mobs, not have to hit a key 10 times "just in case" it might queue.

I want to know it's ready.

With this UI I cannot. Read my above example for an instance of that.

Agreed. I played my Jedi guardian tonight. Mostly blue colored ability icons. I had no problem noticing when skills were off cooldown. I enjoy the new UI changes.

It's better than it was.

I'd like to see something implemented where the hotbar slot glows when say, a free project (in the shadow tank tree) is up.

It's really hard to tell from your buff bar.

I realized this would be a WoW addon (i think it was an addon) ripoff, but damn, it was handy (especially for Frost DK's.

I honestly would love to see BW's face when they have to cap this thread AGAIN because of all the posts.

Sadly this thread has been slowing down. Seems most people have gone through the 5 stages of grief and are now on acceptance.

1. Denial

Bioware wouldn't do this. They care about the community and test stuff before implementing it.

2. Anger

They better fix this or else!

3. Bargaining

Okay just fix this or let us know what's going on and I won't unsuscribe. I'll complain less. I promise.

4. Depression

Bioware doesn't know what they're doing and won't ever fix it.

5. Acceptance

Bioware doens't know what they're doing. At least Diablo 3 will be released soon.