Carnage v. Annihilation - PvE

Slagard

Without combat log parsing and what not I am finding it difficult to discern between carnage and annihilation damage ranges.

I want to focus on PvE for now and maximizing dps output without regard to incoming dmg mitigation.

Which do you guys prefer?

My gear has been moving upward over the last month very quickly and so while I feel like my carnage spec has been out performing my annihilation runs; it could be changes in gear or comfort with rotation.

Tl:DR: Annihilation or Carnage for PvE (3/5 Columni, 1 rakata, the rest tionese/champion)

I am trying Anni since some days. Imho it is as easy as Carnage, but really has more utility (heals, no dmg in Force Camo) and it does more damage.

I finished NM council roughly at the same time as I did with Carnage - but I of course did not use Berserk.

Tl;dr:

Anni without Berserk = Carnage Dps, Heals, more utility

I still like the IN YOUR FACE style of Carnage better :/

I'm probably going to stay Carnage till the end. I love its playstyle and I haven't found the damage difference a hindrance in either PvE or PvP yet. When my guild starts wiping at 1% due to lack of DPS I'll consider changing.

In the end all 3 specs are viable to the point where you'll most likely not run into an issue with not being able to kill things. The only one that might fall short is Rage, as I've heard stories of people not able to put out the DPS to kill HMFlashpoint bosses. This could easily be operator malfunction or lack of gear, however I would still recommend trying to play what you want.

The only one that might fall short is Rage, as I've heard stories of people not able to put out the DPS to kill HMFlashpoint bosses. This could easily be operator malfunction or lack of gear,

This is 80% operator malfunction. Rage requires a significantly different approach in PvE compared to PvP. However, it should net competitive, if not more, DPS than Carnage ... except for situations where using Charge is difficult or not conducive to the encounter. For example, Rage is tedious on Council because it's a ***** to charge the target, and if you try too hard you risk messing with teammates. A few "LARGE HITBOX" bosses are a pain with Rage because you have to run out so far to charge. This can easily lead to a DPS loss if your timing/positioning is less than perfect. There's also a few sketchy situations like Huttdude where you honestly don't want the charge to put you behind or in front of the boss when he cleaves, lulz.

Also, depending on your spec preferences, a PvE-capable Rage spec can be significantly different (ENRAGED SLASH) than a PvP-Rage spec.

The only fight i can think of that Anni spec fails is EV: Infernal Council. Having your bleeds heal anyone in the group = reset. Obviously, the simple change is to change stances to Shii-Cho form (but I know how the community feels about stance dancing), this way you avoid popping beserk and healing everyone, and instead spam Vicious Strike. However, you can just sit and dps and -not- pop beserk to up your personal damage (since you cannot use any group fury buff during this fight).

Besides that one fight, Anni has good raid utility.

The only fight i can think of that Anni spec fails is EV: Infernal Council. Having your bleeds heal anyone in the group = reset. Obviously, the simple change is to change stances to Shii-Cho form (but I know how the community feels about stance dancing), this way you avoid popping beserk and healing everyone, and instead spam Vicious Strike. However, you can just sit and dps and -not- pop beserk to up your personal damage (since you cannot use any group fury buff during this fight).

Besides that one fight, Anni has good raid utility.

You can actually use Bloodthirst on that fight without receiving the -100% damage and healing penalty, you just can't use Berserk. Edited by Gaffadin

This is 80% operator malfunction. Rage requires a significantly different approach in PvE compared to PvP. However, it should net competitive, if not more, DPS than Carnage ... except for situations where using Charge is difficult or not conducive to the encounter. For example, Rage is tedious on Council because it's a ***** to charge the target, and if you try too hard you risk messing with teammates. A few "LARGE HITBOX" bosses are a pain with Rage because you have to run out so far to charge. This can easily lead to a DPS loss if your timing/positioning is less than perfect. There's also a few sketchy situations like Huttdude where you honestly don't want the charge to put you behind or in front of the boss when he cleaves, lulz.

Also, depending on your spec preferences, a PvE-capable Rage spec can be significantly different (ENRAGED SLASH) than a PvP-Rage spec.

Rage is also pretty annoying vs. HK in False emp since charge and obliterate get you knocked back every time.