The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Lowbie qstn: Powertech tank leveling vs. other tank classes

Poe_

Just curious if anyone has experience with enough classes to answer this ...

I've run with a Merc for a while, but re-rolled a Powertech frankly cause I just felt like being a tank. As I hit my first Chapter, I'm wondering if leveling is as slow as it can be with other tank classes (I've Jugg'd, and read forums about some other Tank low-dps classes).

Do you find that Powertech leveling is slow due to the obvious lack of dps or is the output of dps for questing, et al, fairly strong? Opinions with rationale welcome! :D

I was the second player on my server to hit level 50, and I was pure shieldtech from the start. Only reason I didnt make first is because the other guy was a Sniper, I only used mako instead of gault for the extra DPS, and he still only beat me by about an hour of game time =P

Shieldtech is great for soloing, you almost never die and you can take on a lot of targets that would be difficult for other classes. Use mako for the most part, but keep a good weapon on gault at all times - you can switch the same gear between mako and gault and they use all the same stuff except for weapon type (blaster pistol for mako, sniper rifle for gault).

A number of the lower tier ST talents are actually dps boosting, in no small part the +9% aim talent is very nice. Overall your dps is less than a pure dps build, but you also take less dmg that has to be healed up out of combat.

I'd honestly recommend go for ST talents up to Jet charge (what I miss most when going pyro dps spec), then poach some of the dps boost talents from the other 2 trees first tier. Iron Fist in particular is very useful since it meshes very well with Flame Surge and Flame Shield. Back to back Rocket Punch is always good times.

Overall my feeling while leveling was I did less dmg, so things take longer to kill. But I rarely had to ever stop and heal up (using Mako), and only deaths I recall were occasionally on the toughest elite "quest boss" type mobs. So overall it's just gogogo non-stop while questing and probably evens out more or less in the end.

I level much faster on my Powertech than I did on my (now 50) Juggernaut. Powertech is in many ways superior to the Juggernaut, and AOE is one of them so you will kill mobs and thus finish quests much faster.

Only downside is that you can't run through hordes of mobs to get somewhere fast as well as a juggernaut can thanks to the AOE slow & double charge. Mainly noticable on Taris.

Just curious if anyone has experience with enough classes to answer this ...

I've run with a Merc for a while, but re-rolled a Powertech frankly cause I just felt like being a tank. As I hit my first Chapter, I'm wondering if leveling is as slow as it can be with other tank classes (I've Jugg'd, and read forums about some other Tank low-dps classes).

Do you find that Powertech leveling is slow due to the obvious lack of dps or is the output of dps for questing, et al, fairly strong? Opinions with rationale welcome! :D

the problem that many people who level with any of the tanks in tank spec do is level in tank gear

do NOT level in tank gear. you dont even need tank gear to tank the normal flashpoints on the way up. use your tank spec, but use dps gear only heavy on crit and surge and aim

You kill slower in tank spec, but there's less downtime (if you manage your heat properly). So it all evens out really. Nice to be able to just plough from one pack of mobs to the next and not worry too much if you over aggro.

As others have said, level in dps gear, but use your tank spec (including Ion cylinder).

My PT is 47 now. I have a 50 guardian. The PT is way, way faster and easier than the guardian. I'm heavy into the shield tree, and I still pull 200k+ dps on most warzones. I can do that on my guardian, but only if I spec into the dps trees.

Keep in mind that even if you like to tank, you can use dps gear - this helps leveling speed while solo.

Cheers!

Level in WZ's, srsly. Do nothing but your class quests til you hit Hoth. All your gear can be purchased with commendations. (You get a full pvp gear set at level's 20 and 40, orange, just buy mods to upgrade when needed)

Once you hit Hoth, do all the quests there, gloss over Voss, then do all of Corellia. Sprinkle in more WZs as needed. I did 48-50 in one night pulling in 20K+ exp per WZ win. 14K for a loss.