The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Are the shield stats even worth it for PvP?

TheGreatDew

I've been doing a bit of reading on websites and these forums, from what I understand like most other games we cannot avoid/shield any kind of special attacks. Anything Tech or Force related, So I have a question.

Is it even worth it to have a shield generator for pvp?

If not would I be better off remodding my pvp gear to have pure defence rating instead of sheild absorb?

You sparked a good idea in my head by saying that actually.

I wonder, if keeping the Supercommando set and swaping out the mods for the DPS gear mods would work in my favor? Power instead of shield chance/defence rating. Cause the set bonus from the super commando set to me is better for the spec I am. I am mostly shieldtech

You won't live much longer in Super Commando than Combat Tech or Eliminator.

In PvP, the best defensive stats are actually offensive stats. Dead people do zero DPS.

Kill faster = live longer.

If you are focused by multiple players, it doesn't matter what gear you have.

If you add up all the stats the Eliminator set is the best, but the set bonuses don't really apply. I like the 5% additional damage when you have a guard target around on the Super Commando. It's too bad the stats on the set are utter garbage.

Anything higher than Jet charge in Shield tech is wasted. 25/11/5 is the spec for "PvP tanks".

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301GRG0bRroMZMsr0oZbc.1

If you play a Carolina Parakeet (Shield/PT) hybrid build, yes. If you are AP, PT or AP/PT hybrid, no. My shields finish the CD on my Rocket Punch and have a 50% chance to vent 8 heat. Coupled with my guaranteed 8 heat vented per rail shot I have to combo some serious abilities to even hit 75% heat in PvP

I went with the spec below, but mine is geared more toward being able to tank and DPS decently (not well, decently) in PvE while maintaining some respectable ability in PvP as well. A full-on PvP spec is nicer but until dual-spec is added it's not worth my time

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hRGr0oroZ0MZfGMbzh.1

Edited by Mazikeen

Supercommando is good for the set bonuses, so switching out mods is worth it if the set bonus is in tune with your playstyle.

I'm pretty much always using the ion gas cylinder so I can guard and am mostly tank spec, so I use the shield offhand. I still see attacks get shielded often enough that I can take advantage of one point in Shield Vents.

I am the CP spec, I like it alot. The more and more I think about it. It seems like the best option is to remod the super commando armor for DPS to keep the set bonuses, use a shield genny and have the eliminator acc.

I will try this!

I went the Eliminator route instead. 30% crit on Rocket Punch (talents) and 15% crit on Rail Shot (set bonus) lets me focus more on Power and Surge.

I was leery about the Supercommando bonuses because the 1.5 second CD reduction on Jet Charge seems pretty unnecessary and the 4 piece sounds like it only works while guard is actually active (e.g. you're within 15 meters of your guard target). This isn't always going to happen as -- on my server at least -- the new trend is to seperate Tanks and their Guard targets.

That's of course also assuming my Guard target doesn't currently need peels. If my Guard target is doing well enough on its own then I'm usually Jet Charging off to priority targets while keeping an eye on health bars.

So that was a bit of a rant, but I went with the Eliminator set because it seemed more consistent and Combat Tech was right out because of the broken Carbonize and the LAST thing I need is 15% more Rocket Punch crit.

Edited by chainsawsamurai

I wonder, if keeping the Supercommando set and swaping out the mods for the DPS gear mods would work in my favor? Power instead of shield chance/defence rating. Cause the set bonus from the super commando set to me is better for the spec I am. I am mostly shieldtech

yes. Surge is even better than power.

But to the OP, if you consider yourself a tank, with points in shield tech, yeah, go for a shield.

yes. Surge is even better than power.

But to the OP, if you consider yourself a tank, with points in shield tech, yeah, go for a shield.

Yeah, I do consider myself a tank. Im running around with 3 peices alreaded modded to mimic the eliminators set, PvE peice mods, but they are identical. Im also using my Sheild Geny, Im not dying any faster with out the shield absorbtion stat and people are dropping quickly.

As for the Surge rating, Whats the cap on our Crit? Or is there not one. Im re modding this set to have basically the same crit as the Elminitators set. Should I stack more than that set gives?

I've been doing a bit of reading on websites and these forums, from what I understand like most other games we cannot avoid/shield any kind of special attacks. Anything Tech or Force related, So I have a question.

If not would I be better off remodding my pvp gear to have pure defence rating instead of sheild absorb?

1. Use a Shield offhand if you are running the tanking stance

2. No, go with DPS mods for PVP

Detailed answers here:

http://taugrim.com/2012/01/04/guide-to-bounty-hunter-powertech-trooper-vanguard-mechanics-and-pvp/#pvp-gear

Edited by taugrimtaugrim