Space Combat Needs a Serious Difficulty Boost

Daeromas

TL; DR?

Well, then "don't post if you have nothing interesting to share".

With that attitude we won't need new content in this game at all.

Tired of those 3 warzones? Play them without gear to make them more difficult.

Tired of those 2 OPs and several FPs? Do them without gear.

Tired of easy questing? Play without companion.

That's essentially what you said, do you still think it's reasonable?

Or maybe suggest to the developer to add new difficult content or just make the existing content harder for those that would like it to be harder? (as an option so those who think it's hard enough would not get a set of gray hair :p)

Totally agree with you.

On another note, I put up a video of me doing the

edit-I mouse over what I have equiped, 2 purps, rest blue, no cloak screen or torpedo. As you can see I don't have any problem, (even with the grade 2 ship armor I haven't felt the need to replace even after it got corrected/nerfed lol)

edit edit lol-I just realized I didn't even use my emp lololol.

Edited by Daeromas

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The whole game needs a serious difficulty boost, but that won't happen since it could scare the casual people off (where i prenouce the world "casual" the same way i prenouce the word "tapeworm")

I mean...I can't say I disagree with you lol.

Although I must say beating Soa last night in hardmode 8 man was a challenge. But that is just one boss of one raid.

Edited by Daeromas

Over-react much?

I read the first four pages, and didn't see anyone suggest trying it without the ship upgrades, so I did.

Not really the point at all. Like FoxNemhauser says in his/her post to someone saying the same thing as yourself, "With that attitude we won't need new content in this game at all" "Tired of those 2 OPs and several FPs? Do them without gear".

Edited by Daeromas

First let me state that I have all purple upgrades except armor.. I have completed every mission available..

Drexel is grey to me, but is still a challenge to complete.. I don't think it needs to be any harder.. For those that don't know.. Drexel takes place in the astroid field and you must destrow the turrets on the imperial cruiser in the middle of the field..

There are some missions that could be a bit harder.. And some that are just fine the way they are.. I just completed impossible sector for the first time.. It is a tough missions.. I find it quite fun..

Do space missions need to be made more difficult?? Some yes, while others now.. If they do add a heroic setting for these, they will also need to add another tier of upgrades for the ships.. Hard missions are great and all.. Impossible ones are bad.. :cool:

Watch my video, I do it without using my emp, have 2 purps the rest are blues and still with the grade 2 ship armor, without the cloak screen or torpedoes, and kill tons of the fighters for the heck of it. I show what I have equiped at the start of the video...:cool:

Edited by Daeromas

or try finding the hidden bonuses (but those sadly give no increased rewards AFAIK) that exist even on those low level missions.

The bonus objectives award extra credits, but this only appears in your log. Also, Clouds of Vondoru / Zosha Advance seems to be bugged, because it doesn't give you any credits for destroying the capital ship bridge. You only get 680 legacy XP.

Here's a great guide to the bonus objectives for each mission, including rewards for each:

Guide: (Hidden) Space Bonus Missions

Some people really do find the space missions hard. To them, I'm guessing you seem like you're bragging about your "elite skillz". But they really ARE easy once you get the hang of them. I had some trouble with Aeten Defense and Clouds of Vondoru (level 5 missions) at first, but then I improved and now they're simple. The only purple I have is the mission reward (beam charger, I think).

Edit: It just occurred to me that the level 5 upgrades are all purple. I have all of the ones that you can buy at the fleet vendor. I don't have any of the higher craftable ones though.

Edited by O-Deka-K

IMO, making nightmare mode space missions is a complete waste of resources when you consider the fact the missions difficulty is completely dependent on the gear of your ship.

If the mobs are dieing too easy downgrade your weapons. You have direct control over the fire rate and potency of every blaster bolt. If you feel like your ship is too tough downgrade your shields and armor. You have direct control over total toughness, shield absorption and shield regeneration.

If missile auto-targeting is to easy-mode for you, then click each missile while hovering over the target instead of blanket targeting.

I hate to knock your idea this critically but when you look at consider how easily you can change the difficulty yourself...

IMO, making nightmare mode space missions is a complete waste of resources when you consider the fact the missions difficulty is completely dependent on the gear of your ship.

If the mobs are dieing too easy downgrade your weapons. You have direct control over the fire rate and potency of every blaster bolt. If you feel like your ship is too tough downgrade your shields and armor. You have direct control over total toughness, shield absorption and shield regeneration.

If missile auto-targeting is to easy-mode for you, then click each missile while hovering over the target instead of blanket targeting.

I hate to knock your idea this critically but when you look at consider how easily you can change the difficulty yourself...

K, that's been covered, and that's just such a...dim way to think.

A waste of resources would be not to slightly improve something they've worked hard on and spent alot of time on already.

Again, as FoxNemhauser puts it perfectly on the previous page to someone with the same poor logic-

TL; DR?

Well, then "don't post if you have nothing interesting to share".

With that attitude we won't need new content in this game at all.

Tired of those 3 warzones? Play them without gear to make them more difficult.

Tired of those 2 OPs and several FPs? Do them without gear.

Tired of easy questing? Play without companion.

That's essentially what you said, do you still think it's reasonable?

Or maybe suggest to the developer to add new difficult content or just make the existing content harder for those that would like it to be harder? (as an option so those who think it's hard enough would not get a set of gray hair :p)

Then allow me to readdress it.

Stating that solving the problem by nerfing your own gear completely negates the need for further content is a dim way to look at it as well. You are going by the difficulty = fun equation. The problem is that is not always the case.

New content does not necessarily mean harder content. In new content there is room for plot/story, diversified mechanics and new, exciting forms of eye candy.

Difficulty wise the game is going to be balanced around the taste of your average player, not the "elite" players and not the "n00b" players. I am not saying these types of players should be or are ignored; I am saying Bio Ware is going to cater to the needs of your average player first.

Those who feel the challenge is too great, will eventually out gear or out level the challenge. Those who feel the challenge is too small can pursue bonus objectives, run ops and run hard modes. If it is still not challenging enough, they can nerf/downgrade their gear to create the challenge.

What they need to do is add free flight, PvP, and multiplayer flashpoints.

Increase ship customization further (such as engines, thrusters etc) Heck even raids.

Like a guild capital ship, vs an enemy capital ship + fighters.

...yes, see paragraph 2 of my OP...

<snip>

And yes, multiplayer and many other additions to it would be great, but 1st I think the easiest would be to up the difficulty to where it's atleast a little challenging.

<snip>

Then allow me to readdress it.

Stating that solving the problem by nerfing your own gear completely negates the need for further content is a dim way to look at it as well. You are going by the difficulty = fun equation. The problem is that is not always the case.

New content does not necessarily mean harder content. In new content there is room for plot/story, diversified mechanics and new, exciting forms of eye candy.

Difficulty wise the game is going to be balanced around the taste of your average player, not the "elite" players and not the "n00b" players. I am not saying these types of players should be or are ignored; I am saying Bio Ware is going to cater to the needs of your average player first.

Those who feel the challenge is too great, will eventually out gear or out level the challenge. Those who feel the challenge is too small can pursue bonus objectives, run ops and run hard modes. If it is still not challenging enough, they can nerf/downgrade their gear to create the challenge.

It's actually a spot on analogy for the people who are still saying "take off upgrades=problem solved" such as yourself.

It's been covered, we know that removing upgrades makes things harder, as removing gear on your char does, 2+2=4, etc etc.

Read FoxNemhauser again, a few times actually I guess.

Also, it seems many people aren't reading the OP and what is actually being asked by it, it won't bite you I swear!

Easy? It's way too hard, in my opinion. At least at high levels.

Which is absolutely fine and completely understandable.

Just asking for optional difficulty modes is all, watch my video in the OP, to some it's extremely easy.

Edited by Daeromas

different difficulty levels for sure....but mainly different maps...and i mean MAPS....repeating a different "mission" at higher level but being a carbon copy got extremely repetative.

I know just what you mean, i'm sure BW is already on it so I wouldn't worry too much.

I just think hard and nightmare modes offering the same rewards just an increased amount would be very nice as a way to keep people like us a bit more interested in them until they add that kind of stuff.

I have a few lvl 5 blues

Oops, looks like I second guessed myself. According to Torhead, Grades 1 and 3 are green, while Grades 2, 4 and 5 are blue. Also, the purple mission reward is the Rendili Hyperworks Beam Generator, not the Beam Charger.

Hey, not sure if you saw this in the Developer Blog section:

Space Combat – We will continue to add missions to the space game. We also have a special project going on right now that will expand space gameplay in a significant way... for now the details will have to remain under wraps.

I wonder what it means?

And trying to get people to read the OP is like trying to bullseye a small exhaust port with a proton torpedo. ;)

Oops, looks like I second guessed myself. According to Torhead, Grades 1 and 3 are green, while Grades 2, 4 and 5 are blue. Also, the purple mission reward is the Rendili Hyperworks Beam Generator, not the Beam Charger.

Hey, not sure if you saw this in the Developer Blog section:

I wonder what it means?

And trying to get people to read the OP is like trying to bullseye a small exhaust port with a proton torpedo. ;)

Oh awesome, no I haven't seen that dev post until now. Thanks a bunch!!!

Hahaha, and terrific analogy!! :)

Are people seriously saying the space missions are hard!? I mean i'm all for the whole some poeple are not on the same lvl as other people... but really? U mouse over the enemy and hold a button down and do a little mouse moving to avoid stuff. My 5 year old son does my daily for me everyday LITERALLY and he has never played much other then his ds.

I too love the space missions it is one of the newer features that swtor brings but ya it def needs a few more maps and a big jump in difficulty for max lvl anyway. Also it would be cool to see some norm/hm diffuculty settings and i personally cant wait to see what they do with it.

But everyone saying its to hard just remember that the more u play the better u get and once it starts gettin easy and trust me it will u will not want it to be easier becasue then they become really tough to do everyday becasue they get really dull.. hence why i have my son do it lol plus like i said he really likes em.

Are people seriously saying the space missions are hard!? I mean i'm all for the whole some poeple are not on the same lvl as other people... but really? U mouse over the enemy and hold a button down and do a little mouse moving to avoid stuff. My 5 year old son does my daily for me everyday LITERALLY and he has never played much other then his ds.

I too love the space missions it is one of the newer features that swtor brings but ya it def needs a few more maps and a big jump in difficulty for max lvl anyway. Also it would be cool to see some norm/hm diffuculty settings and i personally cant wait to see what they do with it.

But everyone saying its to hard just remember that the more u play the better u get and once it starts gettin easy and trust me it will u will not want it to be easier becasue then they become really tough to do everyday becasue they get really dull.. hence why i have my son do it lol plus like i said he really likes em.

I gota adopt one of those things! haha.

But yea, it's still fine that some people have a hard enough time as it is with them, all i'm asking in the OP is for optional difficulty modes just as the fp's and ops are.

And yea, i'm very excited to see too. I'm actually excited to see the game BW wanted to release on day one, which will be coming, just got rushed.

There is a SPOT ON take of SWTOR in the newest Gameinformer (issue 227), atleast imo. There is tremendous potential in almost every area of the game, and i'm 99% sure that BW will deliver.

Watch my video, I do it without using my emp, have 2 purps the rest are blues and still with the grade 2 ship armor, without the cloak screen or torpedoes, and kill tons of the fighters for the heck of it. I show what I have equiped at the start of the video...:cool:

Link?? And I doubt we are talking about the same mission.. :rolleyes:

Link?? And I doubt we are talking about the same mission.. :rolleyes:

You're correct, I was thinking you were reffering to the final mission, sorry. I know which one you mean now though. But since you had to add the :rolleyes: i'll make a video just for you tomorrow. You said you have all purps except for ship armor? K, i'll do it with grade 3 greens, only blue will be the power conversion mod. :). If anything, you can see how it's done properly :)

It's actually a spot on analogy for the people who are still saying "take off upgrades=problem solved" such as yourself.

It's been covered, we know that removing upgrades makes things harder, as removing gear on your char does, 2+2=4, etc etc.

Read FoxNemhauser again, a few times actually I guess.

Also, it seems many people aren't reading the OP and what is actually being asked by it, it won't bite you I swear!

I did read the post and countered it with what I felt was a fair argument. You obviously did not even consider my reply what-so-ever. Instead you decide to casually imply ineptitude on my part; which in no way strengthens your argument.

Address the main subject, counter the other posters arguments. If you feel a posters argument is invalid state as to why. I am looking at it like this:

•The OP wishes to have Nightmare Mode Space Missions because the present missions are too easy.

•There are some who disagree, myself included. It is suggested to the op that downgrading his gear would create a greater challenge.

•FoxNemhauser feels that such a philosophy would eliminate the need for new content.

•I argue that new content does not necessarily mean harder content.

•I await a fair counter to my argument.

I am not dead set against the implementation of Nightmare Mode Space Missions. I simply feel BW resources would be best spent elsewhere, at this time. I try to maintain an open minded attitude on any discussion. As such, a compelling argument has the potential to change my stance on a subject. Vaguely implied insults will not.