No one will remember if a game is late, only if it's great.

Gilbara

Ok this is beyond annoying anymore. You and other act like the classes are carbon copy of WoW class. If so where the Trooper in WoW, where the Smuggler. I play a Shadow Jedi, and they don't feel like a Rogue and in fact the talent tree have very little in common. You found one class and said it represent all. No you found one class that is very hard to make it like anything else.

True some classes are different. But some classes has WoW counter parts where similarity is so close anyone who has played WoW already knows rotations and play mechanics.

For an example sith warrior and jedi knight is a perfect copy of all 3 trees of warrior class in WoW.

Sith inquisitor healing and lightning tree is like playing a elemental and resto shaman in WoW but with less spells.

Sith assassin is like playing ***/sub rogue from vanilla WoW but with less stuns and more ranged damage. Don't know about Shadow Jedi because I have not played it but I think it is very likely it is exactly like the sith assassin.

Smuggler is like playing resto druid in TBC but without bear form. The gameplay in PVP is exactly the same. You try to get off Hots and kite your enemy so you can get back into stealth.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No but we expect the game to work better than early any early beta. The ability delay and unresponsive gameplay ruins a lot for me. Things like that should never had made it out of the beta and into the game no matter how complicated the problem is.

i don't think that the Hero engine is capable of running a modern MMO, regardless of the development team thrown at it--and that is the fundamental weakness of the tOR legacy, nothing great will ever come to this game because the engine is not capable of greatness

TOR is a great game and ive said this on numerous occasions. However when put into the context of its genre its actualy quite poor for an mmo.

That almost sums up how I feel, in a way.

I think SWTOR is a great story game for the class stories. Well, so was KoTOR.

For an MMO, though, it falls short--- way short. And to others, don't bring WoW into my post as I stopped even looking at WoW way back in 2009. Heck, for the year before TOR released I played DCUO from launch, and we all know the various and myriad issues that game had and has (it went F2P after 10 months for a reason).

So, I'm not comparing TOR to any single MMO, but putting it alongside the many I have played over the past 13 years-- and as an MMO, it just doesn't measure up for me.

So, for me: it's a great story game, and mediocre (at best) MMO. Story games like KoTOR don't warrant a subscription, unfortunately.

If you can research that and tell me that it was under development for 4 or more years before its release then I will give an apology and grovel at your internet feet.....

World of Warcraft was announced by Blizzard on September 2, 2001 and went live on November 23, 2004. That's just over 3 years between announcement and release. I can say with some certainty that it was in development for at least a year prior to being publically announced. That's over 4 years. GROVEL AT MY INTERNET FEET, MINION!

i don't think that the Hero engine is capable of running a modern MMO, regardless of the development team thrown at it--and that is the fundamental weakness of the tOR legacy, nothing great will ever come to this game because the engine is not capable of greatness

Can you or anyone explain to me about the Hero engine and why it is no good for multi-player PvP? I honesty don't know. I have never tried PvP.

If it is so bad why would BW use it? I am sure they knew millions would buy this game, and many would play PvP.

WoW was created with technology from 1999-2004. It was first announced in 2001. Since it followed the story of WC3 (release 2002) and its expansion, its hard to think that much of the development had been done before WC3 was released.

It had a much smaller budget (63 M http://digitalbattle.com/2006/06/15/world-of-warcraft-cost-63-million/)

It had a much smaller team

WoW decided to create their own Engine

The game still was wildly loved at the time. Its launch issues were a moot point, at that time in history all mmo's had tons of technical issues.

Comparing a game made in 2012 with 200M and untold years is ridiculous.

BW had longer to develop the game

BW had modern technology

BW choose to not make their own engine, but instead licensed a pre built one and modified it, which theoretically would have saved them time.

Lets make a fairer comparison

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/41586/World-of-WarCraft-Costs-200-Million-to-Maintain

If you include in dev fees, WoW would be ahead here sure in cost, but this is far more apples to apples.

At 2010 what did WoW Have?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_of_Warcraft:_Cataclysm

Thats a 2010 release

Compare the feature sets/content/etc in Cata to SWTOR? Not a comparison. Sure, maybe thats unfair.

You could go back to 2008 for Wrath of the Lich King. Again, WoW handilly beats swtor. And if you go back to 2008, I'm pretty sure the total cost of WoW is gonna be near 200M (although I have no way to prove this, but if 2010=200M + 68M upstart, I can presume the game runs them about 30M a year to run, so 2 years should cover the initial costs portion).

I ask..where is all the money in SWTOR?

Level Design? Majority of the game is indoor looking at crate farms. While there are some lovely mountains..you cant get to them. They are painted off in the distance. In WoW if you can see it..you can fly to it/climb it/etc.

SWTOR is full of invisible /visible walls cutting apart areas. You cant swim, and in general the areas feel clastrophobic. How is that immersive?

How about the talent/class system? Its a 100% rip off of WoWs design. Look at half the abilities of the sith warrior. Its just reskinned WoW.

I think I just heard a few fanboi-heads pop.

I'm sorry guys, but Fay here came up with some pretty well pointed research.

Whether if WoW was set after or under Wc3 is irrelevant.

According to the research and the clear proof right here, the community should really ask where all those money went.

I can pin-point it down to a few things:

- Fancy graphics

- Voice acting

- Advertisement

- "Buying" a non-fit engine

Keeping these few things in mind, it's almost obvious that the majority of the money has been spend on advertisement.

All that advertisement is now what the customers are paying for.

Edited by TotalKitty

Duke Nukem Forever begs to differ...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

QUOTED FOR TRUTH.

If you guys aren't having fun, go away. Play another game. Stop QQing on our forums already, there's TONS of other games out there you can play. I have more games right now than I know what to do with.

SOME OF US REALLY LIKE TOR. So if you don't, sorry.

Would you kindly stop playing it?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.