Add an Appearance Tab

OsarionRDM

See title: We need an Appearance Tab in TOR.

For those who don't know, an appearance tab is a separate set of equipment slots which takes priority over the way the way your character looks (which armor is shown), while you wear your "regular" gear for it's stat benefits.

There you go, complete customization of your character's look.

Edited by OsarionRDM

I'd much prefer that they work within the system in game - custom gear.

• remove base stats from purple drops and add an armoring slot to compensate
  • remove heavy, medium and light restrictions from armor
  • add heavy, medium and light restrictions to armoring mods so you can make any piece of armor match the weight class you need
  • maintain weapon types on orange gear

Further...

• only have custom gear for Head, Chest, Hand, Legs and Feet and Weapons. Belt, Bracers, Implants, Earpieces, Relics and Offhands all remain non-moddable (outside of Augments from crafting).
  • bosses in flashpoints drop blue, non-moddable items. I wouldn't mind seeing bosses have a chance to "crit" drop and drop a blue item w/an augment slot but it would cause intense grinding that we may regret
  • all bosses in flashpoints can drop Belts, Bracers, Implants, Earpieces, Relics and Offhands
  • final bosses in flashpoints drop blue quality mods to place in custom gear or orange, moddable items with NO MODS
  • bosses in operations drop purple non-moddable gear, moddable orange items and purple mods

Finally...

Keep some class restrictions on gear but not all. High end appearance gear from operations should have class-based appearances. Bioware said they want you to be able to look at a player and KNOW they are a Marauder or a Gunslinger. This allows most gear to become purely a cosmetic choice but, at high end gear, makes you look like your class.

i think they should have an appearance tab, but make it so that if u are wearing heavy armour for the stats you must wear heavy armour in the appearance tab. this way u cant have a bikini on, but have just as much defense as that guy wearing a starship on his chest. Also u shouldnt be eable to use armour that u dont have prof. with in the appearance tab. This way BW could design cool looking armours that are titled 'cosmetic armour' and not have to worry about high tier pvp/e armour's appearance. Also they should make certain cosmetic armours open to both sides (aka white robes for sith and black robes (à la Anakin episode 3) for jedi), this would make so many people happy.

i think they should have an appearance tab, but make it so that if u are wearing heavy armour for the stats you must wear heavy armour in the appearance tab. this way u cant have a bikini on, but have just as much defense as that guy wearing a starship on his chest. Also u shouldnt be eable to use armour that u dont have prof. with in the appearance tab. This way BW could design cool looking armours that are titled 'cosmetic armour' and not have to worry about high tier pvp/e armour's appearance. Also they should make certain cosmetic armours open to both sides (aka white robes for sith and black robes (à la Anakin episode 3) for jedi), this would make so many people happy.

What you're saying defeats the purpose of having custom gear. People WANT to look like they are fighting in a slave girl outfit without having to wear light armor which is currently required.

I would like an appearance tab too, but that would basically make the whole mod system pointless. Don't think they will go that route.

If I could pick one, I would definitely pick having an appearance tab.

I'm pretty much of the opinion that the mod system needs a major overhaul to benefit crafters/trade, or be done away with altogether.

Lord of the Rings Online solved the costume-issue nicely. You basically have one set of equipment for your stats, and two cosmetic outfits. You can then switch between them at will, even with a hotkey. The Cosmetic Outfit are just clothes, so they don't have any stats or anything. However, you can still equip armor there if you want. But if you do, you get the armor's apperance only, and not the stats. Plus, you still need to be able to wear the armor in the first place. So if you can only wear Light Armor, you can't equip Heavy Armor as cosmetic.

The best part was that they decided these Cosmetic Outfits doesn't matter for PvE, so you could run into a goblin camp dressed in a summer dress with a backpack full of books if you wanted to. The goblins are all AI monsters and don't care what you look like. However, if you want to go PvP, you were forced to wear the normal outfit. Simple as that.

Why can't we have the same in Old Republic? If you want to go PvE, you can wear anything you want. But if you play PvP, the cosmetic outfits are disabled. It's really that simple. That way you can run into a dungeon full of powerful enemies whlie wearing a bikini if you wanted to, but once you flag yourself for PVP, out comes the normal armor.

See title: We need an Appearance Tab in TOR.

For those who don't know, an appearance tab is a separate set of equipment slots which takes priority over the way the way your character looks (which armor is shown), while you wear your "regular" gear for it's stat benefits.

There you go, complete customization of your character's look.

given the promises of customizing armor weren't exactly how it was promoted, i think this should be in there. there needs some more choice. especially if you don't want to wear a dress. in protest, i always take my dress off except when i'm fighting.

witness my bare legs everywhere i go because all i want is pants.

• 2 weeks later...
given the promises of customizing armor weren't exactly how it was promoted, i think this should be in there. there needs some more choice. especially if you don't want to wear a dress. in protest, i always take my dress off except when i'm fighting.

witness my bare legs everywhere i go because all i want is pants.

Bioware, save us from the bare legs!

They very likely won't be doing an appearance tab.

I would suggest that players interested in custom appearance in TOR should read some of the blog posts from December that outline how they want the mod system and unify color system to work long term to achieve customization goals: http://www.swtor.com/blog/some-clarifications-item-modifications http://www.swtor.com/blog/why-unify-color-chest-piece-gone-and-whats-next.

Additionally, they will be adding in the ability to remove the base mod that is currently hidden from PvP and PvE gear in patch 1.2 due some time in march.

This will allow us to take the mods out of "ugly" gear and place it into orange mod gear.

In various other Dev posts and Blogs they have also talked about craftable orange items being critable to offer augment slots, and in providing medium and heavy versions of social armor.

I don't like games that allow you to appear as if you're wearing gear that you're really not..

Firstly it ruins the immersion of the game. It's like everyone is walking around wearing imaginary gear.. If I see a heavily geared trooper I want to see him as just that.. Otherwise a jedi could walk by looking like boba fett.. Or a Bounty hunter in a robe..

And even if you could only wear gear that you can equip.. It just ruins the real factor.. He's not really wearing that gear.. It's fake.. Imaginary.. making me feel disconnected from the characters and my character..

Another point I'll make is that in pvp you wouldn't be able to recognize who is wearing what.. If I see a guy in full Battlemaster gear I will recognize him and know to either keep my eye on him, cc him, or keep the hell away from him.. Or if he's on my team follow him..

If I see a guy walking around in full columni gear I'll think.. "Wow, impressive.. maybe even comment to him on his gear.."