Full Auto Skills in Gunnery Useless?

icjaker

So I have this player on my server who has supposedly "tested" out the fact that Full Auto is a useless talent, even in PVP (because the damage is low) and we should be only using Grav Round. I told him it'd be best to wait for combat logs before jumping to conclusions but he wouldn't listen... he was absolutely positive...

He said he and his guildmate did the math behind it and said something about minimum damage blah blah blah. I started to argue with him then quickly exited the conversation seeing that he wasn't going to budge from his stance on the matter.

Is Full Auto pointless? Should I drop points out of Curtains of Fire and invest them other places? Should I only be spamming my Grav Round like... GR, GR, GR, DR, GR GR, HIB?

Thanks!

Full Auto, no matter how broken is currently is, is the highest damage and most ammo efficient move in a gunner's arsenal. I don't know what math or tactics that guy was using but he was COMPLETELY wrong. Edited by Choobacca

Gunnery DPS is limited by ammo regen. If you talent FA for ammo regen then it borders on refunding more than it uses over its duration. Yes, the DPS may be a little less than 2 grav rounds over the same time period, but FA wins when considering ammo usage.

During an acute burn phase on a boss you probably should leave FA out (e.g. Soa's third phase). For all other situations, it is a win.

He is wrong. Untalented Full Auto my be usless, but once you get Deadly Cannon, Rotary Cannon and Courtain of Fire. Its on pair with Grav Round. If you get all 3 ticks to crit on Full Auto its even a little more in chanel than 2 crits with Grav Round. And Cell Charger it realy only costs 1 ammo to use. So no Full Auto is one of your best skills.

On the other hand what is up with Charged Bolts ? It says that is should hit for 1800 - 2000 damge but i never get more than 1600 from it when Grav Roung hits for more than the tooltip says.

Edited by FoxyWar

He is wrong. Untalented Full Auto my be usless, but once you get Deadly Cannon, Rotary Cannon and Courtain of Fire. Its on pair with Grav Round. If you get all 3 ticks to crit on Full Auto its even a little more in chanel than 2 crits with Grav Round. And Cell Charger it realy only costs 1 ammo to use. So no Full Auto is one of your best skills.

On the other hand what is up with Charged Bolts ? It says that is should hit for 1800 - 2000 damge but i never get more than 1600 from it when Grav Roung hits for more than the tooltip says.

The tooltip is the base damage of the skill, the reason charged bolts hit for less is due to the targets armor absorbing some (damage reduction). Naturally, grav round bypasses armor to an extent.

The tooltip is the base damage of the skill, the reason charged bolts hit for less is due to the targets armor absorbing some (damage reduction). Naturally, grav round bypasses armor to an extent.

Yes but the GR dot should reduce armor but CB hits for about the same with it or without 5 stackes of dot.

Edited by FoxyWar

Yes but the GR dot should reduce armor but CB hits for about the same with it or without 5 stackes of dot.

Because 20% reduced armor really equates to 1.5-2.5% damage reduction depending on armor type (heavy armor loses same amount if in or out of tank stance).

But on the part about full auto, my full auto in pvp (lvl 47 gunnery, don't take pvp seriously hence gunnery spec) crits for 2k each tick when it crits. Grav round crits for ~2100. So not using full auto when it procs and using grav round instead is a substantial damage loss.