Scoundrel = Dull class

mdironman

What we have

- invis

-weak Damage over time

i find myself hammering on a BH or Sorc for a min and him still beinh able to healed and shield at will

-a knockdown and some stuns that don work half the time because the most played chars on the sith side have shields that ignore this

What we dont have

- a sprit or push (all we have is stuns that dont work half the time)

this is useless in knocking people off bridges or platforms in huttball

-GOOD DAMAGE

i thought we were ment to quickly drop a target thats why we couldnt move fast know i pop out of stealth get noticed slowed and lightinged to death cause i cant hit hard enogh i have to rely on numbers and cant go out bymyself WHICH I LOVED SO MUCH and cant do it anymore

loosing interested

any cool abilities

all i have is the KO knock down which i find cool and know theres a delay of a second when i shoot and his on the groud and it doesnt seem as intimidating

so what i find is were suppose to do slow damage over time? and hide from people?

thanks for wasting my time bioware

-i live for pvp and it just makes me mad in this game cause my char cant do anything cool and dont tell me to L2P unless you play this class and find it fun scince the nerf (and are 50)

id love some tips

Go Hybrid. While Huttball will still be infuriating as you run back from the Pit a million times (tip: a lot of the time just focus on securing and holding the centre instead of trying to chase halfway across the map at a ballcarrier on gantries) in the other two maps I find I add a lot to the team (typically get 7-9 medals and 1-3 MVPs.) Slow Release Medpac is awesome, both for use on yourself (try it, with two stacks on yourself at all times you are no longer squishy which is awesome) and also for throwing on other people (it's an instant ability you can use at 30m while getting into position to do damage.)

I also find that as a Dirty Fighter my damage isn't bad, even though I've sacrificed Cold Blooded and Hemorrhaging Blast to get SRMP. Open with Shoot First if possible, follow up with Back Blast/Blaster Whip, apply both bleeds, Wounding Shot x2, Whip/Back Blast... that's a lot of damage. Usually by that point my target is dead because other people have been working with me but if we're talking about a real 1 on 1 you'll also have been using your defensives in there (Screen, making sure SRMP is up) which will put you in better shape than your target. It isn't a very quick kill (10-20s usually for the engagement) but its more fun than the old 3-move killgames.

The only thing that gives me real issues 1 on 1 are Battlemaster Sorceror healers who I can't really take down by myself (but they can't take me down either.) Do we need a sustained damage buff? Yes, but it's more to do with energy management than anything else.

Between HOTs, DOTs, burst damage and survivability I've found that now I know how to really use my character I do very well with him. People often don't know how to fight me often because I am rather... rare... compared to what they often face. I'm flexible, dangerous and often overlooked except by the best PVPs on my server who seem to have now added me to their 'focus and kill asap' list.

Go Hybrid. While Huttball will still be infuriating as you run back from the Pit a million times (tip: a lot of the time just focus on securing and holding the centre instead of trying to chase halfway across the map at a ballcarrier on gantries) in the other two maps I find I add a lot to the team (typically get 7-9 medals and 1-3 MVPs.) Slow Release Medpac is awesome, both for use on yourself (try it, with two stacks on yourself at all times you are no longer squishy which is awesome) and also for throwing on other people (it's an instant ability you can use at 30m while getting into position to do damage.)

I also find that as a Dirty Fighter my damage isn't bad, even though I've sacrificed Cold Blooded and Hemorrhaging Blast to get SRMP. Open with Shoot First if possible, follow up with Back Blast/Blaster Whip, apply both bleeds, Wounding Shot x2, Whip/Back Blast... that's a lot of damage. Usually by that point my target is dead because other people have been working with me but if we're talking about a real 1 on 1 you'll also have been using your defensives in there (Screen, making sure SRMP is up) which will put you in better shape than your target. It isn't a very quick kill (10-20s usually for the engagement) but its more fun than the old 3-move killgames.

The only thing that gives me real issues 1 on 1 are Battlemaster Sorceror healers who I can't really take down by myself (but they can't take me down either.) Do we need a sustained damage buff? Yes, but it's more to do with energy management than anything else.

Between HOTs, DOTs, burst damage and survivability I've found that now I know how to really use my character I do very well with him. People often don't know how to fight me often because I am rather... rare... compared to what they often face. I'm flexible, dangerous and often overlooked except by the best PVPs on my server who seem to have now added me to their 'focus and kill asap' list.

can u help me with my skill tree then ill try somthing else but this is still a load of crap what they did to this class

You have a number of builds that are viable now. If you can play stealther, meaning you pick targets you can kill quick, can find hiding places to get out of combat, are not a clicker I highly suggest go High Damage Scrapper. If you have problems with being a stealther (ie are a clicker), use the Med Damage Scrapper + Healing or Med Damage Dirty Fighter + Healing. Both of those classes won't rely on stealth as much.

High Damage Scrapper

4% endurance boost

4% damage reduction to all

K.O. has a delay allowing warps, remove it till fixed:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#701Mc0MZGhrodkrfczZh.1

Med Damage Scrapper + Healing

4% endurance boost

Med Pack (keep this on you at all times, 1 on 1, you will outlast anyone)

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#701MccMzZGhrodkrfc.1

Med Damage Dirty Fighter + Healing

Med Pack

33% chance to get upper hand grant from med pack (main benefit is you are now a 10M class, not 4M to get upper hand for wounding shot or pugnacity use)

tranq dart is a 50% damage reduction on opponent

regen energy from crits on dots

increased regen from pugnacity

increased energy from cool head

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#701MfcMdhZZhrbkrrhz.1

You have a number of builds that are viable now. If you can play stealther, meaning you pick targets you can kill quick, can find hiding places to get out of combat, are not a clicker I highly suggest go High Damage Scrapper. If you have problems with being a stealther (ie are a clicker), use the Med Damage Scrapper + Healing or Med Damage Dirty Fighter + Healing. Both of those classes won't rely on stealth as much.

High Damage Scrapper

4% endurance boost

K.O. has a delay allowing warps, remove it till fixed:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#701Mc0MZGhrodkrfczZh.1

Med Damage Scrapper + Healing

4% endurance boost

Med Pack (keep this on you at all times, 1 on 1, you will outlast anyone)

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#701MccMzZGhrodkrfc.1

Med Damage Dirty Fighter + Healing

Med Pack

33% chance to get upper hand grant from med pack (main benefit is you are now a 10M class, not 4M to get upper hand for wounding shot or pugnacity use)

tranq dart is a 50% damage reduction on opponent

regen energy from crits on dots

increased regen from pugnacity

increased energy from cool head

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#701MfcMdhZZhrbkrrhz.1

This stuff is before the scoundrel nerf man

This stuff is before the scoundrel nerf man

There is no *trick* build. A lot of the builds comes down to play ability now, whereas before Scrapper could help clickers along, now not so much.

If you really want to improve your game, get a decent gaming mouse with a number of keys and keybind your abilities (all of them, not just offensive but defensive as well. I used 24 abilities/items regularly as keybinds), like the Logitech G300 or the Razer Naga.

Scrappers are still viable, however you have to play as a stealther and understand how to pick your targets for quicker kills, avoid AE damage that keeps you in combat, and learn the maps to find the good hiding spots to get you out of combat.

Any damage build with med pack, makes it where you don't have to rely on stealth as much, and they are easier to play. If you are having problems with scrapper and you want to DPS, add med pack and it should make the play change easier to play through. The assumption being that you won't be able to kill as fast and will be out of stealth more so you will have med pack up to help you out of stealth.

I can attest that having med pack as a scrapper going full survivable is a bear to kill. Especially if you can actually play stealther well. When I ran med pack, I was all but invulnerable in PVP. My damage took a bit of a hit, but it made it a lot easier to not have any deaths in a match.

Edited by torhent

can u help me with my skill tree then ill try somthing else but this is still a load of crap what they did to this class

This is my current build: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#701MccMzZ0zZhrdorrGd0M.1

As you can see, it's very PVP focused and for PVE I'd drop Feelin' Woozy (probably for Cold Blooded.) While a lot of people swear by the Upper Hands you get from Medpac Mastery I've found that I prefer to have the extra defense (and Wounding Shot) that comes from putting more points into Dirty Fighting. On a Scrapper build, though, I'd probably go for Medpac Mastery - its just a Dirty Fighter hybrid really does need Wounding Shots.

During beta I HATED the smuggler class as a whole. HATED it. The cover was terrible. You could stand in a cover position on walls too and shoot down corridors. That didnt work out so well though. It was frustrating.

Now though its a refreshing change from the other classes. It has grown on me. I like that scattergun but feel the punch and kick animations need a few more hits. For instance, if were to kick someone in thier ... family jewels, id probably gohead and takem down with another shot, (like an uppercut) the problem being the next shot is a whole new activation, not incorporated into the groin shot animation itself.

Ive found many of the abilities in tor are like that. Single step animations that sort of, dont mesh too well in terms of fluid combat. That does sort of make them all lackluster and a little dull. Anyway, The cover system I really wanted out of. I couldnt stand the thought of just sitting there spamming a few attacks. Drove me nuts, still does. The answer to that for me has been the scoundrel. I can crouch, stand and shoot, run and shoot, attack from behind, and heal the team. I dont like rogue classes at all, stealth hasnt been something ive enjoyed for years but Ive found myself using it occasionally when I feel it appropriate. I refuse to play the jedi version of the rogue that stems from the consular, simply because of the saber. Moving on...

As for nerfs, sorry forgot to comment, I havent noticed. Then again I dont spend my time in warzones or trying to number crunch, just more so whether Im able to take mobs out effectively, and that combat flow seems ok.

Scoundrel actually turned out to be more of what I consider to be complete class than most of the others in the game. Dull? For me, not so much, may need some more attention, yea probably. Not bad by any means though, especially considering what it was and what it is now. Large improvements were made. Op I would suggest you play a few other classes at least up to 25 and then come back to your scoundrel, see if you dont fit better in one of the others, if you dont, and the scoundrel still seems dull.. well, the game is just dull for you. No fix for that. Good luck.

Edited by MarcosAguila

Just go Dirty fighting and your problems are solved.

You wont be a stealth nuker but, you hardly use stealth, you are then a ranged damage dealer that tab/target ALOT.

Shrapnel and Vital shot are your mains and once up close you have wounding and hemorhage.

And if they do come up close you still have your kick and backblast to rely on. etc etc.

For games like hutball you will probably do around 3 times more damage as dirty fighting then as scrapper. And any scrapper saying different have not tried dirty fighting.

You just dont have the burst, but your slow ticking dots will take a target down to half health just from 2 dots unless they are healed, so you support the team alot with that damage. And frustrates the enemy healers by miles.

You wont be a stealth nuker but, you hardly use stealth, you are then a ranged damage dealer that tab/target ALOT.

Shrapnel and Vital shot are your mains and once up close you have wounding and hemorhage.

And if they do come up close you still have your kick and backblast to rely on. etc etc.

For games like hutball you will probably do around 3 times more damage as dirty fighting then as scrapper. And any scrapper saying different have not tried dirty fighting.

You just dont have the burst, but your slow ticking dots will take a target down to half health just from 2 dots unless they are healed, so you support the team alot with that damage. And frustrates the enemy healers by miles.

dirty fighting is terrible. unless you get a lot of kill shots you have no way to generate upper hand unless you put some in sawbones and use an uwm on yourself or get up into melee and use blaster whip ie. not purely ranged. in addition any operative or merc can cleanse both of your dots instantly.

dirtyfighting is an excellent tree for gunslingers, not scoundrels

Edited by Corran

Can u remember me the meaning of playing a stealth class !)??! because i think ur playing a diferent class!!

dirty fighting is terrible. unless you get a lot of kill shots you have no way to generate upper hand unless you put some in sawbones and use an uwm on yourself or get up into melee and use blaster whip ie. not purely ranged. in addition any operative or merc can cleanse both of your dots instantly.

dirtyfighting is an excellent tree for gunslingers, not scoundrels

I agree and is why I would never be a DF Scoundrel. You can look at that tree and see it is for GS mostly.

Scoundrels were designed around Srapper and Healer or Gunslinger.

The only advantage DF has is that they get killed less as no one cares about them.

I agree and is why I would never be a DF Scoundrel. You can look at that tree and see it is for GS mostly.

Scoundrels were designed around Srapper and Healer or Gunslinger.

The only advantage DF has is that they get killed less as no one cares about them.

Soooo true. my damage is so laughable as a df that I routinely get killed by merc/op healers. What good is a dps class that cant even 1 v 1 a healer?

This was my spec before the nerf:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#701McbZGIMRdkMbfzZh.1

It was pretty decent. You might hear some people nit-pick it for one reason or another, but it worked very well.

Now, since the nerf... I realized I had to make some changes. Not want to... have to. This is what I have come up with:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#7010cZGhuRdkMfczZhr.1

Give this a go. I just specced to it earlier tonight, and I've run quite a few WZ's with it with some relatively great success.

You're going to immediately notice one thing: Shoot First is not knocking people down. It will be alarming at first. Don't worry. Pick your targets, and you'll get Back Blast off all the same. Once you get used to it, you'll never miss KO. Well... you will.... but you sure as h3ll won't miss a worthless 1.5s KO...

You'll also notice that Tendon Blast is your friend. Learn to love it. It hardly does anything to their Resolve, and it's practically spammable (not quite, but it's nice.) The reduced timer on Dirty Kick is also a breath of fresh air.

I know a lot of people swear by Round Two... I honestly just don't see a need for it. Yes, I know getting UH back is useful... but it's not going to win the fight by itself.

Doing anything solo with this build isn't going to be easy. Despite popular believe by other classes it wasn't easy in the first place. Now... you're just going to have to come to terms - there are some classes you have no chance at defeating 1v1. Everything else will be tough.

I found that this build allowed me to keep the flow of Scrapper in tact, while still being viable to some degree. Whatever you do - DO NOT waste points on KO. I might even say avoid Flechette Round altogether but... even though it isn't really going to give you the edge we actually NEED as a Scrapper.... investing so much into the Tree and not getting it is just dumb. It's a shame, too. It was the one skill that made the whole Tree work.

Edited by Raice

IMHO round 2 is needed because of the burst it adds.

I'm running this build now: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#701MzZMIRRdkrbfzZhr.1

The faster heal has saved me a couple of times and I don't use Vital Shot other than to prevent enemies from capping/planting. Keep in mind that Flechette Round is a bleed, so it works nicely with Round2.

Also KO is far from worthless. Shoot First, Backblast and Dirty Kick before the enemy gets up works if you have the timing right. Because of all the CC in Swtor there is a very high chance their CC-breaker is on cooldown. In other words five damaging abilities you can land before the enemy can react (if you add Blaster Whip and at least one Sucker Punch to the rotation after Dirty Kick).

Edited by karcyon

This was my spec before the nerf:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#701McbZGIMRdkMbfzZh.1

It was pretty decent. You might hear some people nit-pick it for one reason or another, but it worked very well.

Now, since the nerf... I realized I had to make some changes. Not want to... have to. This is what I have come up with:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#7010cZGhuRdkMfczZhr.1

Give this a go. I just specced to it earlier tonight, and I've run quite a few WZ's with it with some relatively great success.

You're going to immediately notice one thing: Shoot First is not knocking people down. It will be alarming at first. Don't worry. Pick your targets, and you'll get Back Blast off all the same. Once you get used to it, you'll never miss KO. Well... you will.... but you sure as h3ll won't miss a worthless 1.5s KO...

You'll also notice that Tendon Blast is your friend. Learn to love it. It hardly does anything to their Resolve, and it's practically spammable (not quite, but it's nice.) The reduced timer on Dirty Kick is also a breath of fresh air.

I know a lot of people swear by Round Two... I honestly just don't see a need for it. Yes, I know getting UH back is useful... but it's not going to win the fight by itself.

Doing anything solo with this build isn't going to be easy. Despite popular believe by other classes it wasn't easy in the first place. Now... you're just going to have to come to terms - there are some classes you have no chance at defeating 1v1. Everything else will be tough.

I found that this build allowed me to keep the flow of Scrapper in tact, while still being viable to some degree. Whatever you do - DO NOT waste points on KO. I might even say avoid Flechette Round altogether but... even though it isn't really going to give you the edge we actually NEED as a Scrapper.... investing so much into the Tree and not getting it is just dumb. It's a shame, too. It was the one skill that made the whole Tree work.

Lol, worthless... It doesn't fill the resolve bar anymore, meaning I can SF, SP, load another FR, DK, BB, SP, then either SP or BW and another SP. If I wait a little bit before using DK I can get a third CC off on them if I need to. I sit consistently in the top in Warzones and I've killed people in a 2v1 and then disappeared in front of the dead Sith's buddy.

Lol, worthless... It doesn't fill the resolve bar anymore, meaning I can SF, SP, load another FR, DK, BB, SP, then either SP or BW and another SP. If I wait a little bit before using DK I can get a third CC off on them if I need to. I sit consistently in the top in Warzones and I've killed people in a 2v1 and then disappeared in front of the dead Sith's buddy.

A 1.5s Stun is worthless. I don't have time to educate you in the logistics of this, but it's as useful as not even speccing it - which is "not at all." If you understood how Resolve worked (which I'm sure you don't) then you would understand why a 1.5s Knockdown is by and large as useful as nothing at all, and is in fact, worse.

As you can see, I didn't spec it, and I find that I am performing roughly the same as speccing it - except my 2 SP are somewhere else now that helps me with solid results. 2 Skill Points for a 1.5s Stun that creates more than half of the Resolve Bar is worthless. Feel free to waste these Talents if you want... but don't say I didn't try to warn you.

Here, read this. I dare you:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=227273

Edited by Raice

Except this is no longer accurate since KO doesn't fill the resolve bar. You can add DK right after it. And even with a full bar you can Tendon Blast them so they can't kite you. Now I'm not saying that KO is needed to perform well but what you are telling here is just not accurate!

Edited by karcyon

Except this is no longer accurate since KO doesn't fill the resolve bar. You can add DK right after it. And even with a full bar you can Tendon Blast them so they can't kite you. Now I'm not saying that KO is needed to perform well but what you are telling here is just not accurate!

Except I also spoke about that very thing. I go into great detail about how Resolve works and how it works both before and after 1.1.1.

Tendon Blast is irrelevant - it would have worked either way. You can't say that "It's okay, since we have Tendon Blast." We already had Tendon Blast. It already worked. It's not making up for anything because it already did what it was supposed to do.

The point is, no one is going to use an Escape on a 1.5s Knockdown. I go into great detail about this. When factoring in reaction time and the fact that 1.5s is a standard GCD... they'll never even know it happened. Throw on top of that ANY of our other Stuns, and they suddenly have an Escape afforded to them, which would have worked the same even before the nerf.

My point is this, KO now provides you enough time to use Back Blast immediately after Shoot First, where it used to provide you with enough time to get through half of your Burst Rotation - which included Back Blast. Currently, without KO, you still have the ability to use Back Blast - which effectively renders it equal to speccing into KO. I've tested this - I never miss the Back Blast. The target simply does not react in time. If nothing else, I use Tendon Blast, which does a decent amount of damage, it lasts longer than KO, doesn't fill up their Resolve at all, and gives me enough time to get behind them to hit them with Back Blast. I'm spending an extra GCD to do this, sure, but I'm also applying more damage than I would if I used KO, and I'm achieving a longer Stun.

Speccing KO is an option. Unfortunately, it's an option that costs more than it is worth. Thus... it is worthless. Look - don't get mad at me. I didn't design this to behave this way. I'm just providing you with the facts, and telling you how I chose to deal with it. Losing KO in your build is not going to "break" you. You'll actually be more effective.

First off all I'm not mad at you. Why should I? But you keep saying that KO fills the resolve bar:

If nothing else, I use Tendon Blast, which does a decent amount of damage, it lasts longer than KO, doesn't fill up their Resolve at all, and gives me enough time to get behind them to hit them with Back Blast.

That aside, theoretically you may be right. You wouldn't use the CC-breaker on KO, you would wait for Dirty Kick to use it. But enough people DO use it on every stun if it is up. And because of that the CC-breaker is almost never up so you can use SF, BB, DK, BW, SP almost all the time until they can do anything. And you can use KO, DK and Tendon Blast in one rotation.

Having said that: Yes it is not as good as before and yes there are other builds that are really good too.

Edited by karcyon

Little info on me:

lvl: 50

Valor: 64

Gear: Full BM except weapons, Champ MH, Rakata shotgun.

Crew: Biochem

Spec: Scrapper

My thoughts on the nerf:

Overall it has not bothered me. The damage loss in pvp is minimal, the loss in PvE is felt more. The change to K.O. was more of a buff in my opinion than a nerf. Now that K.O. dosn't fill the resolve bar we can stun lock a lot more effectivly and it also finds use as another interupt against casters. Gear being even there is no AC out there right now that scares me in 1v1 situations, only a few well played imps.

We can lock someone up for 7.5 seconds. 5.5 seconds of hard CC 2 seconds of Root.

Our burst is STILL good enough to kill almost any AC within that time.

Against casters we have 3 interupts/stuns on a primary target and still have a conditional 2 against a secondary target.

We are no longer have the most burst, but we still have enough burst and enough tools to control fights to win consistantly.

Little info on me:

lvl: 50

Valor: 64

Gear: Full BM except weapons, Champ MH, Rakata shotgun.

Crew: Biochem

Spec: Scrapper

My thoughts on the nerf:

Overall it has not bothered me. The damage loss in pvp is minimal, the loss in PvE is felt more. The change to K.O. was more of a buff in my opinion than a nerf. Now that K.O. dosn't fill the resolve bar we can stun lock a lot more effectivly and it also finds use as another interupt against casters. Gear being even there is no AC out there right now that scares me in 1v1 situations, only a few well played imps.

We can lock someone up for 7.5 seconds. 5.5 seconds of hard CC 2 seconds of Root.

Our burst is STILL good enough to kill almost any AC within that time.

Against casters we have 3 interupts/stuns on a primary target and still have a conditional 2 against a secondary target.

We are no longer have the most burst, but we still have enough burst and enough tools to control fights to win consistantly.

Your mostly full BM so I don't think doing damage is a concern for you at the moment lol. I honestly don't have a problem with the changes aside from the armor pen reduction. I used to do 200k dmg easily in a wz, (mostly full champ with a centurion belt bracers and blaster) but now I find I do 150-180k average and find myself at rarely at 200k. i honestly think that it's mostly because of the armor pen.

First off all I'm not mad at you. Why should I? But you keep saying that KO fills the resolve bar:

That aside, theoretically you may be right. You wouldn't use the CC-breaker on KO, you would wait for Dirty Kick to use it. But enough people DO use it on every stun if it is up. And because of that the CC-breaker is almost never up so you can use SF, BB, DK, BW, SP almost all the time until they can do anything. And you can use KO, DK and Tendon Blast in one rotation.

Having said that: Yes it is not as good as before and yes there are other builds that are really good too.

I dunno... I find that people have their CC-Breaker a lot more often than we give them credit. Either that or they're doing something I don't know about.

I was after this one Sorc - I swear he was breaking every CC I threw on him. It's like he had 3 escapes or something. I was very irritated.