No naming policies??

Adiva

I don't remember anything dealing with the Old Republic back in 1986. At the point all we knew was the Clone Wars. Darth Bane never existed as a character until the Prequels came out. I can't think of a single other Darth mentioned until that time.

Can you point to any Old Republic novelizations from 1986? I am pretty sure the original WEG books never mentioned any Darth title as well.

Ok, I see where you are right, I got confused by the KotOR retcon of the Darth title (originally Darth Bane was the originator of the title, but KotOR changed that) and the fact that it's been 13 years since Phantom Menace so things get jumbled in my head. Thing is, like it or not, it's Lucas's world. Besides, his NAME was Anakin Skywalker... they called him Lord Vader, they called him Darth Vader... why couldn't it have always been a title just because they didn't hang a lantern on it? Even before the prequels I figured Darth was some sort of Dark Jedi word (was there mention of "Sith" prior to Phantom Menace?), not like "First name Darth, surname Vader" so when they made Darth Sidious and Darth Maul, hey it made sense to me at least.

And really, in the end if you don't like the lore as it's been established since the prequels and post-prequels... you don't have to play.

Edited by AbsolutGrndZero

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And really, in the end if you don't like the lore as it's been established since the prequels and post-prequels... you don't have to play.

I have no real opinion on the whether Darth was better as a name or title. I have no preference when it comes to most of the lore. Really, the only reason I responded to you was that you kept offering completely inaccurate statements as fact while telling a poster (who was incidentally correct) that he obviously didn't know as much as you.

Next time, avoid this sort of thing...

Sooooo it got trashed back in 1986 then? Go back to that era. We won't miss you.

So, you never read a single novel or comic or anything published back in 1986 when the Old Republic era was created? Trust me, Darth was a title shortly after Return of the Jedi when the West End Roleplaying Game came out. Now, a sort of retcon that DID happen was that originally it was written that Darth Bane had created the title, but then when KotOR came out, they did a small retcon and made it so Darth had always been a Sith title.

Also, don't know about you, but I knew the Emperor's name was Palpatine long before the prequels. As for him being Darth Sidious, maybe not. But, even then, the title of "Darth" was well established as a TITLE way back in 1986.

Edited by Darth_Slaine

There must be some. On the general forums last night someone posted they had there character locked for a name and had to submit a new name before it would be unlocked.

Not sure how bad the name has to be though.

You can report any name that violates the EULA (which is roughly like 80% of the names most would consider "bad). That is what I do, quite vehemently to be exact on my server. Call them out and let them know the name you are reporting violates the EULA, and site as to why it violates the EULA.

They force us to sign a EULA every time we log into the game. If it's good enough for those who abide by it, that it is good enough for those who choose to violate it. EA may suck in other aspects of customer service, but I do know for certain they take their EULA seriously.

Edited by Damon_Mott

For those of you with no time to site the EULA, the EULA name policy is as followed:

Naming Policy

When creating a character or guild name for Star Wars: The Old Republic, it is encouraged that you select a name that reflects the theme of the game. The guidelines listed below outline the types of names that you can NOT use, and apply to both player or character names, as well as guild names.

You may not use any names that violate the General Rules. This includes the use of names that are hateful, defamatory, racist, ethnically offensive, obscene, vulgar, sexually explicit, or any other language that is offensive in nature.

You may not use names that are harassing or defamatory to other players or employees of EA, BioWare or LucasArts, e.g. EASUX, Timsretarded, and Biowaresux.

You may not use names of any EA, BioWare, or LucasArts employee or service related to Star Wars: The Old Republic.

You may not use names of copyrighted or trademarked characters, materials or products, e.g. Coca-Cola or Dr. Pepper.

You may not use names from popular culture or media, e.g. Lady Gaga or George Lucas.

You may not use names that are religiously or historically significant, e.g. Jesus, Winston Churchill.

You may not use proper names of areas within Star Wars for character names. Guild names, however, MAY use the proper names of specific areas to help promote role-playing and realm pride, e.g. Defenders of Tython or Protectors of Hutta.

You may not use proper names of non-player characters within Star Wars: The Old Republic, e.g. Darth Malgus, Satele Shan, Yoda, Darth Vader or Luke Skywalker.

You may not use names containing titles or ranks within them, e.g. General Supertrooper, Captain Tim, Darth Timmy, Knight Wakey.

You may not use names that refer to drugs or that are drug related.

You may not use names that contain an inappropriate phrase, sentence or any fragment of a sentence or Leet speak, e.g. uberhaxer, xxspeederxx, lolface, rofl, Noobwhacker, TimmyF**k, kock, fuk.

You may not use misspellings or alternative spellings of names that violate any of the above rules, e.g. Hamsolo, Yooda, DorthVader.

You may not use gibberish names when creating character, e.g. ajsdu, rifndsw, qweszs.

If you violate any part of the above Naming Policy you will either be assigned a new name, or given the option of changing the name. In addition to this, your account could incur a penalty up to and including account closure.

Thanks for not formatting that in any nice way like it is on the Rules of Conduct page (article D):

http://www.swtor.com/legalnotices/roc

Might as well quote that section as well:

D. Naming Policy

When creating a character or guild name for Star Wars: The Old Republic, it is encouraged that you select a name that reflects the theme of the game. The guidelines listed below outline the types of names that you can NOT use, and apply to both player or character names, as well as guild names.

1. You may not use any names that violate the General Rules. This includes the use of names that are hateful, defamatory, racist, ethnically offensive, obscene, vulgar, sexually explicit, or any other language that is offensive in nature.

2. You may not use names that are harassing or defamatory to other players or employees of EA, BioWare or LucasArts, e.g. EASUX, Timsretarded, and Biowaresux.

3. You may not use names of any EA, BioWare, or LucasArts employee or service related to Star Wars: The Old Republic.

4. You may not use names of copyrighted or trademarked characters, materials or products, e.g. Coca-Cola or Dr. Pepper.

5. You may not use names from popular culture or media, e.g. Lady Gaga or George Lucas.

6. You may not use names that are religiously or historically significant, e.g. Jesus, Winston Churchill.

7. You may not use proper names of areas within Star Wars for character names. Guild names, however, MAY use the proper names of specific areas to help promote role-playing and realm pride, e.g. Defenders of Tython or Protectors of Hutta.

8. You may not use proper names of non-player characters within Star Wars: The Old Republic, e.g. Darth Malgus, Satele Shan, Yoda, Darth Vader or Luke Skywalker.

9. You may not use names containing titles or ranks within them, e.g. General Supertrooper, Captain Tim, Darth Timmy, Knight Wakey.

10. You may not use names that refer to drugs or that are drug related.

11. You may not use names that contain an inappropriate phrase, sentence or any fragment of a sentence or Leet speak, e.g. uberhaxer, xxspeederxx, lolface, rofl, Noobwhacker, TimmyF**k, kock, fuk.

12. You may not use misspellings or alternative spellings of names that violate any of the above rules, e.g. Hamsolo, Yooda, DorthVader.

13. You may not use gibberish names when creating character, e.g. ajsdu, rifndsw, qweszs.

If you violate any part of the above Naming Policy you will either be assigned a new name, or given the option of changing the name. In addition to this, your account could incur a penalty up to and including account closure.

Edited by fodigg

I have no real opinion on the whether Darth was better as a name or title. I have no preference when it comes to most of the lore. Really, the only reason I responded to you was that you kept offering completely inaccurate statements as fact while telling a poster (who was incidentally correct) that he obviously didn't know as much as you.

Next time, avoid this sort of thing...

Get off my back, I made a ******** mistake in my post, I apologized and said how I got 30 years of information a bit jumbled in my head and thought the Tales of the Jedi comics were older than they were. I'm so happy that you are so ******* perfect with your photographic memory that's never happened to you. Yeah, maybe I'm a bit mad right now but I see constantly people on these forums making false statements, they are proven wrong, then they continue to insist they are right. At least when I was shown my error, I apologized. So, please don't put me in the same boat as those idiots who continue to insist they are right even when proven wrong.

As for it being a name or a title, we have no idea whether it was a name or a title prior to it becoming a title officially. It very well COULD have been a title and unless we ask George Lucas what his thoughts were back in 197x when he wrote the original movie scripts, all we can do is guess and/or look at what it is NOW. As I said, when he told Luke he was his father, I didn't assume his name was Darth Skywalker. I figured Darth Vader had some meaning other than his given name.

Edited by AbsolutGrndZero

Get off my back, I made a ******** mistake in my post, I apologized and said how I got 30 years of information a bit jumbled in my head and thought the Tales of the Jedi comics were older than they were. I'm so happy that you are so ******* perfect with your photographic memory that's never happened to you. Yeah, maybe I'm a bit mad right now but I see constantly people on these forums making false statements, they are proven wrong, then they continue to insist they are right. At least when I was shown my error, I apologized. So, please don't put me in the same boat as those idiots who continue to insist they are right even when proven wrong.

As for it being a name or a title, we have no idea whether it was a name or a title prior to it becoming a title officially. It very well COULD have been a title and unless we ask George Lucas what his thoughts were back in 197x when he wrote the original movie scripts, all we can do is guess and/or look at what it is NOW. As I said, when he told Luke he was his father, I didn't assume his name was Darth Skywalker. I figured Darth Vader had some meaning other than his given name.

Actually Absolute, hes basing his info off a wiki page probably made by him and his buds

I am a original Star Wars fan from 77 (and old enough to fully remember seeing it there to boot) and Darth was never called Vadars name. It was always a title to me and mine.

I wouldnt worry about guy your responding to. If you look through the posting history its pretty clear hes just here to cause trouble and start arguements and ALWAYS comes down on the non RP side of things (which is probably why hes posting in a RP FORUM, so he can stir the pot and cause arguements).

And your right, Darth was never his name. His name was Vader, his title was Darth or Lord. Never both.

Some people just post here to cause trouble and that seems to be whats going on here looking at his posting history here!

anyways, your not wrong, he is.

Just so you know. And your also right that until Lucas comes out and says other wise, Darth remains a title and always been a title.

But anyways, dont stress obver that guy attacking you

I wouldnt worry about guy your responding to. If you look through the posting history its pretty clear hes just here to cause trouble and start arguements and ALWAYS comes down on the non RP side of things (which is probably why hes posting in a RP FORUM, so he can stir the pot and cause arguements).

That guy isn't me, but I just wanted to point out that some of us are actually RPers who post on the "non RP side of things" because we don't want to see the community turn into nothing more than a cannibalistic elitist clique where people are no longer comfortable playing as they wish because of the RP server police. We post because we care what happens to the community, not because we're griefers or like "stirring the pot."

Dismissing us as nothing more than "non RPers" venting their "spew" (as you called it in another post) simply because we don't agree with you strikes me as the tactic of someone who can only defend his argument by telling himself that anyone outside of his "charmed circle" of like-minded RPers doesn't really matter anyway.

Let me reiterate: The RP community is not monolithic. People do not always agree on what is acceptable behavior. Some people find that even callsign-type names break their immersion, while others have no issue with it. Some people think that there should be no use of double brackets (( )) because everyone should be IC all the time on an RP server anyway, while others use IC only in very specific IC situations. Some people allow any imaginable concept that doesn't directly contradict canon, while others prefer to follow a more traditional, canon-based approach to character building.

Here's the thing: Nobody has the *right* to not be irritated by other people during their playtime, even if it's on an RP server. BioWare is trying to walk a reasonable middle ground by providing an RP-friendly environment while choosing not to enforce naming guidelines or behaviors that not all of the community would agree on anyway. Where such enforcement could infringe upon the behavior of players RPing in good faith but not adhering to the strictest level of RP conventions, I'd rather see less enforcement and more playstyle freedom for those who don't fit the narrow RP mold. If it's a choice between some people being annoyed and other people not being able to play as they like - even though they're well within the current rules for the server - I'll take people being annoyed.

(That includes me, by the way. I find the decision BW made to allow player character Chiss to be incredibly immersion-breaking. But I deal with it. And I don't even go out of my way to avoid Chiss these days - because that agent over there might just have an incredible backstory that it'd be a shame to miss.)

Actually Absolute, hes basing his info off a wiki page probably made by him and his buds

I am a original Star Wars fan from 77 (and old enough to fully remember seeing it there to boot) and Darth was never called Vadars name. It was always a title to me and mine.

And your right, Darth was never his name. His name was Vader, his title was Darth or Lord. Never both.

Some people just post here to cause trouble and that seems to be whats going on here looking at his posting history here!

anyways, your not wrong, he is.

Just so you know. And your also right that until Lucas comes out and says other wise, Darth remains a title and always been a title.

But anyways, dont stress obver that guy attacking you

As I am that guy, I think it is fair for me to respond.

You refer to my posting history and that I always come down on the "non-RPer" side of things... What I think you mean is that I disagreed with you in one other thread. I would humbly again disagree with your assertion that your opinion is representative of all RPers. In fact, I can disprove this idea by pointing out that I am an RPer and I believe you are wrong when you say that Bioware needs to implement extraordinary naming rules for RP servers.

I prefer to focus on promoting RP rather than trying to attack, malign or isolate people coming to RP servers because I think they are not serious enough about RP.

You need to recognize that not all RPers agree with you and that you don't speak for all, or even most RPers.

Now, I have a few other posts on this forum and I use my presence here to try to establish more RP contacts, grow RP and promote a healthy community. I don't think that is stirring the pot.

Finally, now that you have taken up the mantle of Defender of Darth as a title in '77 perhaps you can point out where in any of the original films it was made clear that Darth was a title and that there were multiple Darths running around? Beside, of course, your assertion that it was true for you and yours?

I would suggest you look for web sources, but as you have accused me of editing them all to suit my own argument I guess we will need to stick to the films.

Edited by Darth_Slaine

Get it back on track, or go make your own new thread about it. Thanks.

We have multiple threads about naming policies for RP servers. There is another one going right now.

In fact, we should probably only have one thread and the extras might as well be deleted.

Why not report the OP to have it combined with the others or removed?

Edited by Darth_Slaine

Here's a conversation from 2006 about that very subject. Seems people have been discussing "Title or not?" for a bit.

http://boards.theforce.net/classic_trilogy/b10002/23463199/r23468981/

Pertinent bits are as so:

Do you think that George Lucas originally intended "Darth" to be a first name, instead of a title of the sith warriors? I mean like Mike, John, Darth, and Ron instead of Mr. Mrs. and Darth?

I get this by thinking of what Obi-Wan said when he was initially talking to Luke "A young Jedi by the name of Darth Vader"

and

VADER: The circle is now complete. When I left you I was but a learner, now I am the master.

OB1: Only a master of evil, Darth.

I'm with you, first_mate. The way Obi-Wan says it definitely makes it sound like a name, not a title. I honestly thought it was his name until I heard about Darth Sidious around when TPM came out. As others have said, I think originally it was a name then Lucas decided to change it to a title; other things have changed since 1977 so it's not surprising.

From wikipedia -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_sources_and_analogues

In a 2005 interview, George Lucas was asked the origins of the name "Darth Vader", and replied: "Darth is a variation of dark. And Vader is a variation of father. So it's basically Dark Father." (Rolling Stone, June 2, 2005). "Vader" is the Dutch word for "father" (the Dutch word is instead pronounced "vah-der"), and the German word for "father" (Vater) is similar. However, in the earliest scripts for Star Wars, the name "Darth Vader" was given to a human Imperial general with no apparent relationships.

Honestly, it is not the first time that Lucas has developed things on the fly, and changed things after the fact. Yes, in canon it is a title now. Was it when the movie was filmed in the late 70's? I don't think so.

/end thread derail

Edited by Rhaethe

Honestly, it is not the first time that Lucas has developed things on the fly, and changed things after the fact. Yes, in canon it is a title now. Was it when the movie was filmed in the late 70's? I don't think so.

/end thread derail

Thanks, well that's cleared up.

So uhm, argument aside... I'm sick of seeing this thread come up with "new posts" when its an entirely derailed post. Get it back on track, or go make your own new thread about it. Thanks.

Otherone is derailed as well by the same guy!

Fact that there is multiple threads from different posters tells me this is a issue to more people.

Its the same 3 people defending the non RP names and new people complaining about them

Personally I would have tagged 1 of those 3 with trolling infraction at this point (the others ones, actually just saying same thing over and over... yes we get the rules are not proper for a RP server, thats what much of the complaining about, least their not trolling. IMO anyways).

Its pretty clear to most people on the topic, who have actually said something about it, the stabardized naming rules by Bioware have fallen short of the mark for many Role Players.

For me, it will be my #1 reason for walking away when that timecomes. I subbed for 6 months so clearly I want to stay long term but if im done the content by the end of 6 months ill probably cancel rather then wait for expansion and the lack of STANDARD RP SERVER naming rules and lack of STANDARD MMORPG RP SERVER enforcement will be one of the key decisiding factors.

And you, I know 50+ people that feel the same and countless I dont know that Ive seen one off comments here and there saying much the same thing.

The RP community not asking for anything outlandish or unheard of, before WOW came along, name enforcement was a standard expected item on RP servers. Really only SWG stands out as RP suggested servers but everyone knows that was just SOE being cheap and not wanting to pay the few extra dollars for moderators to do the job.

I truely hope Bioware isnt showing the world they plan to be just as cheap as SOE. Though to be honest, their choices on the bussiness side thus far have been to standard SOE quality. IE : NON EXISTANT AND TERRIBLE.

In closing: I think its pretty obvious to any passer by you have two camps going at it here.

The RP camp that just want servers to play on where they can immerse themselves in the enviroment and enjoy their time in game, with out hurting anyone else.

And the non RP camp that have decided to roll on RP servers and not RP, not help build immersion, not bring anything to the server andtry to impact and diminish the RP players experience by breaking immersion, ruining enviroment, harrassing the players while hiding behind the internet tough guy version of "wellt he rules say ..." as a defence to negatively impact others experiences.

Personally Ive never understood this modern generations obsession with negatively impacting others gaming experiences. I dont see the joy and fun in it.

If I dont feel like Role Playing, I dont ruin someone elses Role Play, I stay quiet and unnoticable in the back ground.

If I dont want to PVP,I dont go to PVP servers and try to turn them into non pvp servers. I let the pvpers have their fun in THEIR ENVIROMENT.

And thats what this topic comes down to me as. The so called right by the non RP crowd to roll stupid non RP names on the RP servers and attack RPers and ruin their enviroment when they can (and should) easily just roll on a PVE server and fit in with like minded people.

Its clear cut Harrassment and Trolling and Im very disappointed in Bioware for allowing it to continue in game and here.

And I hope 50 threads on the topic gets opened so maybe Bioware will take notice.

To late for these non RP - PVE servers but would really be nice if Biowareopened up REAL RP SERVERS with rEAL NAMING RULES ENFORCED and let those of us that want to play by the rules tranbsfer or even just roll there!

In closing: I think its pretty obvious to any passer by you have two camps going at it here.

The RP camp that just want servers to play on where they can immerse themselves in the enviroment and enjoy their time in game, with out hurting anyone else.

And the non RP camp that have decided to roll on RP servers and not RP, not help build immersion, not bring anything to the server andtry to impact and diminish the RP players experience by breaking immersion, ruining enviroment, harrassing the players while hiding behind the internet tough guy version of "wellt he rules say ..." as a defence to negatively impact others experiences.

I am an RPer. I support the rules as they are. Does that make a third camp?

Likewise.

For a supposed old guy, the logic of "i'm an RPer who doesn't hurt anyone, but any doodyhead who doesn't agree with me should be removed from the server for diminishing my experience" is incredibly unbefitting.

Edited by Hrisskar

When I was a kid, I used to pretend to be an astronaut in my back yard. Unfortunately birds kept griefing me by singing and chirping, because there are no birds in outer space and even if there were I wouldn't be able to hear them. So I had to quit forever, in light of those accursed birds ruining my immersion.

True story?

I don't think any more detailed naming policies are a positive for the game.

Enforcing them uses up a lot of support resources that could be directed somewhere else.

They're also often abused by players. Because it's so hard to define what is a RP acceptable name above and beyond obvious things like 'No Dorth Vader', this leads to malicious reporting, where people report the names of those players they dislike for other reasons, like personal disagreements.

The best RP-naming tool is simply a strong RP community. If the numbers of RPers are substantial, then it makes the impact of poor names much weaker.

This. I completely agree with this.

When I was a kid, I used to pretend to be an astronaut in my back yard. Unfortunately birds kept griefing me by singing and chirping, because there are no birds in outer space and even if there were I wouldn't be able to hear them. So I had to quit forever, in light of those accursed birds ruining my immersion.

True story?

Great story. :D

Role players just need to role play. Find other RPers who enjoy role play compatible with yours, and associate with them more than others, as much as feasible. The more you try to control the hundreds of other people out there--some of whom take special delight in making you explode with frustration over your inability to control--the more unhappy you are doomed to be.

No. It demolishes the argument, which is propped up by the "No true Scotsman" fallacy, to admit that not all RPers want stricter naming or rules enforcement. Therefore, players must be lumped into one or the other category depending on whether they agree with that poster or not, RP credentials notwithstanding.

"Many of you who say they are not are not truly role-players. If you were, you would see bad or silly names as RP griefing and not something to be passive about when you see it."

Not the poster you're responding to, but the mindset appears to be the same.

True story?

I am so reposting this. Thanks, man, that is the best analogy I've read in a very long while.

Immersion is to many very much a word exchangeable with concentration and attention. It borders on both. Most people, however, have never achieved what it means to be immersed with your character. It's not a light feat; it takes a lot of understanding of your character in order to make the character 'live' and 'think'. The moments where someone knows without knowing exactly when their character rubs their nose and sniffs or makes a sudden snappy remark. Most people that rant about their immersion being broken have never felt these moments. 'Immersion' is just a term, so, let's look at it from their perspective. If immersion is more about attention than about understanding, then isn't it your own fault that your attention is so easily drawn by OOC matters?

End of rant. I think I made my point clear enough.

Edited by Sacredless