The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

[PvP Problem] Vanguard vs. Sentinel | Marauder

JackSmoke

Greetings,

once again it's me with a Topic because I'm facing big issues right now with my Vanguard.

I respec'd to Defense for PvP and I'm very glad with it. Lots of medals, lots of fun.

Except against Sentinels (Huttball) or Marauders.

Just recently I fought a guy named "Tethorius" (who was later apparently banned for hacking according to his guild), but I had real issues against him and Sentinels / Marauders in general.

I have a Sentinel as well (level 50) and I usualy know how to counter them, yet they literaly burn through my armor in seconds. Heck, even Scoundrels | Ops on Level 49 were no problem in Defense Spec so far. But Sentinels seem to just ignore all armor no matter what, which is kind of weird, because my biggest issue on a Sentinel were Vanguards / Powertechs.

So I wanted to know how you guys face them.

Against a Marad , first thing is , dont panic ! Yes they are gonna come in hard and fast and try to burn you down. You're most effective range vs a Marad is 10m. From this range you have a whole array of skills you can use against him where he can far less.

I mean it really depends on how ur specced and how your playstyle is. Just remember if you can hold a maradar at 10m you will win.

They actually ignore armor :p for 6 seconds, every 15 seconds if carnage spec'd. Or completely with DoTs if Annihilation spec.

Against a good carnage spec'd marauder, sorry, you will not win. Because he has 2 roots, runs faster than you and the force scream 100% crit chance ignores armor / shield completely.

Against anihilation, your best bet is to try to kite them in the 10m range, if you are assault spec you can keep them slowed and out of mellee range. But again, a good marauder will pop cooldowns or the vanish thing to catch you up.

Marauders are the best and worse class in the game currently imho. A good, skilled marauder will win most, if not all, 1v1 encounters they face. While most marauders you find in WZ are just fodder, free kill.

Remember the game isn't balanced around 1v1, and WZ pvp have objectives. You can beat a marauder just by pulling him into the fire/acid. And as long they are chasing you all over the map, they are not on your healers. Trust me, there's nothing worse for a healer than a marauder focused on them.

Look for this ability. Learn what the abilty looks like, white light sabers crossed with reddish background and white stars. Learn the animation. Got it?

Now save your stun for when they do that. then get 9 meters away. In general, stay 4-9 meters away. They can snare you as well as you can snare them so its whomever is circle strafing better. Your attitude and engagement into the encounter will dictate the fight. Expect to win, and you probably will. (Unless you are horribly outgeared).

Edited by ururururu

Against a marauder/sentinel the first thing you should do is panic in a 1v1 situation. Arguably the best 1v1 class out there and will pretty much take down anything that stands in front of them 1v1 wise. Just stun him and run or get some players to kill it.

Against a marauder/sentinel the first thing you should do is panic in a 1v1 situation. Arguably the best 1v1 class out there and will pretty much take down anything that stands in front of them 1v1 wise. Just stun him and run or get some players to kill it.

I really dont agree.

Just had a fight with a battle master mara the other day in my rather recent lvl 50 vanguard that lacks some champ pieaces, and I won the fight.

Cant remember the name unf.

Marauders are however I say one of the worst if not THE worst to get on you if you are unable to control them. Thats right.

But if you panic, your dead.

There is NO way a marauder wins over a vanguard if you have the correct spec.

If you run without ion cell then yeah, your toast.

Sure they ignore armor but not 100% of the time, and most of their attacks have a chance to trigger shield .

In my spec, 8/2/31, I am able to have survival as a tank, with ion cell and shield. I have the snare which procs as much as a talented plasma, but at the cost of a total of 3 talents for the dot and snare compared to plasma that costs more talents to get up to those ranks.

Base proc on ion is 15%, talented plasma is 16%. Snare on plasma costs 2 talent poitns, 1 talent point in shield.

Im able to burst them down while taking low damage from them, and again, their attacks have a huge chance of proccing shield.

If you are full assault and running generator, then yeah, you are in deep problems vs this class.

Trading 15% damage over 75% survival is something Im not sure I understand, cause thats how lower damage you do when using shield over generator and using ion compared to plasma, and speccing 8 points into shield compared to tactics.

the 2 points I have, I have in 40% arp on HIB. Cant afford 3/3, but 2/3 is good enough.

Check out Oozo's vids. He's a heavy damage spec vanguard but with special focus on reducing the amount of times he can be CCed. He even runs a regular power generator instead of shield and still owns because of superior kiting skills and knowledge of other class' weaknesses.

Muraders are designed to kill 1v1 , they have many tools to help them do just that. It is their specialization. So trading damage with a Murader , you're probably not gonna win but you have your own tools to really make it hard for him. 10m is the magic number. Far enough from melee attacks but close enough to avoid force leap while being able to damage them with some good abilities.

In a WZ situation the difference between a good vanguard and a bad one is map awareness and teamwork. A good vanguard is usually by their healer somewhere instead of trying to be rambo. Most Muraders are going to focus the squish or healer before you so your job is to guard and disrupt the Murader and , if you have good enough damage , kill him.

Happens in my games all the time :p