Show off your characters!

Calarand

Yes, and there are people named Napoleon, but that doesn't mean that name isn't more associated with a (very) famous historical figure rather than being considered a common name.

It's still not something that IMO should be against the rules any more than Olivia is. After all, Shakesspeare INVENTED the name. If it's a copyrighted name, okay yeah I get it. But Khan, Olivia, etc isn't copyrighted. Hell, IMO they shouldn't even stop you from having the name Hans but they do... cause OMG it contains "Han". or even Han itself. Now, if you were Hansolo? Yes, that should be a violation. Luke? Nope. Luke Skywalker of the Skywalker Legacy? Yep.

It's still not something that IMO should be against the rules any more than Olivia is. After all, Shakesspeare INVENTED the name. If it's a copyrighted name, okay yeah I get it. But Khan, Olivia, etc isn't copyrighted. Hell, IMO they shouldn't even stop you from having the name Hans but they do... cause OMG it contains "Han". or even Han itself. Now, if you were Hansolo? Yes, that should be a violation. Luke? Nope. Luke Skywalker of the Skywalker Legacy? Yep.

Well then we disagree.

I think names that are obvious references to famous people or fictional characters should be against the rules.

But then again, I play on a roleplaying server, so maby I'm just a bit more interested in having a good naming policy.

(oh and btw, my own actual name is prohibited in-game because there's an NPC named that.)

EDIT: nevertheless, this is not the time or place to discuss naming policies.

Edited by OddballEasyEight

Well then we disagree.

I think names that are obvious references to famous people or fictional characters should be against the rules.

But then again, I play on a roleplaying server, so maby I'm just a bit more interested in having a good naming policy.

(oh and btw, my own actual name is prohibited in-game because there's an NPC named that.)

EDIT: nevertheless, this is not the time or place to discuss naming policies.

all my toons are named after either video game, anime, comic book, or cartoon characters hehe

With the Ghostly Magus set on the CM I just had to get it, mostly for the chest piece. As a result I used bits and pieces I had to make a simple outfit Catigernus wears. Unlike Darth Marr, he can't wear heavy battle armour all the time. It looks odd.

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/304/9/f/simple_robes_by_viennachan-d84tuo5.jpg

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/304/6/a/naw_by_viennachan-d84tuxq.jpg

Well then I'm sure most of them violate the naming rules.

Those rules aren't actively policed though, so unless someone reports you, you should be fine.

And people usually only report names on RP servers.

naw I'm on a PVE server! plus, I put a hyphen in most of the names somewhere in order to change them up a bit! saw someone w/ a toon named JoePesci the other day on my server haha

See, that's funny on a PvE or PvP server.

On an RP server, not so much.

Considering some of the names I see regularly on an RP server, I'd say you can get away with anything so long as no one reports you. Very few people report names, it seems. The number of slightly changed original trilogy names I see is staggering.

Naming your toon after a favorite character outside Star Wars is 100% fine in my book, as long as it is a name, and not just random nonsense like the "Ketchupandmustard of the Condiment Legacy".

Edited by RGMetal

Considering some of the names I see regularly on an RP server, I'd say you can get away with anything so long as no one reports you. Very few people report names, it seems. The number of slightly changed original trilogy names I see is staggering.

Naming your toon after a favorite character outside Star Wars is 100% fine in my book, as long as it is a name, and not just random nonsense like the "Ketchupandmustard of the Condiment Legacy".

Like I said, there is no active policing of the rules, it's all up to player reports.

And it doesn't really matter what's ok in your book since there are actually naming rules for the game.

but what if you are roleplaying a toon to be joe pesci?? i mean isnt that what role playing means?? some people just need to lighten up. :rolleyes:

And some people need to learn what roleplaying is, it seems.

But I'm used to it. Get that type of response all the time.

But no... nobody is roleplaying as "joe pesci".

Besides, if you really want to have funny and famous names and think people just need to "lighten up", then maby playing on a roleplaying server isn't for you?

It'd be like playing on a PvP server and saying that people have to stop ganking other players or attacking them outside of warzones and arenas.

Ok, we've had the majority of last two pages dedicated to repeating the same three things about the game's naming policies over and over (14 out of the last 21 replies). Yes the devs prohibit names they consider protected, yes people disagree whether certain names should count, yes a lot of people slip under the radar. Can you guys stop derailing the topic now please? Edited by Obreck

And some people need to learn what roleplaying is, it seems.

But I'm used to it. Get that type of response all the time.

But no... nobody is roleplaying as "joe pesci".

Besides, if you really want to have funny and famous names and think people just need to "lighten up", then maby playing on a roleplaying server isn't for you?

It'd be like playing on a PvP server and saying that people have to stop ganking other players or attacking them outside of warzones and arenas.

how do you know someone isn't roleplaying joe pesci?? the thing is you DONT! ;)

In western culture, no. (I doubt there are many Pashtuns or Afghans playing the game).

And it's certainly associated with not only a historical figure but also fictional ones.

umm hate to break it to ya bub but it kinda is a common name in the western culture. you forget the western culture is made up of a LOT of other cultures. Kahn is a common name in asian culture. the 4 people i know named kahn were asian.

Ok, we've had the majority of last two pages dedicated to repeating the same three things about the game's naming policies over and over (14 out of the last 21 replies). Yes the devs prohibit names they consider protected, yes people disagree whether certain names should count, yes a lot of people slip under the radar. Can you guys stop derailing the topic now please?

sorry for continuing this stupid topic. i shall quit now :(

Jedi Guardian

Battle Armor - pretty much the reaver's armor with gray/purple dye

http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt87/lengjaiwoaini/SWTOR/Screenshot_2014-11-02_22_42_03_810002_zps6613e5e8.jpg

Regular - custom set with ambitious warrior chest/brace/waist, ajunta pall mask, nimble brawler gloves, sovereign mind pants, intimidator boots with white/dark brown dye

http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt87/lengjaiwoaini/SWTOR/Screenshot_2014-11-06_20_46_23_834699_zpsae77c1e5.jpg

Not clear so I'll post more pics later :p

Ok, we've had the majority of last two pages dedicated to repeating the same three things about the game's naming policies over and over (14 out of the last 21 replies). Yes the devs prohibit names they consider protected, yes people disagree whether certain names should count, yes a lot of people slip under the radar. Can you guys stop derailing the topic now please?

Since it's something that will simply never be understood by some people (the "people need to lighten up" type) I'll refrain from further discussing it.