Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Alderaan side point speeders?

VoidSpectre

Do you think they are too fast? My friends and I have been having this conversation. Like all things, sometimes I love it, and sometimes I hate it.

When I have it a few of us can literally hold off a whole team. When I am fighting other players we can kill them over and over only to be shutdown by insta-side-speeder rezzers.

After much thinking I have come to the conclusion that I feel they might be too fast. What do you think? Either way I feel like this is strangely an issue unmentioned.

I've found that most player don't even know that the side speeders are fast or that they take you to the side points.

Nine times out of ten I watch people take the slow middle speeder even when we have a fast speeder available (hint, taking the fast speeder and running to middle or the other side is FASTER than taking the middle speeder).

I've found that most player don't even know that the side speeders are fast or that they take you to the side points.

Nine times out of ten I watch people take the slow middle speeder even when we have a fast speeder available (hint, taking the fast speeder and running to middle or the other side is FASTER than taking the middle speeder).

yeah that is crazy. but how do you feel about it when people do know about it?

Nah, they're not bad. Yeah, they give a defensive advantage, but I think the idea is to promote tactical team play. The fast defense spawn on the sides means the team that's down might need to stop, take a breath, think for a half second, and do something functional.

It also negates some of the advantage of an offensive zerg, which is an annoying sort of thing that happens far too often.

It also negates some of the advantage of an offensive zerg, which is an annoying sort of thing that happens far too often.

The defensive advantage is too high at the points. If team b zergs the left then team a just has to move a few guys over (keep a few at another point) and the quantitative advantage of being able to get back in under 20s after death gives them a big advantage. It can be 8v4, but the defense still has an edge. All it takes is one person (once other 3 people at dead) to keep them delayed for a few seconds from capping before the others arrive.

Zerging is stupid, but tactically moving around the map is problematic. The sides have such a big advantage that it makes trying to split forces to cap separate points simultaneously almost pointless.

I hate Alderan because of these reasons. Void Star is balanced for attackers because of the stupidly long respawn times and Huttball is a 3 dimensional map where zerging can be negated.

The defensive advantage is too high at the points. If team b zergs the left then team a just has to move a few guys over (keep a few at another point) and the quantitative advantage of being able to get back in under 20s after death gives them a big advantage. It can be 8v4, but the defense still has an edge. All it takes is one person (once other 3 people at dead) to keep them delayed for a few seconds from capping before the others arrive.

Zerging is stupid, but tactically moving around the map is problematic. The sides have such a big advantage that it makes trying to split forces to cap separate points simultaneously almost pointless.

I hate Alderan because of these reasons. Void Star is balanced for attackers because of the stupidly long respawn times and Huttball is a 3 dimensional map where zerging can be negated.

Yeah I feel like many games become a who-capped-the-side-first kind of game.

especially if each side has tanks and heals. by the time any tank or healer dies they can be easily back before the caps... regardless of the actual outcome of the fight

it's not like I don't want it to be fair. but the initial capper winning is all i normally see

Edited by VoidSpectre

I'm not sure if it's good or bad... but capping first is feeling like a victory takes the strategy out of it. Taking 4-6 to take down 2-3 because they have side speeders feels insane

The game is designed that each side has an advantage for a side turret. It's closer. Get that turret and the fight should be over middle. Every variation is strategy and counter strategy.

GET YOUR SIDE TURRET OR ELSE

it's not like I don't want it to be fair. but the initial capper winning is all i normally see

The closest comparison to this map is Arathi Basin from WoW, but AB was more about positioning.

You had five points and needed to control three points. Whatever three points completely changed how you rotated between points and it was far easier to lose points because of distance. You also spawned on different parts of the map. The map was balanced with defenders having 30s respawn times.

Civil War is more or less dying and asking -- okay, which bike do I take? Oh, okay I'll take the left one cause they need help. It's a dumbed down version of AB and is more like whack a mole.

Edited by ComeAndSee

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.