The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Prototype Enhancement

Raughten

I came up with some well thought out enhancements for prototype to bring them back up to par with the rest of the trees. All these changes would be mirrored to the respected mirror class, Vanguard.

=Updates=

<Ability Changes>

-Flame Thrower: Retains its cone, but works like Unload and automaticly locks on and follows your target.

<Passive Changes>

-Flame Barrage: Flame burst has a 15% chance and Retractable Blade has a 30% of making your next rocket punch free and drain 8 heat and reset the cool down of Immolate.

-Serrated Blades: Increases the damage dealt by Retractable Blade and its bleed effect by [5 / 10 / 15]% and gives a [10/20/30%] chance to cause 505 internal damage every time the affected foe uses an ability while under the effects of the bleed.

-Prototype Flame Thrower: Flame Burst and Flame Sweep have a [50 / 100]% chance to grant Prototype Flame Thrower, increasing the damage dealt by your next Flame Thrower by 10% and causes the main target to be immobilized for 1 second per stack. Stacks up to 5 times.

Edited by Raughten

That wouldn't really fix flamethrower. The problem it has is that it's far too easy to avoid before it fully channels. Even if it would follow the target, the target could easily back out of range if not before the first tic, then well before the second.

I really, really like your proposal for serrated blades. It would give retractable blade that certain oomph its missing without being overpowering.

To fix flamethrower/prototype flamethrower, either the bonus needs to also apply to immolate, or prototype flamethrower needs to reduce the channel time of flamethrower by 10% per proc, compressing the tics by the same amount. Keeping a target within the cone for 1.5 seconds is a far more managable prospect than 3 seconds.

HEGC also needs something, like a stacking proc that reduces healing on the target.

Edited by Shivus

-Flame Thrower: Retains its cone, but works like Unload and automaticly locks on and follows your target.

As a tank, I would hate this. I often position my flamethrower in between two or more mobs in order to hit as many as possible with it, this would be a nerf, not a buff.

I would not change much. Because by doing that you might just overpower a specc. I would rather take a few small steps and see how they affect the specc. Here is what i would do first.

Remove the skill "Kolto Vents" and replace it with a new one.

"On the Move":

Flamethrower can be used while moving if High Engergy Gas Cylinder is active.

Flamethrower has a 50% chance to vent 8.

Lets face it Kolto Vents is crap and making it something usefull would give the AP tree a nice buff.

The second ability could be anything but i think making Flamethrower mobile would give the AP a much needed buff for the Flamethrower. The specc is so mobile that having to stand still on one of the most iconic and strongest abilities is really counter productive.

Edited by Thyferra

flamethrower while running would be nice.

But very Dangerous.

I don't think that would work real well. Think about how off the ticks of damage are now.

My real beef with Flamethrower is that it is AOE, sometimes when CC is in play you don't want AOE. How about making an attack that shares a CD with flame thrower that is single target only or a talent that removes the cone element/AOE element and increases the damage.

Really would like to see the number of stacks reduced for Prototype Flame Thrower, but the damage per stack increased so that with 3 stacks, the damage would be the same. Also, perhaps change Prototype Flame Thrower to another name that could benefit Missile Blast. In this change, you'd have the option for aoe damage versus single target damage.

I find Immolate to be a bit too boring. It does the job, but it's just an upgraded Flame Blast w/ a cooldown and a cooler animation. Even Explosive Dart to Thermal Detonator has enough of a difference between them to be interesting.

Retractable Blade is fun to use, but due to the range and despite the heat cost, Incendiary Missile performs better (IMO). Some extra trauma (heal reduction) during the duration would be pretty cool. Maybe something similar to IA/Smugglers where Serrated Blades not only buffs the dot damage but also gives it a chance to tick twice.