How do juggs get away with useing Jaesa....

Whiteskull

With the exception of dying far less on my Sin, I agree - I have to rest a lot more on my Sin ironically enough :p

Really? I don't on mine, with both my Jug and Sin are tank spec'd. The Sin has more healing power in Chain Lighting and the stance proc, just better than the sonic barrier. And, of course, the Sin's DPS is better than the Jugs, so shorter fights, faster reduction of incoming damage.

That said, besides making sure your companion is geared that people have mentioned, the other huge help is a purple medkit (requires being biochem, of course). Then it ceases to be an emergency thing and you just use it as a downtime reducer.

Edited by Battilea

My Jaesa is now sitting in full columi/rakata gear so she is pretty much the only companion I use anymore. I find she does more damage than your average geared player.

Immortal juggs can get away with using dps because they take a great deal less damage than the other specs. They can use any companion and be fine but choosing something besides dps just makes it take longer.

The other specs need to use a tank or a healer to safely do a lot of pulls. Even in mostly rakata gear I find that some of pulls in the daily quests can leave me low without a healer. I tend to kill mobs before my dps companion gets to help out anyways.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to pull a week old thread, but I just hit 50 and am wondering who I should work on gearing up. I am rage/dps spec'd jugg, so common sense says i need to gear up Quinn. But I really would prefer not to for reasons that would include a spoiler.

So far, every jugg here that says they do amazing with jaesa are because they're tanks, naturally, but has any DPS spec'd jugg (veng or rage) managed to gear up jaesa and do well going DPS+DPS? If it somehow works I'm willing to give it a shot, otherwise I'll roll with Quinn, it's annoying but not that big a deal.

I'm on Hoth right now using Jaesa and I rarely ever have to rest, I usually finish fights at 90-95% health as Immortal.

Only time I even have to use a defensive CD is when I fight an elite, even then it's usually only Saber Ward because of all the CC the Jugg has :p

The other advantage to Jaesa over Vette is that you can get an end-game (columi, champion, etc.) weapon for Jaesa, but you can't for Quinn or Vette. Quinn and Vette both use blaster pistols, but on the empire side, only Mercs (BH base) use blaster pistols so they all have aim instead of cunning.

That said, for harder boss-type mobs that do AOE, Vette is the only DPS option you have, because Jaesa will quickly melt in the AOE. Usually with those fights, however, you're better off with Quinn's heals.

Overall I use Jaesa 95% of the time at level 50, only swapping in Quinn when I'm soloing the heroic 4 dailies on Belsavis.

I have to admit, I stuck with Jaesa cause I've had a crush on Rachel Leigh Cook for as long as I can recall.

With that said, when geared, she has over 16khp and does a metric crapton of damage. This works really well with Immortal Spec.

The slowness of fights with Quinn makes me use Jaesa. He puts out feeble, feeble damage. Any Jugg who thinks they "need" a healer all the time is dead wrong. I geared up Jaesa with mostly-oranges and never looked back.

Tank spec has many "I set 'em up, you knock 'em down" powers. Force charge/force choke/backhand/etc. are basically handing a DPS companion an opportunity to wail away on enemies. All the tank stuns work on elites, so having a DPS inflicting damage the whole time the elite is stunned is VERY helpful (whereas Quinn is basically useless if you're not taking damage.)

I've never needed a healer for anything yet. I'd originally intended to keep Quinn geared for the tough fights, but Jaesa works for everything. Since I'm on a populated server I can buy purple gear for both of us every few levels.

The bad part is you need to keep a spare shirt/pants/shoes around for him, else he stands on the bridge of your ship in boxers.

Quinn seems to like wearing nothing but boxers:

Near the end of your class storyline on correllia, there are multiple times when quinn pops up on holo in nothing but boxers. Sometimes pierce even joins him. I think they are having a bit of a "party" back on the ship :p

Forgot to mention I map "companion attack this target" to "Q" and use it a lot (especially on super-scary-elites.)

People who think they need a healer might not use this (somewhat counterintuitive) strategy.

A weakness of SP tank play is that the buck stops with your health, especially if you're drawing all the aggro. You probably wish you had an "untaunt" button in tough fights.

If you send Jaesa in on a mob: she draws aggro first. You can selectively taunt or group-taunt enemies off her when you jump in (immediately or sometime after her.)

If you send Jaesa at an elite: you can ALWAYS taunt the elite off her when she's at 40% health, and the only danger here is the elite might have some AoE attacks which can still kill her, but it's pretty rare.

Worst-case scenario this might slow you down as much as using Quinn, but it's kind of your choice whether to slow down a lot or a little.

The other advantage to Jaesa over Vette is that you can get an end-game (columi, champion, etc.) weapon for Jaesa, but you can't for Quinn or Vette. Quinn and Vette both use blaster pistols, but on the empire side, only Mercs (BH base) use blaster pistols so they all have aim instead of cunning.

That said, for harder boss-type mobs that do AOE, Vette is the only DPS option you have, because Jaesa will quickly melt in the AOE. Usually with those fights, however, you're better off with Quinn's heals.

Overall I use Jaesa 95% of the time at level 50, only swapping in Quinn when I'm soloing the heroic 4 dailies on Belsavis.

I'd love to see a vid of you doing Raxxus (Heroic 4, Old Enemies) solo. Or anyone doing it, for that matter.

Really.

Riôt

Edited by lordofdamornin

It seems to me that the bulk of the responses have been:

Immortal - Uses DPS companions. Vette/Jaena

Vengeance - Uses Quinn/Peirce (healer/tank)

Rage - Quinn mostly

As Vengeance myself, I initially used quinn. I prefer Vette in personality, but in all honesty, I felt like I was killing faster with Quinn to heal me. I would have to stop and heal after every fight, whether it was me or her (this is with decently update gear). Either she would pull aggro (and i'd let her) and her health would be low...or I would hold aggro to help her, and my health would be low. quinn's dps is low, but I can smoothly steamroll everything, leaping from fight to fight without hesitation.

I can probably be more tactical with vette or jaena (haven't equipped jaena past her starter gear really), having them start a fight, and have me taunt stuff off of them, but honestly, if i wanted a "companion pulls" class, i could roll a squishy like a sorc or another dps class. I rolled a jugg because I love how they can jump into a group of mobs and smash face. I can probably switch over to Immortal soon (probably will) and try out the dps companions, but right now I enjoy the playstyle, so quinn it is.

didn't realize we get pierce! (currently running the quests in Taris). ill try him out as vengeance as well. My guess is his DPS will be higher then Quinn's...and if he can hold aggro enough for me to peel and still maintain decent health levels, Im totally game.