The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

torhead vs wowhead

MouseNoFour

Except, when wowhead was released, they had boss loot tables day 1.

you do realize that when Wowhead came out, it had a benefit of extensive thottbot databases. and alakazam as well, I believe. like another person had - they just needed to consolidate the information.

when torhead came out - TOR was still in Beta.

if the information is missing - ADD it in comments. or if you don't feel like it, instead of complaining about torhead, how about you just stick to swtor spy since they have more information?

you do realize that when Wowhead came out, it had a benefit of extensive thottbot databases. and alakazam as well, I believe.

This.

In addition to that they had people running the WoWHead add-on before they officially launched.

So you were around when wowhead was released, but didn't know that it populated data via addon. Interesting.

Apparently they were also unaware of the fact that WoW had been out for a while by the time Wowhead made its first appearance.

Except, when wowhead was released, they had boss loot tables day 1.

Wow was released in 2004

The Wowhead database is the result of 6 months of hard work, and was released in June 2006

http://www.wowhead.com/aboutus

Tor was released Dec 20, 2011, Torhead was brought up around same time. The database is just over a month old. Most players have not played through the bosses to know every single thing it drops to even enter the information.

Oh have you contributed to the Torhead database?

Edited by Ranid

From what I can tell, the database sites don't seem to even be aware that there are two versions of each item icon: what Imperial players see and what Republic players see. They seem to generally use the Imperial version, making the visual component of the information useless from a Republic perspective.

To be clear, I'll provide an image example of what I'm talking about:

Picture of Republic and Imperial versions of the same gear.

The image above shows an Imperial and Republic version of "Ancient Seeker's Headgear", and an Imperial and Republic version of "[Prototype] Visionary Headgear". As you can see, despite being exactly the same item they look completely different depending on whether you're viewing them as an Imperial player or a Republic player.

Here is how they're displayed on Torhead:

http://www.torhead.com/item/79bS7NQ/ancient-seekers-headgear

http://www.torhead.com/item/eejaTfV/prototype-visionary-headgear

Here is how they're displayed on DarthHaterDB:

http://db.darthhater.com/items/36665/ancient_seekers_headgear/

http://db.darthhater.com/items/28190/%5Bprototype%5D_visionary_headgear/

So, if you're a Republic player attempting to search through those databases for a particular look, all you have to go by is the icons. And the icons being shown in the databases in these cases are Imperial icons, making the information useless (or, worse case, misleading) to a Republic player.

I feel that in the case of this particular problem it's the responsibility of the database (not the players) to provide an option to view these items from both an Imperial or Republic perspective. Left as is, they're just confusing.

Now, I say "responsibility" like it's the site owners purpose on this planet to show us accurate SWToR data. Clearly it's not. :p But, my point is, if you're going to go through the trouble of putting up a site, it makes sense for the information to be useful and accurate. Perhaps more importantly, the site that finally manages to straighten problems like the above out is going to be the one that is likely used the most, which (when coupled with advertisements and traffic) is just a smart business decision.

Edited by Apax

Because TOR doesn't have mod support, so loot tables and such have to be linked manually. In WoW, there are mods that can record what players loot when and where, which is then uploaded to a database site, parsed, and posted automatically.

This. There's no consistent data stream from users being uploaded.

You just have to be patient.

When wowhead was first released, it was 10 times better than what torhead currently is.

A) it wasn't.

B) Wowhead has had 7 years of datamining practice.

C) perhaps the infrastructure of SWTOR is different from WoW so its harder to pull some things? And without addons being in the game, addons are the majority of how a ton of wowhead data gets pulled as well as it can track drop rates over a vast number of players to give a more accurate drop %.

In some ways it is better. With TOR, every single quest, e-mail, NPC, item, dialog, message, tooltip, mapnote etc are stored in the client and therefore available to torhead. The only thing missing is linking it together by saying which npc drops which item. With WOW, most of these things were sent from the server and only cached clientside when you saw them.

I think they don't have people to maintain the service.

They do a lot of work on wowhead but since TOR is still in shaky position they don't want divert many resources to torhead until there are better ways to update the database.

Other services might be involved only in TOR and have more timre/resources to dedicate to improving their services and updating data.