bioware you made stupid move

billketch

nor is:

• Orly
  • UltraMarine
  • etc.

I think you might have to look at these 2 as Orly is a region in France near Paris, what you may see as leetspeech could honestly be used as first or last name.

As well as Ultramarine, why not outlaw the blue colors, heck, lets take out Jade, Sable, and Crimson as well.

Some of the names... well you do have a point there. Just understand that not everything may be viewed as a pejorative.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As well as Ultramarine, why not outlaw the blue colors, heck, lets take out Jade, Sable, and Crimson as well.

Some of the names... well you do have a point there. Just understand that not everything may be viewed as a pejorative.

Ultramarines - a military Order/Army/Unit from Warhammer 40K - Google it.

http://www.swtor.com/legalnotices/roc

Naming Policy

When creating a character or guild name for Star Wars: The Old Republic, it is encouraged that you select a name that reflects the theme of the game. The guidelines listed below outline the types of names that you can NOT use, and apply to both player or character names, as well as guild names.

You may not use any names that violate the General Rules. This includes the use of names that are hateful, defamatory, racist, ethnically offensive, obscene, vulgar, sexually explicit, or any other language that is offensive in nature.

You may not use names that are harassing or defamatory to other players or employees of EA, BioWare or LucasArts, e.g. EASUX, Timsretarded, and Biowaresux.

You may not use names of any EA, BioWare, or LucasArts employee or service related to Star Wars: The Old Republic.

You may not use names of copyrighted or trademarked characters, materials or products, e.g. Coca-Cola or Dr. Pepper.

You may not use names from popular culture or media, e.g. Lady Gaga or George Lucas.

You may not use names that are religiously or historically significant, e.g. Jesus, Winston Churchill.

You may not use proper names of areas within Star Wars for character names. Guild names, however, MAY use the proper names of specific areas to help promote role-playing and realm pride, e.g. Defenders of Tython or Protectors of Hutta.

You may not use proper names of non-player characters within Star Wars: The Old Republic, e.g. Darth Malgus, Satele Shan, Yoda, Darth Vader or Luke Skywalker.

You may not use names containing titles or ranks within them, e.g. General Supertrooper, Captain Tim, Darth Timmy, Knight Wakey.

You may not use names that refer to drugs or that are drug related.

You may not use names that contain an inappropriate phrase, sentence or any fragment of a sentence or Leet speak, e.g. uberhaxer, xxspeederxx, lolface, rofl, Noobwhacker, TimmyF**k, kock, fuk.

You may not use misspellings or alternative spellings of names that violate any of the above rules, e.g. Hamsolo, Yooda, DorthVader.

You may not use gibberish names when creating character, e.g. ajsdu, rifndsw, qweszs.

If you violate any part of the above Naming Policy you will either be assigned a new name, or given the option of changing the name. In addition to this, your account could incur a penalty up to and including account closure.

LOL OMG this reads like a bad Monty Python skit.......so you can get banned for using or not using any name that is related or not related to any one thing or possibly many things in General or Specifically for a time of our choosing which we may or may not inforce depending if someone like the guy who started this post complains...........yeeeeeeah....lol

you should have blocked every non sw name that is not related to this mmo and be more strict.on it. And put moderators on the rp realms/servers as well i'm tired of seeing non rp names on this mmo. that is not related to the starwars universe etc.

Kinda agree in a way.

Its really silly to see names like these in RP server.

Kriky Mangoes

Ooomiiii Goosh

Doubleee Teef

etc... etc..

In a non-rp server, I would say anything goes.

Character names:

Marxis

Iron'knuckles

Full'moon (he is bald lol)

HackedTech (Cyborg Merc BH)

Shocka'zula (SI Sorc)

Keep your naming policies away from our Non-RP Servers. I'll admit some names go to far, and some are just really offensive, but people should have rights to name their character whatever they want. :p

that is correct i would rather have bioware to be strict on such things i hate seeing names like kirk etc. spider-man etc. those kinds of names have no relation to the mmo universe

Report the names you see that you consider egregious.

Every. Time.

If you're not actively telling BioWare when you see a name that violates the naming policy, then they will not know about it, and nothing will happen.

If you report the 'bad' names, then one of two things will happen:

1) The name will be reviewed, found to be in violation, and get reset to something more acceptable.

2) The name will be reviewed and found to be OK in Bioware's eyes.

Keep in mind, no one will tell you which of these things happened.

I have RP'ed for a long, long time. I am always there when the RP community needs me for support.

My Bounty Hunter is called Ban'ki-Moon. It's the coolest star wars name i've ever seen and i'll be damned if any of you naming nahtzees take it from!

*ahem* If it doesn't violate the naming policy, then there's no reason for it to be reported.

The OP is up in arms about "James Kirk" or "Spongebob" or any of a ton of other names that are trademarked by other franchises, considered offensive, or otherwise violate the naming policy.

My point is, instead of whinging on the forums, they should be reporting the names they see that don't fit the SW universe.

• 2 weeks later...
Really? Seeing someone named Spider-Man makes you angry? Or are you just upset that they got to it first? I see nothing wrong with it. Thats better than some of the randomly generated names the game can come up for you, that i wouldnt even begin to know how to pronounce.

Actually the fact that Bioware/EA makes me sign a EULA that states I cannot have a name like Spider-Man andyet see someone with that name is what aggrovates me. I have no issues with a EULA, but if you make me sign one, for god's sake enforce it.

As a role-player, I was elated to see a naming policy in the EULA. As a role-player that signs that EULA every time I play, I am upset to see that EA does not enforce said EULA.

Actually the fact that Bioware/EA makes me sign a EULA that states I cannot have a name like Spider-Man andyet see someone with that name is what aggrovates me. I have no issues with a EULA, but if you make me sign one, for god's sake enforce it.

As a role-player, I was elated to see a naming policy in the EULA. As a role-player that signs that EULA every time I play, I am upset to see that EA does not enforce said EULA.

It's really not worth worrying about. That type of player is almost always a flavor of the month player and they'll be gone as soon as the newest MMO or XBox game is out.

I actually kind of like the ultra stupid OOC names because it saves me the time I would have wasted finding out that person is an idiot.

It's really not to be taken seriously I don't think, I mean, cmon, they have a server named 'The Fatman'.....

If that's not a negative comment then you're telling me they're advocates of obesity?

The fatman is my favorite weapon in fallout 3!

Oh yes I also have to RP people from the brotherhood of steel just for the lolz :D

that is correct i would rather have bioware to be strict on such things i hate seeing names like kirk etc. spider-man etc. those kinds of names have no relation to the mmo universe

I'd rather they were strict on things like capitalization, grammar, spelling, and punctuation.