Companion stories... bugged?

Nahlis

Had an odd thing happen with Elara Dorne and my Trooper. After the 'kiss' there was nothing for a long time and then I got about 7 or 8 conversations in a row that pretty much encompassed the entire romance arc. I was a bit disappointed by it, would have much preferred them spread out more.

Does anyone know if this is a bug or if there is some mechanic that triggers them I'm just not understanding? Frequently my companions will get the little conversation bubble saying they want to talk, but if I board a personal speeder or a transport device of any kind when they reappear afterwards the conversation request is gone. Even if I then head straight to my ship they no longer want to talk.

This makes me think the companion conversations are bugged and I got the multiple conversations because I just happened to catch her with a conversation request before I boarded any transports and it backlogged all the ones I had missed. Because this continues to happen with my various alts I thought I'd ask here. If it is a mechanic, maybe I can do something to prevent it from happening on other characters. If it's a bug, guess I'll just have to report it and wait. Thanks all.

No it's not bugged, it's just kind of awkward in it's current iteration. What causes those conversations to trigger as available is a combination of both that companion's affection for you, PLUS where you are in your class' story.

So you built a lot of affection with Elara really fast - faster than Bioware thought the average person would. So while you met the affection requirement for the romance stuff, you fell short of the story requirement, ex. finishing Act II. So once you finished Act II, you get all of Elara's Act II convos at once, where as someone building affection slower would've had them piecemeal.

Personally I think they should just take affection out! It's not like they'll abandon you without high affection, and they could add in some other meter that determines how quickly they do crew tasks.

Frequently my companions will get the little conversation bubble saying they want to talk, but if I board a personal speeder or a transport device of any kind when they reappear afterwards the conversation request is gone. Even if I then head straight to my ship they no longer want to talk.

This *does* seem to be a frequent bug -- companions signalling that they want to talk, then offering nothing when in a cantina/ship. What seems harder to tell is if it's a UI bug (the bubble shouldn't be there) or a conversation system bug (you should be having a conversation but it's not happening).

This *does* seem to be a frequent bug -- companions signalling that they want to talk, then offering nothing when in a cantina/ship. What seems harder to tell is if it's a UI bug (the bubble shouldn't be there) or a conversation system bug (you should be having a conversation but it's not happening).

It might be caused by the fact that you hit an affection level where you could get an option but due to where you are in the class story you can't. Just a guess though.

It might be caused by the fact that you hit an affection level where you could get an option but due to where you are in the class story you can't. Just a guess though.

That crossed my mind, too -- sort of a weird artifact like, "Well, I *would* want to talk to you now, except you're not far enough in the story, so never mind." I suppose that would fall under a UI bug, since it's a false indicator/bad conditional check.

It's an odd duck, though; I've seen the indicator pop up and go away a minute (not a second, but a minute) later, and I've also seen it hang around for a while before disappearing (may be due to the transport issue mentioned by the OP). I've pretty much just started ignoring the darn thing, and now I'll just talk to my companion when they have a marker over their heads like any other questgiver. :|

Hmm... well thanks for the input folks. I don't think I raised affection with Dorne particularly fast. I did use her exclusively after she became available, but I never gave her many gifts. Still, makes as much sense as anything else I suppose.

Really do wish they'd fix the UI bug (if that's what it is) though. Irritates me and drives my wife absolutely crazy as she's all about the Companion storylines. lol Would also like to see them ditch Affection in general. Just set the conversations to occur at certain levels or places (i.e. automatically triggers when you board your ship after finishing the last Class quest on a given planet for instance). That would ensure they get spaced out more appropriately instead of all piled up at a certain point.

So... if anyone at BW is reading... take it under advisement! heh