SWTOR gaming laptop need advice PLEASE!!

Bodypull

So,

Here's what I am about to get - This is in a laptop the M18x (not a desktop.)

Intel® Core™ i7 2960XM Overclocked Turbo Boost to 4.0GHz (8MB Cache) [Add $975.00 or $30.00/month1]

Genuine Windows® 7 Ultimate, 64bit [Add $150.00 or $5.00/month1]

Alienware Recommended

16GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz (4DIMMS) [Add $400.00 or $12.00/month1]

Dual 2GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 580M – NVIDIA® SLI® Enabled [Add $600.00 or $18.00/month1]

512GB RAID 0 (2x 256GB) Solid State Drive SATA 3Gb/s [Add $800.00 or $24.00/month1]

Dell UltraSharp U2711 27-inch Monitor [$999.00 or $30.00/month1]

May ship after your Alienware M18x

Alienware M18x

Space Black Anodized Aluminum, Genuine Windows® 7 Ultimate, 64bit

Western Digital 2 TB USB 3.0 My Book External Hard Drive

Product Details

HD3 Gaming Chill Mat - Black

---

So,

My first concern is WILL THESE OVERHEAT? CAN I PLAY FOR 6-8 HOURS AT A TIME?

Obviously liquid cooling systems on desktops ect are preferred for gaming, I want the laptop to take to work / travel, but to replace my Desktop as well. I plan on using it with a desktop monitor (as a CPU.) and game with a regular keyboard / mouse / headset ect.

The specs rival most top end gaming rigs (desktops,) that said, cooling on desktops gets rough as is, how does a gaming laptop like this actually stay cool?

I got the cooling pad, but that was it, will this thing burn up after a few hours of gaming?

Also that monitor, is there something particularly special about it to justify 1k? the 24 inch was under 300 .. just curious.

Need advice, and especially from other with top end gaming laptops. (that do the same thing I am.)

Thanks in advance, this is about 5500 for the laptop and another 1500 for the accessories and monitor. But if overheating is an issue, perforce is an issue, I won't buy this ... but need the communities help :-)

Thanks in advance!

Will

Note - this isn't a boast post ... This is a I don't wanna waste 6 grand post :-)

I advise not to buy a laptop if you want to keep up with technology, Tradionally lap tops are small in size and reallly dont have enough room to upgrade..... lets say a video card. I would buy a nice desktop with extra slots and alot of room for upgrades. However if you want to get a laptop for writing letters surfing the net only I would go that way. I know some people on here play on laptops but I am seeing a ton of low fps complaints from laptop users. Edited by eldisper

I have a two year old gaming laptop that plays the game just fine on max settings (sans shadows). I got it from Newegg for 800 bucks. It barely gets hot to the touch with the addition of a cooling pad (mine has two fans), even after extended play.

I bought the laptop because I'm in college and move back-and-forth quite frequently. The portability is priceless to me. If you're stationary, I'd go for a desktop.

Edited by mrfoughtforever