Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

1 client 1 account ?

nescron

hello i was curious to know whether im able to download the digital client i have, twice onto 2 separate computers and still log in on my computer, and let my room mate play with his own account, in other words does my roomate need to buy a copy of the game or can he use mine with his own account ?

I would suspect he would have to pay for his own copy, I'm fairly sure WoW was the same way, but I could be mistaken.

He can use his account with your copy of the game.

Ah, so I am.

Edited by ApLJack

thanks for the quick reply guys, though im still going to wait for a few more replys since i want to be positive before i pay for my room mates subscription lol, and i dont want to ahve to buy him a separate copy to.

hmm responses still seem pretty mixed i suppose ill wait to see if anyone has confirmed tryed this exact method, and he doesnt have a registered client let alone account, but hell register an account and ill pay for his account, he wont have a client linked to his account, will it still let him log in ?

hmm responses still seem pretty mixed i suppose ill wait to see if anyone has confirmed tryed this exact method, and he doesnt have a registered client let alone account, but hell register an account and ill pay for his account, he wont have a client linked to his account, will it still let him log in ?

If this is true, and I'll be damned if I can remember the exact account registration process, then a game will have to be bought to activate the account.

In order to activate an account you need an account code. To get this code you need to purchase the game. Without the code no active account.

No way around this. He must at the very least purchase a digital copy and get a code emailed to him.

my son and I both use the exact same client: the client itself is not what matters.

a PAYED account is:

that is to say

You will need the activated game account> this will require purchasing it.

In this case I would say go digital copy because they will e-mail all the activation codes to plug into the accounts page. He will not have to download anything if they will be using your client.

if you are saying:

he has a swtor site account can he sign on and play? No, he will need his account activated to play.

Can he buy a simple prepayed month and play? as far as I know, no the prepayed codes do not count as activation codes.

Edited by MatronAdena

You have to buy the game to have an active account. Once you have an active account you can long in to your account on any client and install the game on as many pcs as you want. But to have an account and to log into your own account you need to have a registration key associated with your account. You dont type this key when you install the game you type it in when you create your account on the SWTOR account page.

You can download and play the game on any computer you wish using your account..

Your account has a game license on it that you got when you bought a copy of the game.. This is also your game registration key.. This is what determines what version of the game you have.. Be it the standard edition or all they up to the collectors edition..

His account must also have a game license on it (Registration Key) in order for him to play the game.. The client will not work without an activated account and a registered game.. Meaning a purchased copy of the game..

You can't just download the client, make an account, and add a time card to play.. You do have to actually purchase the game as well..

To see what games are registered to your account.. Go to your account page and select games.. This will show what games are on the account.. This will also show what version is registered.. Collectors Edition, Deluxe Digital, or Standard.. If no game is listed, then he will not be able to play.. :cool:

Edited by MajikMyst

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking, so I'll try and cover all the bases.

1) You want to install the game on a friends computer using your physical discs. He then has a seperate purchased account that he uses to play. This will work.

2) You want to install the game on a friends computer using your account to download the game. He will then purchase an account and play on his own. This will work.

3) You want to install the game on a friends computer. The two of you share an account. This will work, but is a violation of the TOS, and could get your account disabled.

4) You want to install the game on a friends computer. He has no account. This will not work.

There is no actual link between the installed client and the account. As long as you have an active account, you can sign in on any computer that has SWTOR installed and play your same characters on your same servers.

hello i was curious to know whether im able to download the digital client i have, twice onto 2 separate computers and still log in on my computer, and let my room mate play with his own account, in other words does my roomate need to buy a copy of the game or can he use mine with his own account ?

i use a copy&paste&repaired folder from a friend computer with my account

he's using it on his pc with his account

There isn't an actual license key for installing the game, so I'd go with yes. They make the REAL money off of the monthly fees, so as long as he's playing on his own account, he should be fine. I have the game installed on my desktop AND laptop, so far no one's complained.

No you need an activation code from purchasing the game.

Don't guess, giving false information is helpful to no one!

There is no way around this.

No you need an activation code from purchasing the game.

Don't guess, giving false information is helpful to no one!

There is no way around this.

^qft. Sure you can isntall the game without the key. But your friend will NOT have his OWN Swtor Account WITHOUT his own Activation key. You get that from buying the game.

im at the conclusion that unless my room mate buys his own client or has a client code linked to his account that he will not have an active account and thus cannot play the game regardless of whos client. i just wish they would have at least sold a bulk client package.

IE: 2 digital client codes for 40$

Ehhh. Client YOu downloaded is just the same program we all downloaded or installed out of DVDs. It's not "Your copy" or as you say "registered client". Your friend probably can even copy it from Your hard drive.

To play though he need his own account here on swtor.com with his own activation key (the one that gives 30 days of "free" play) and subscription plan.

When he activate his product key he will be able to download a client from his account page.

• 1 month later...

I have purchased a physical copy of the game, it has been installed and activated using the product key included in the box, my other half has used the installation discs to install the game and now all she needs is a product key, we have looked everywhere we can think of and the option to buy the key code isnt there??? and when selecting the digital game download it detects that the game is present but gives no option to purchase a key.

any help in how you would be able to buy just the key code and not the entire game would be a help, in Wow the option to buy just the activation code is available is this not the case for SWTOR or do you have to go the long winded way of downloading the entire game to get the option of purchasing the code???

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.