I can't take the pointless travelling between planets...

ShonaChaos

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ever thought about restrictions. You think the planets government just let every nobody fly their space ship anywhere they want on the planet. Just like real life, i can't just go and fly my plane (if I had one) anywhere I want to.

Have you not seen star wars movies where they get a call on their com asking who they are and what not and checking them out before letting them pass. Then they send them to a place to land.

I'm a Sith. Screw the planet's governments.

EDIT: and btw: don't smugglers get to use their ships in combat?

Edited by starmanmmo

If the Orbital Stations/Hangers were each unique to a degree I could stand it, but frankly running through the same copy/pasted hallway and loading screen for who knows what time gets old very quickly. This is not good game design, it is a pointless timesink.

The BioWare Defence Force would justify a nest of aggressive wasps flying out of your computer and stinging you every time you played if they were a feature exclusive to TOR.

Edited by WhoDaresWins

I'm a Sith. Screw the planet's governments.

EDIT: and btw: don't smugglers get to use their ships in combat?

A fly-by is slightly different than a fly-land-bye. ;)

Right, here is something for all those to consider who praise the automated travel system (i.e. sitting 25 min in front of your screen - or making tea, watching TV, jerking off - waiting for your character to reach that new destination without actually having to do ANYTHING once the journey has started) and speak against a travel system that actually forces you to interact with the game (i.e. press a button, potentially keep a button pressed, move mouse or press another key):

For ANY travel on a planet in SWTOR other than QT, death respawn, or riding the taxi, you HAVE to sit and press a button, potentially keep a button pressed, move mouse or press another key.

Don't like it? Don't want it?

Well, then (sadly?) it's not just that SWTOR is the wrong game for you, you may actually be playing the wrong type of game overall... :eek:

Edited by Goreson

Using the shuttle to the fleet isn't a bad suggestion, but it still only fixes half the issue because you will have to go through all the areas on the way to your destination.

Still it is better to run through the fleet than through the station/orbital/hangar on your way out.

It would be nice to have a filter on the map that shows you the exact location of the fleet shuttle. Depending on proximity it might not show on the map.

Yeah.

Actually that shuttle option makes it all the more daft that they don't have speeder straight to your ship option.

That and marking the shuttle on maps (and moving the fleet pass off the security key vendor) would go a long way to making SWTOR travel much better.

• 2 weeks later...

I absolutely despise all the hoops one must jump through for planetary travel.

In my opinion, there should be a max of 3 loading screens.

• Space Station > Ship
  • Ship > Planet
  • Planet > Space Station

I feel that all of these unnecessary loading screens are affecting the feel of a "live" world. I rarely see players in the space ports because we're all stuck in loading screens at various points.

Other than the space station, the world feels empty (and I play on a high-pop server) until you start running heroic missions.

Edited by G-Seven

I have to agree that this three ring circus of gates between your ship and the planet are annoying. It might not be as bad if each gate wasn't a lengthy loading experience.

I have this game installed on an SSD in my gaming rig and load times, especially for Belsavis, are horrendous!

It would be nice to have the player ship actually land on the planet, but at least cut the loading delays once the player ship gets to the airlock of the orbital station. It seems like we get a full planet load at that point anyway, so what's the deal with these delays at each gate?

Was playing with someone the other day and he told me he kept a book close by for the travel time sink...

That being said the intermediary travel steps and associated loading screens and needed mouse clicks are indeed annoying.

Don't worry folks... GW2 has instant travel between places you've been. Their goal is to make the game fun... not a timesink!

You do realize that without a timesink, you finish content a lot faster and get bored faster? Common sense is not so common.

-Speeders can now be used in the hangar/outside the hangar

-Removed several "pointless" orbital stations

-New option: Toggle starship droid speech

New ability: "Starship pickup"

-10min cooldown

-Only usable outside

-Teleports you to your ship

Fix'd?

- Removed the elevators to the hangars

- The ships now either directly stands in the open or are accessible through green force fields

- New option: electrocute ship droid (makes it bleed oil if abused)

- Taxi routes have been added next to all space ships

- Taxi pickup will teleport your whole group to your space ship

- Fuel cost is now way more expansive than taxi fees

- All lifts with only one destination do not prompt anymore a destination choice

Edited by Deewe