I can't take the pointless travelling between planets...

ShonaChaos

I like it the way it is now. It brings a sence of realism.. you have to plan your trips.

I'm from the day when in EQ you had to take a boat to get to different continents (or pay a druid/wizard to port you). So it took up to 20 minutes or longer to get where you wanted to go. When Planes of Power introduced instant travel through the knowledge books and seemed to take away the whole community/realism of it all.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not understand why people complain about using a spaceship and the time it takes between planets. Most games of this have time sinks in the way of travel and generally SWTOR's is faster.

The Zepellins and boats in WOW were way slower for instance.

^^This. A thousand times this. But the reality is the self-indulgent whiners simply do not want to face facts and verifiable evidence.

It's just much easier for them to complain rather than bring constructive criticism to the table.

Goal: Get to Republic Fleet.

Steps:

1. Find Shuttle

2. Chose Orbital Station

3. Wait for the loading screen to complete

4. Run through Orbital Station (1~ minute of running)

5. Click Elevator, Chose Airlock

6. Wait for scenery change (10 seconds)

7. Run to Class Airlock Room (1~ minute of running)

8. Enter Space Ship

9. Wait for loading (20~ seconds)

10. Run up to the Galaxy Map inside your ship. (5-10 seconds)

11. Click Fleet

12. Wait for scenery change

13. Run down to ship exit, click door.

14. Wait for loading screen (1-2 minutes depending on performance)

15. Arrive at Fleet

16. Do your business.

16 Steps? Really necessary? This whole process takes like 10-15 minutes or even more, depending whether or not you're close to a shuttle, assuming you even know where the closest one is.

Get your **** together. We don't like _pointless_ traveling like this. Your game is NOT FUN.

Lol. Guess you never flew from Teldrassil to Un'goro crater in WoW. That was LITERALLY a 25 minute flight. I got up, watched a TV show, then I was in the place i wanted to go.

However in SWTOR you wouldn't be able to do that, you'd have to sit at your PC for the entire journey negotiating Loading Screens.

So whilst the maximum journey time in SWTOR is shorter, equally this is more than negated by not being able to do it AFK and indeed literally having to sit their and start at loading screens before running a bit to another loading screen.

This is just bad game design.

there is no difference in traveling to a planet or traveling to another zone in wow or any mmo for that fact......you will have to travel in mmos get over it

Er... yes there is.

In most MMOs there's a much bigger landmass between zoning.

And in most MMOs there's not 4-8 loading screens (interspersed by running) to get you through a central travel nexus.

Edited by Goretzu

there is no difference in traveling to a planet or traveling to another zone in wow or any mmo for that fact......you will have to travel in mmos get over it

I have no problem with it! I just would prefer that they do the loading in the background.

if travelling would mean to travel with my character or at least watch his ship fly to and fro - but the majority of the travel time is spent watching loading bars.

^^This. A thousand times this. But the reality is the self-indulgent whiners simply do not want to face facts and verifiable evidence.

It's just much easier for them to complain rather than bring constructive criticism to the table.

Maybe try reading the points that have been made that explain this very clearly and logically before typing next time.

Condescending ignorant people who make assumptions without knowledge annoy me more than whiners.

People have brought constructive criticism to the table and useful input unlike your post.

Edited by Saurakk

I have no problem with it! I just would prefer that they do the loading in the background.

if travelling would mean to travel with my character or at least watch his ship fly to and fro - but the majority of the travel time is spent watching loading bars.

That would be the idea solution, probably not possible with the story issues maybe.

But at least they could give us more ways around the problem if they can't remove it entirely.

Goal: Get to Republic Fleet.

Steps:

1. Find Shuttle

2. Chose Orbital Station

3. Wait for the loading screen to complete

4. Run through Orbital Station (1~ minute of running)

5. Click Elevator, Chose Airlock

6. Wait for scenery change (10 seconds)

7. Run to Class Airlock Room (1~ minute of running)

8. Enter Space Ship

9. Wait for loading (20~ seconds)

10. Run up to the Galaxy Map inside your ship. (5-10 seconds)

11. Click Fleet

12. Wait for scenery change

13. Run down to ship exit, click door.

14. Wait for loading screen (1-2 minutes depending on performance)

15. Arrive at Fleet

16. Do your business.

16 Steps? Really necessary? This whole process takes like 10-15 minutes or even more, depending whether or not you're close to a shuttle, assuming you even know where the closest one is.

Get your **** together. We don't like _pointless_ traveling like this. Your game is NOT FUN.

ORRRRR...

1. Find Fleet Shuttle which is ON EVERY PLANET NEAR BOTH A QUICK TRAVEL & TAXI!!!
  2. Click NPC
  3. Select Fleet
  4. Wait for load screen
  5. TA DA YOU'RE AT FLEET!!!

What's the problem?

Also how come my list is shorter? MUCH shorter.

However in SWTOR you wouldn't be able to do that, you'd have to sit at your PC for the entire journey negotiating Loading Screens.

So whilst the maximum journey time in SWTOR is shorter, equally this is more than negated by not being able to do it AFK and indeed literally having to sit their and start at loading screens before running a bit to another loading screen.

This is just bad game design.

Well this one doesn't take 25mins. It takes 5mins. So no need to go watch TV. Also if you have long load screens you can go get something to drink. Water is good for you.

Edited by DarthKhaos

Well this one doesn't take 25mins. It takes 5mins. So no need to go watch TV. Also if you have long load screens you can go get something to drink. Water is good for you.

But you can't because you don't actually get anywhere, you get from 1 side of a loading screen to another, an in game journey of no real distance at all.

But you can't because you don't actually get anywhere, you get from 1 side of a loading screen to another, an in game journey of no real distance at all.

Now you're just trolling. you're complaining that you can't go get a drink during the "long ***** load screen" because your character don't go anywhere during the load screen?

That would be nice but I really dont mind the getting around in this game. I like traveling in my ship. Plus it gives me a chance to equip, and interact with my companions. I can understand those who dont like it and it would be nice option in game for the times you wanna group up with friends. For those who enjoy traveling on the ship you still can. MMO's are all about playing your game how you like ...if you dont like it dont play that way. Edited by Philastra

The biggest problem with traveling, other than the stupid number of places you have to zone to to get from point A to point B, is that YOU HAVE A DAMN SHIP.

Why are you given a ship if you can't use it? If you're in the middle of a field, ask your droid to pilot the damn thing and pick you up.

Orbital stations are just...so...POINTLESS.

If you can have a taxi system drop you off, you can land your own damn ship, even if it just drops you off somewhere.

This whole travel system is illogical.

Now you're just trolling. you're complaining that you can't go get a drink during the "long ***** load screen" because your character don't go anywhere during the load screen?

But that's the thing with most other systems, you can do just that.

It's not just the time, but the way that time works, that is the problem.

Waiting a couple of hours for your car to be serviced isn't a problem if you can go and do something else.

It is if the garage insists you sit in the car and look at a poster the pin to the outside of the windscreen for the entire time.

Because, ladies and gentlemen, a game where you an just afk out and do other things is a game that is well designed! ;)

The biggest problem with traveling, other than the stupid number of places you have to zone to to get from point A to point B, is that YOU HAVE A DAMN SHIP.

Why are you given a ship if you can't use it? If you're in the middle of a field, ask your droid to pilot the damn thing and pick you up.

Orbital stations are just...so...POINTLESS.

If you can have a taxi system drop you off, you can land your own damn ship, even if it just drops you off somewhere.

This whole travel system is illogical.

Ever thought about restrictions. You think the planets government just let every nobody fly their space ship anywhere they want on the planet. Just like real life, i can't just go and fly my plane (if I had one) anywhere I want to.

Have you not seen star wars movies where they get a call on their com asking who they are and what not and checking them out before letting them pass. Then they send them to a place to land.

Waiting a couple of hours for your car to be serviced isn't a problem if you can go and do something else.

It is if the garage insists you sit in the car and look at a poster the pin to the outside of the windscreen for the entire time.

Know what I do when I want to go afk? I go afk. I don't have to wait for a long taxi ride or my transit from planet to planet. I Just Go AFK.

If you got a long load screen you can

A. Sit and look at it. (It's a nice load screen BTW)

B. Stretch your legs.

My point is going to fleet from anywhere you don't even have to go through the completely blown up 16 steps the OP stated. I listed it in 5. And you get there in no time flat.

Because, ladies and gentlemen, a game where you an just afk out and do other things is a game that is well designed! ;)

Maybe or maybe not......... however it IS still better designed than having to sit and watch loading screen after loading screen to get anywhere. :)

Or do you often watch your kettle boil or your paint dry and think "ooo this is fun, I couldn't possibly be spending my free time any better than this!"? Probably not I'd guess. :D

Know what I do when I want to go afk? I go afk. I don't have to wait for a long taxi ride or my transit from planet to planet. I Just Go AFK.

If you got a long load screen you can

A. Sit and look at it. (It's a nice load screen BTW)

B. Stretch your legs.

My point is going to fleet from anywhere you don't even have to go through the completely blown up 16 steps the OP stated. I listed it in 5. And you get there in no time flat.

But that's what I'm saying you cannot compare a travel system where you CAN go AFK with one where you HAVE to be at the keyboard watching the loading screen.

It's apples and oranges.

Plus the very act of HAVING to watch it make it worse. A watched kettle never boils, watch paint dry, human language is full of examples to describe this exact phenomena.

Pretty sure Bioware wasn't going for the "watching paint dry" vibe when designing their travel nexus. :D

Using the shuttle to the fleet isn't a bad suggestion, but it still only fixes half the issue because you will have to go through all the areas on the way to your destination.

Still it is better to run through the fleet than through the station/orbital/hangar on your way out.

It would be nice to have a filter on the map that shows you the exact location of the fleet shuttle. Depending on proximity it might not show on the map.