Official: Over 1.7 million active subs, 2 + mil sold

Improv-

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It isn't a word. So you are laughing at nothing since you made that word up.

I thought so, maybe if I added an extra L at the end of the word? Delusionallity?

Or maybe after the first L? Dellusionalty?

Do those work?

As I said to my clannies, personally for me, the #s are better than expected. I was expecting 1-1.5 mil subs from the conversations that I've had with my MMO playing friends. So seeing the 1.7 million number was significantly higher than I expected.

However, the numbers that will be really telling for me are the march and april #s.

That being said, the massive drop that the haters were predicting on the forums does not seem to have happened. And I'm glad. I want this game to succed, and be around and viable for a long time.

First... the [****] does EA and its drones recreate a thread that compliments their number but closes the ones that point out their financial drops.... EA suits need to pay more attention us and less to themselves... guess what? A-B is better...

Second... really... 2 million copies sold... but only 1.7 million active subscribers...... am I the only one that realizes this a 15% drop off in the first month of paid subs?

I love this game... I still pay to play it... but fanboys need to estfu.

Yup, you got us. You're the only person on the entire forum that realizes 1.7 out out 2 million is a 15% drop...

Seriously what part of 85% retention rate on launch is amazing do people not get...And we're not even saying that automagically means this game will keep growing and get more people than every other MMO combined. All we're saying is for a MMO launch 85% is a fantastic number.

25 years owning/running a Goodyear tire and auto service store.

You're mixing apples and oranges here. You own a store, the majority of what your store sells is a niche item that is only available at a handful of places. People need tires they come to you, some shop for prices some don't. Either way once they walk into your store its rather likely they are going to buy tires from you, sense the only reason they would be there in the first place is if they need tires. The other benefit to a tire shop, is any given day someone needs tires, its inevitable, so on any given day you have potential customers that will walk into your store and hand you money, and unless you completely fubar the job, or have incompetent employees, will probably come back in the future just out of habit.

An MMO is completely different. When an MMO launches they immediately assume at least 30% of the people who buy the game will not continue a subscription past the free month, so 15% is a phenomenal number. You are looking at it in the wrong direction, this is not retail, not even services, it's in its own category.

They did not lose 300k subs, they gained 1.7 Million, they had 0 at launch they have 1.7 Million now. I am also willing to bet they did not anticipate this many subs, probably projection about half that given the trend of recent MMOs that have launched.

So in short, for a game that officially launched December 20th, the initial free months running out between January 20 - 31st, gaining 1.7 Million subscriptions is an amazing feat. Think of it as they lose absolutely nothing for someone who never bills there account, the 300k are people who never subscribed, they used there free month and bailed.

Now WoW falling from 12 Million subs to 10.2 Million is a huge hit for them, and its probably lower now, there sitting on there numbers at the moment because they are falling. But again, they are actually losing customers, BW has only gained, they had nothing to lose until about a week and a half ago.

Yup, you got us. You're the only person on the entire forum that realizes 1.7 out out 2 million is a 15% drop...

Seriously what part of 85% retention rate on launch is amazing do people not get...And we're not even saying that automagically means this game will keep growing and get more people than every other MMO combined. All we're saying is for a MMO launch 85% is a fantastic number.

85% would be great for an Indy game that releases with 15-25k subs. It's not great for the most Hyped/Advertised/Expensive game in mmo history.

85% would be great for an Indy game that releases with 15-25k subs. It's not great for the most Hyped/Advertised/Expensive game in mmo history.

Aww, we're back to being serious.

Anyways, I think 85 is great just because it was hyped/advertised so much. Having as many people who don't like or have never played an MMO before see the adverts for this game and think "I love Star Wars, let's see if this game is any good" I think that fact that 85% stayed for at least a month is astounding. Not to mention the fact that as bad as MMOs have been doing lately, the projected rate was probably at least 10% lower than what they got.

On that note, what do you think would be a "great" number? Keep in mind that if you say anything over 95, my response will be "that's never gonna happen".

I cant say that I've noticed any adds for SWTOR anywhere. Mind you, I dont watch tv...

And again I disagree with you entirely. 1.7 million subs and rising (Which is what was said) is entirely respectable, and significantly better than many of the naysayers and doom-cryers on the forums have been saying.

Gen Discussion Forums = vocal minority. Only reason I post is I'm stuck at work. Otherwise, I'd be playing, not posting.

I cant say that I've noticed any adds for SWTOR anywhere. Mind you, I dont watch tv...

And again I disagree with you entirely. 1.7 million subs and rising (Which is what was said) is entirely respectable, and significantly better than many of the naysayers and doom-cryers on the forums have been saying.

Gen Discussion Forums = vocal minority. Only reason I post is I'm stuck at work. Otherwise, I'd be playing, not posting.

NO, it's 2 million subs and lowering.