Official: Over 1.7 million active subs, 2 + mil sold

Improv-

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Greetings folks!

The previous version of this thread has exceeded our post threshold and we have recreated it for continued discussion.

As a gentle reminder to everyone, please remember the following:

• Insults - Please do not resort to or use them in any way in your posts. Posts should be productive, not destructive.
  • Trolling - Please do not post messages that are purposefully designed to provoke, antagonize, or otherwise elicit a negative emotional response.
  • Agree to Disagree - Be respectful of others' viewpoints even if they are opposite of your own. Discuss disagreements constructively.
  • Flag, Don't Fight - Utilize the Flag Post feature to report possible rules violations, rather than responding to or fighting them.
  • Ignoring - If you feel you simply cannot get along with another community member, please place them on your ignore list.

Thank you!

To quote Vannie: Oh I agree there's lots of times you'll feel like "omg is there anyone out there?" But mostly that's due to the size of some of the planets. I mean the first few (starter-Nar Shaddaa for republic) are relatively small. BUt once you get to Tatooine and Alderaan? Holy god it's insane how huge they are and how it can make you feel like you're alone.

However, this is the 2nd half of the problem. Leveling from 1-50 on a server that had a queue and was Very healthy (still is by most accounts). I ran into a Total, of 15 republic players. Republic health on Jung Ma isn't that bad. It's like the game keeps us apart like the Berlin Wall is in place.

I'm going to use this example because there is Nothing wrong with it. In WoW at launch, I ran into enemies, and friendlies a Lot. This was back when the game didn't have as many subs as SWTOR does now, by a long shot. There would be pvp battles all Over the place, it was intense, and a lot of fun. That simply fails to exist in any shape in SWTOR.

Onto the issue of planets being big. They actually aren't. You bypass most of it via speeders, and if it's not directly where you're ALL going to quest, there's nothing but terrain and fatigue. Alderaan was where I ran into the Most enemy players (Including their base nyuk nyuk.). However, since then it's just been very lonely. I don't like that in an MMO..It feels wrong.

I'm a BIG fan of this game, but even I don't believe in the 1.7mil active subscribers out of 2mil , UNLESS that number was taken before the free month was over, otherwise, that nearly a 100% retention rate (because not everyone who gets the game actually installs, plays and subscribes), which is definantely never going to happen with any MMO. Edited by iResist

I think it's a pretty good given that this game is now a massive success. The people who disagree can not argue with logic and facts. The data speaks more volumes then anyone sitting at home in their arm chair can disagree.

I for one, saw this coming. Over a million people are in game right now. It took RIFT months to gain a million and SWTOR went over one million in the first two months of it's release. Of course we will always have the fanboi's from the other games to come and discourage us, heck I'm sure they even pay some people to post messages discourage people.

Do you know why? they see SWTOR as a threat to their sub's. However our resolve has never been stronger. With this new data it's like a shield against the flame attackes that the trolls set to unleash upon us and soon we will have our sword to fight back against the gross injustice this game has been getting.

Remember this day people. Remember where you were when you heard SWTOR hit over a million and soon it will be 2 million and then we can slay the Warcraft and ...once more Star Wars will rule the MMO world..and then we shall have peace.

I'm a BIG fan of this game, but even I don't believe in the 1.7mil active subscribers out of 2mil , UNLESS that number was taken before the free month was over, otherwise, that nearly a 100% retention rate (because not everyone who gets the game actually installs, plays and subscribes), which is definantely never going to happen with any MMO.

That number is a snapshot, as of the date of the press release. Unless they are violating US securities laws, that number is correct.

I think it's a pretty good given that this game is now a massive success. The people who disagree can not argue with logic and facts. The data speaks more volumes then anyone sitting at home in their arm chair can disagree.

I for one, saw this coming. Over a million people are in game right now. It took RIFT months to gain a million and SWTOR went over one million in the first two months of it's release. Of course we will always have the fanboi's from the other games to come and discourage us, heck I'm sure they even pay some people to post messages discourage people.

Do you know why? they see SWTOR as a threat to their sub's. However our resolve has never been stronger. With this new data it's like a shield against the flame attackes that the trolls set to unleash upon us and soon we will have our sword to fight back against the gross injustice this game has been getting.

Remember this day people. Remember where you were when you heard SWTOR hit over a million and soon it will be 2 million and then we can slay the Warcraft and ...once more Star Wars will rule the MMO world..and then we shall have peace.

Why would anyone with logic disagree? The numbers are there for now but may change, only time will be able to give you this information. I don't think your goal, or anyone's goal should be "slay the Warcraft." Rather than "Advanced past what we've been stagnating in for seven years without much improvement." I don't understand why people are so obsessed with killing something that can't actually be killed, and will continue to do well and make money.

The game hasn't been getting "gross injustice." People just voice their dissatisfaction in ridiculous and childish ways. Kind of like how people post their joy in ridiculous and childish ways. It's much simpler just to nod your approval, and continue on with whatever it is you intend to be doing.

While I appreciate you using the Emperor's quote like that, I think it's a bit of a disservice to the power of that line to use it in such a silly way, especially when you're referring to people hearing the game has great number of subs like it's some kind of weapon to be wielded against foe's that in themselves are so ridiculous they're self defeating.

Yikes. :(

Oh i want the game i like to be the best so i believe anything and will post anything to prove it !

What they posted are for end of year data, representing the time when everyone and their mother was activating codes to get EGA in this game.

I remember vividly (wasnt that long ago :) ) when at release people were crying that its not fair i get 1 day less of EGA and even lots that actually bought the game from other countries and paid dearly to get it so that they play on Early Access.

I was one of them so i know from my experience that its very possible many more like me have canceled their subs after the fiasco of the first month. I did NOT cancel before the first paid so even current data arent accurate.

This is to exempt people that are giving the first 3 months for the game cause they already paid it, or people that say "give it 6 months to be ok" , or fanboys, or very casuals that never played another MMO and dont know what is the problem (they will learn after they play a true AAA MMO ).

As said above, I was a fan. I wanted this game to be the one that help keep my interest for the next 7 years as WOW did before i left it for RIFT with hope for the same.

Its sad, but at least i can be honest with myself and say, this game isnt good enough as Rift wasnt good enough either FOR ME .

Now

SWTOR FANS..........GET READY

.......SET

........GO FLAME!

:D

Edited by Caldurjyoh

...And then Bioware will start releasing sub-par content because "oh well who cares, we dont have any real competition anyway". And the players will start complaining that the first expansion was the best and everything went downhill from there. And then Bioware will start releasing rare pets and mounts you can buy from a cash shop...

And then every mmo player will start searching like mad for the next big MMO that will be the ultimate SWTOR-killer. Thousands of players will leave and play other games, but will always return back to SWTOR, leaving these games ruined...

Hmm... i see a pattern here :rolleyes:

Oh i want the game i like to be the best so i believe anything and will post anything to prove it !

What they posted are for end of year data, representing the time when everyone and their mother was activating codes to get EGA in this game.

I remember vividly (wasnt that long ago :) ) when at release people were crying that its not fair i get 1 day less of EGA and even lots that actually bought the game from other countries and paid dearly to get it so that they play on Early Access.

I was one of them so i know from my experience that its very possible many more like me have canceled their subs after the fiasco of the first month. I did NOT cancel before the first paid so even current data arent accurate.

This is to exempt people that are giving the first 3 months for the game cause they already paid it, or people taht say "give it 6 months to be ok" , or fanboys, or very casuals that never played anoter MMO and dont know what is the problem (they will learn after they play a true AAA MMO ).

As said above, I was a fan. I wanted this game to be the one that help my interest for the next 7 years as WOW did before i left it for RIFT with hope for the same.

Its sad, but at least i can be honest with myself and say, this game isnt good enough as Rift wasnt good enough either FOR ME .

Now

.......SET

........GO FLAME!

I'd rather they didn't flame and just respect your opinion on the subject as it pertains to you, and move on or comment politely. That, may not happen however.

This is to exempt people that are giving the first 3 months for the game cause they already paid it, or people taht say "give it 6 months to be ok" , or fanboys, or very casuals that never played anoter MMO and dont know what is the problem (they will learn after they play a true AAA MMO ).

As said above, I was a fan. I wanted this game to be the one that help my interest for the next 7 years as WOW did before i left it for RIFT with hope for the same.

Now

.......SET

........GO FLAME!

--Star Wars: The Old Republic Has More Than 1.7 Million Active Subscribers that's as of Feb 1st.

This was told to investors on an investor call. They cant legally lie about those numbers without the SEC and Nasdaq De-listing their stock and that wouldn't please investors would it?

No amount of hate you harbor for this game will change the fact that it sold 2 million copies and of those they have 1.7 million active subs as of Feb 1st.

Why would anyone with logic disagree? The numbers are there for now but may change, only time will be able to give you this information. I don't think your goal, or anyone's goal should be "slay the Warcraft." Rather than "Advanced past what we've been stagnating in for seven years without much improvement." I don't understand why people are so obsessed with killing something that can't actually be killed, and will continue to do well and make money.

The game hasn't been getting "gross injustice." People just voice their dissatisfaction in ridiculous and childish ways. Kind of like how people post their joy in ridiculous and childish ways. It's much simpler just to nod your approval, and continue on with whatever it is you intend to be doing.

While I appreciate you using the Emperor's quote like that, I think it's a bit of a disservice to the power of that line to use it in such a silly way, especially when you're referring to people hearing the game has great number of subs like it's some kind of weapon to be wielded against foe's that in themselves are so ridiculous they're self defeating.

Yikes. :(

The number's may change. What does that have to do with anything, you are right they may change. They will go UP. You are starting to sound like a separatist feeding your poison to discourage others. I dismiss the rest of what you say as nonense because I am not selfish this is not about me.

This about the rise of SWTOR. Do you not know of the pattern? Everquest fell to Warcraft. Now Warcraft shall fall to SWTOR. Every 7 year's the rise of superior MMO and the audience along with that follows. Over a million sub's and soon Bioware will have the resources from EA to deliver us UNLIMITED potential.

Why you may ask. Because this is the superior mmo in every sense of the word. From the combat, to the moral interaction's. Surely you are not suggesting that warcraft will rise from their 2 million slump. They will continue their downfall and their failure will be Bioware's great success.

However you may continue to spin it however you want. The facts do not lie. The facts do not spin. And the fact's say over a million sub's close to 2 million are playing this game. That blow's away records and the backlash is so strong it shut's down all the trolls. To deny that SWTOR will not be superior is to live in denial.

Edited by DragonAgeOrgins

I'd rather they didn't flame and just respect your opinion on the subject as it pertains to you, and move on or comment politely. That, may not happen however.

Perhaps if, when people posted their opinions they did so as simply that. When they add in terms like "fanboy" in a derogatory fashion, or little lines like "if they had played a true AAA MMO they would know" then they wouldn't get flamed. Take me for instance, I've played MMO's for over 15 years now and I love SW:TOR. If someone doesn't like it, that's fine, it's the rest of the garbage they feel the need to add in that isn't.

The number's may change. What does that have to do with anything, you are right they may change. They will go UP. You are starting to sound like a separatist feeding your poison to discourage others. I dismiss the rest of what you say as nonense because I am not selfish this is not about me.

This about the rise of SWTOR. Do you not know of the pattern? Everquest fell to Warcraft. Now Warcraft shall fall to SWTOR. Every 7 year's the rise of superior MMO and the audience along with that follows. Over a million sub's and soon Bioware will have the resources from EA to deliver us UNLIMITED potential.

Why you may ask. Because this is the superior mmo in every sense of the word. From the combat, to the moral interaction's. Surely you are not suggesting that warcraft will rise from their 2 million slump. They will continue their downfall and their failure will be Bioware's great success.

However you may continue to spin it however you want. The facts do not lie. The facts do not spin. And the fact's say over a million sub's close to 2 million are playing this game. That blow's away records and the backlash is so strong it shut's down all the trolls. To deny that SWTOR will not be superior is to live in denial.

Dude... getting a little carried away here don't you think? Who really cares if it topples wow or not? YOUR not making billions off of it. You will get the same content they will give you if its 1 million or 10 million subs. And you'll have the same amount of people on your server if its 1 million or 10 million.

Oh I get it. Hold on, I found your club with +5 Silly under the bridge. I'll mail it back to you.

I can't help but respond to one part though. SWTOR is very popular, it's different than what's available, and that will grant it a great deal of leeway in terms of retention. However, peoples complaints are not baseless. I get that you're a troll (probably), but maybe people who read my reply can get Something out of it.

I don't think Warcraft will pull out of it's two million slump, but the population will even out, and most likely stay well above SWTOR's sub count for a very long time. Trends point to positive growth, but it's wiser to tread the path of caution over flinging one self head long into something, usually.

I'm not spinning anything, time will tell how the game does Subwise, up or down. I would prefer games not fail at all, and prosper to grant their respective player base the enjoyment they want. Any sane person would hope for this, it's just what's right.

I can't do anything about you wielding opinion as fact, that's your problem and not mine however. So, if you believe that this game is better than every game, it's your opinion and true for you, but it may not be true for me, or others. Respect teaches us to value others opinions, and not discredit them because they don't agree with ours.

Never except Twice (i remember that cause it was a unique case the first ... and this is the second time) anyone actually says something like this :)

I am happy to see that some do read past the first line and flame as most people that love SWTOR do in these forums. :D

Someone else also mentioned on these forums once, that its not the "haters" that destroy these forums, its the fanboys that whatever you say or any fact you give will be answered in a generic or aggressive tone to flame or shoot you down :):)

Main point of it all: "Haters" are like this cause they hoped this game would succeed and failed so hard. We dont hate SW, for Gods sake see the posts. We love SW and thats why we wanted the game to be a success and are upset it didnt work out. They should have waited and developed it complete before giving this broken toy to us to play with.

;)

Never except Twice (i remember that cause it was a unique case the first ... and this is the second time) anyone actually says something like this :)

I am happy to see that some do read past the first line and flame as most people that love SWTOR do in these forums. :D

Someone else also mentioned on these forums once, that its not the "haters" that destroy these forums, its the fanboys that whatever you say or any fact you give will be answered in a generic or aggressive tone to flame or shoot you down :):)

Main point of it all: "Haters" are like this cause they hoped this game would succeed and failed so hard. We dont hate SW, for Gods sake see the posts. We love SW and thats why we wanted the game to be a success and are upset it didnt work out. They should have waited and developed it complete before giving this broken toy to us to play with.

;)

Of course, it's all one sided. :rolleyes:

Hate to break it to you, but this game is a success. A 1.7 million subs and rising success. You don't like it, there's nothing wrong with that and perhaps you will find a game you do like.

Of course, it's all one sided. :rolleyes:

Hate to break it to you, but this game is a success. A 1.7 million subs and rising success. You don't like it, there's nothing wrong with that and perhaps you will find a game you do like.

This for now is exactly true. The game by the numbers is a fantastic success and that's wonderful. Now they have to keep it past the 2nd, the 3rd. Bioware will have to work hard, but I think they'll do just fine.

People who don't want to play, will go find something they do, and good for them, being happy is way better than being unhappy. My sub runs out in 16 days, and I'm fine with that.

I don't know about you guys, but I don't feel embarrassed at all to tell my friends that I play Star Wars: The Old Republic.

Star Wars is actually considered one of the "Cool" things that we all grew up with.

I WAS embarrassed to tell my friends that I played WoW, and I rarely did.

But now that I am playing SWTOR, I can tell my friends, and I am, and so far I have friends who are actually buying the game and playing it.

Including my wife lol, she hated games before this and ever since I got her hooked on Skyrim, she got bored of that eventually and now she is on SWTOR with me.

Match made in Heaven.

Anyway, I thought I would ask. It is much more socially acceptible to like Star Wars than it is to like WoW is it not?

Are a lot of you experiencing the same thing?

--Star Wars: The Old Republic Has More Than 1.7 Million Active Subscribers that's as of Feb 1st.

This was told to investors on an investor call. They cant legally lie about those numbers without the SEC and Nasdaq De-listing their stock and that wouldn't please investors would it?

No amount of hate you harbor for this game will change the fact that it sold 2 million copies and of those they have 1.7 million active subs as of Feb 1st.

i kindly direct you to re-read my post. I never said it does not have the number now.

However i said i believe this wont be the case for long.

Another point to this. Since they were very smart and opened the game later in AU and the Asia they will keep showing these numbers for at least 6 months. :D

What you need to notice from what i post is : The fact that EU and US servers will NOT go much higher than they are now. Numbers might rise, but thats cause the AU and Asian subs will be also indicated in the projected and actual numbers.

That by no means equals to players YOU will have to play around you. The game world is empty and this is the future of this game as well. :(

You must realize that they are playing the numbers in their favor. Every company does this. All they say is they have over 1.7mil active subs, active means they still have playtime, free or paid by gamecard or sub. This 1.7mil is probably very close to the exact number since they want this number to be as high as possible.

Then they say they have sold over 2mil copies. Here is where things get interesting. Saying 2mil and then showing 1.7mil active subs shows a very healthy subscription rate, even if it's just over a month since launch.

The thing is that estimated sales from vgachartz is saying that about 2mil copies are sold without accounting for digital sales. Other sources has also mentioned around 2mil copies sold. Then we have a number from EA saying about 40% of the copies are sold from digital downloads. No one has had access to the digital download numbers or even been able to estimate em. If I was to guess I would say it's likely that SWTOR has sold about 2.5mil copies total with digital incl. Suddenly the 1.7mil active subs means a very different retention rate.

Not saying this is how it is, I'm just saying that they will always play the numbers to their favor and the only number you can be sure of is the 1.7mil active subs. Which is a very good number, just dont assume it's 1.7mil/2mil cause they are playing the numbers, be sure of it.

Anyways, the game sure is a success so far. It has sold faster than any MMO game before and still has a very high number of active subs. I'm not writing this to bash on Bioware/EA, I just want you to understand that EA, as every other company, will write it to sound as positive as possible by leaving out details.

Edited by Mordrakgore

Be careful of counting your laurels to soon. Rift had "the best launch ever" when it came out and now its facing contraction in its user base. It is still early and the haters often times *DO* have valid complaints. There is no doubt that the game has had a successful launch and it will probably continue strong but its still early and there's still a chance they wont retain all of their current subs.