Guys Playing Female Characters...An Odd Question :)

Frostbird

> Also goes to girls playing male characters <

Did you follow the romance side of your companion quests?

Very curious. As a straight male player, while I have zero problems with relationships between any combination of genders IRL or ingame, there is something about playing a female toon and then romancing a male NPC that seems...icky to me. I could never do it.

Does this make me intolerant?

Very curious. As a straight male player, while I have zero problems with relationships between any combination of genders IRL or ingame, there is something about playing a female toon and then romancing a male NPC that seems...icky to me. I could never do it.

I was actually mildly interested in seeing the female romance options they have available. While I haven't actually looked into this at all, it does seem like something I would do for fun (Hell, I romanced Garrus in Mass Effect 2 as FemShep.)

I think it's moreso about seeing the story and character interactions. Or at least it is for me - I find it fun to see how the characters change their reaction to a female from the male perspective. xD

Oh Garrus, you were hilarious. Always savoring that last shot right before popping your thermal heat sink...

I was actually mildly interested in seeing the female romance options they have available. While I haven't actually looked into this at all, it does seem like something I would do for fun (Hell, I romanced Garrus in Mass Effect 2 as FemShep.)

I think it's moreso about seeing the story and character interactions. Or at least it is for me - I find it fun to see how the characters change their reaction to a female from the male perspective. xD

Oh Garrus, you were hilarious. Always savoring that last shot right before popping your thermal heat sink...

Yeah, oddly I predict that a lot of female players are going to be cool with romancing girls as a male character, while male players will be squicked out by romancing guys (well, unless they are into that). I would have *zero* issues romancing Vette as a female though... (goes to take a cold shower).

Again, I certainly don't consider myself a bigot. I just find the idea personally distasteful.

Yeah, oddly I predict that a lot of female players are going to be cool with romancing girls as a male character, while male players will be squicked out by romancing guys (well, unless they are into that). I would have *zero* issues romancing Vette as a female though... (goes to take a cold shower).

Again, I certainly don't consider myself a bigot. I just find the idea personally distasteful.

There's nothing wrong with it. It's an option available to everyone, and if you choose not to use it - more power to you. I personally am fascinated by the story, and I enjoy seeing it through the character's eyes (even if those eyes may be feminine.)

It doesn't make you a bigot. Just make sure not to push your preferences onto others, and there's nothing wrong with it. :p Though comments like 'Well, unless they're into that' is the only part that worries me a little. There's a number of reasons to play the game from the opposite gender, and it adds replayability.

Edited by sotaka

When I play an RPG I make a balance of male and female characters. I follow the romance arcs on both genders, whether they be "straight" romances or not. Doing so doesn't bother me simply because I'm playing a game; controlling a character. I don't associate what actions I choose for my character to be reflections of what I would choose were I actually in that situation. The thing I love most about video games (especially RPGs) is playing as somebody who isn't me. My life is boring; my character's life is full of excitement!

There's nothing wrong with it. It's an option available to everyone, and if you choose not to use it - more power to you. I personally am fascinated by the story, and I enjoy seeing it through the character's eyes (even if those eyes may be feminine.)

It doesn't make you a bigot. Just make sure not to push your preferences onto others, and there's nothing wrong with it. :p Though comments like 'Well, unless they're into that' is the only part that worries me a little. There's a number of reasons to play the game from the opposite gender, and it adds replayability.

By "into that" I was trying to express the idea of a non-straight guy without setting off the forum censor :). No offense meant.

My main is always male in any MMO.

My alts are nearly always female.

In TOR, no, I will not follow female - male companion romances.

In other Bioware games I generally play 2 characters (female renegade shepard, male paragon shepard, for example - and the female renegade is *MY* shepard because of the stellar voice acting compared to the male), and the female of course romanced the Asari (and stayed true).

In Dragon Age - male romanced Morrigan, female romanced Leliana, etc for DA 2 as well.

Meh, as a guy playing a couple female characters, I'm fine with romancing guys. I'd get more personally out of romancing girls since I find them more appealing romantically, but I don't find it icky as the OP said.

It's roleplay, I didn't kiss Corso, my scoundrel girl did. It's the same way my Jedi made out with Ranna back on Tython and kissed Kira, it wasn't me there either (though in those cases I'd switch with him... not so much personally attracted to Corso). I can understand the icky feeling I spose, but there's a separation between the player (straight guy) and the characters (little of both male and female...) that keeps me from feeling it. It's like, as an actor, could you kiss another guy if your character was gay? I don't think I'd have a problem doing that, but I could understand people who would.

All that said... my shadow (another femme) will be WAY more interested in Nadia than Felix when/if they get around to introducing same sex options.

I'd say it depends on how much you invest in your character as an alter-ego; for some people it's more like watching a movie - would you feel uncomfortable watching an action movie with a female protagonist (Tomb Raider?) when there's an element of romance? Maybe you'd identify with the male in that situation.

I imagine fiction writers do this a great deal, when they have to inhabit a character in order to write them. Doesn't make them gay (or straight, if they are a gay person writing a straight person). It's just a matter of walking in someone else's shoes.

I wouldn't judge anyone else for feeling awkward about it - if you have tightly drawn lines around your own comfort zones, that's your issue to deal with as best you can, so long as you don't pass judgement on someone else's mindset if they do enjoy that playstyle.

When I play an RPG I make a balance of male and female characters. I follow the romance arcs on both genders, whether they be "straight" romances or not. Doing so doesn't bother me simply because I'm playing a game; controlling a character. I don't associate what actions I choose for my character to be reflections of what I would choose were I actually in that situation. The thing I love most about video games (especially RPGs) is playing as somebody who isn't me. My life is boring; my character's life is full of excitement!

This exactly.

I'm playing a female consular. Had the one-night stand with Tharan and will eventually marry Iresso.

I'm also playing a Male Warrior. Will try to romance Jaesa and Vette.

It's the character's life, not mine. I'm playing their story.

I can kinda understand where the OP is coming from. As a male playing a female Sage, I couldn't continue the relationship with Iresso. I think part of it is that I found Iresso...well...pretty boring. I dunno. He wasn't exciting at all. I've definitely done female romances in other BW games no problem, but Iresso didn't do it for me.

I really wanted to make girl on girl characters, but there are none so I had to roll a dude.

I actually normally play chick characters in most MMOs, maybe just because I prefer looking at them, and I consider my character to be something I own, like a pet, rather than I representation of myself.

But with the heavy story telling and RP atmosphere in this game I found it hard to play a girl and so stuck to beardly man.

Since I almost never play male characters I know some would say I shouldn't reply but my husband never comes to these forums. My husband has a couple of female alts and a couple of male but on his IA, who is female, he is romancing Vector. He, like myself, just wants to see and experience the story options available. Neither of us finds it wierd or wrong because it's a game. We're both very good at keeping IC and OOC separate so while he would not be into anything with a male IRL, it doesn't bother him the least in game.