The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Best thing about being a girl gamer!

Sathla

Most guilds I have ever been are around 50% females to males. Going by statistics I saw a year ago, females are up around 48% of all gamers now.

I'm a girl, and obviously a gamer, and I don't even know what the fuss is. I haven't even had anyone so much as act slightly different around me because of it. I'm just another guildie to everyone I play with, or just another person in that one Warzone.

All the same, welcome!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now some say girl gamers are sissys, not good, or have horrible taste in games.. This is not true what so ever!

Hah! Been married to a gamer girl for 25 years and I'd never say something that stupid!

"Give a girl a chance to blow $*** up, and she will blow a LOT of $*** up!"

I'm not sure why this warrants a thread. Gender, race or orientation really shouldn't matter in a video game, because it doesn't affect how skilled you are in a video game.

I find that females and gays tend to create these threads a lot, like somehow it's really important that people know you exist. Never seen a black person start a thread like this.

Glad you're enjoying the game, yes it is indeed a great game.

I'm not sure why this warrants a thread. Gender, race or orientation really shouldn't matter in a video game, because it doesn't affect how skilled you are in a video game.

I find that females and gays tend to create these threads a lot, like somehow it's really important that people know you exist. Never seen a black person start a thread like this.

Glad you're enjoying the game, yes it is indeed a great game.

If it doesn't warrant a thread, it certainly didn't warrant a reply.

• 2 weeks later...
I know it seems like something not worth mentioning, but if you are a female gamer you know why she brought it up. Strangely enough (and sadly enough) it is still an issue after all these years. There are some games I don't even bother letting it be known I'm female just to avoid the distraction that comes with it. "Hey, you're pretty good for a girl", "Well, look at her go!", so many silly things that would never be said to a guy. If it were a guy it would just be "nice shot, man" and move on. Like it's so surprising and such an accomplishment that a girl would be able to do it. It's stupid, but it still happens in just about every game I've ever played.

I know it seems like something not worth mentioning, but if you are a female gamer you know why she brought it up. Strangely enough (and sadly enough) it is still an issue after all these years. There are some games I don't even bother letting it be known I'm female just to avoid the distraction that comes with it. "Hey, you're pretty good for a girl", "Well, look at her go!", so many silly things that would never be said to a guy. If it were a guy it would just be "nice shot, man" and move on. Like it's so surprising and such an accomplishment that a girl would be able to do it. It's stupid, but it still happens in just about every game I've ever played.

Yeah, this. My current WoW guild leader is a woman and my TOR guild is IRL friends so it doesn't happen as much in these games but anything else? Or if I mention to people at work or whatever "Yeah, I was playing X" this weekend... man, you get the weirdest looks and/or comments.

I'm also still boggled when I see gaming clothes for women (N7 hoodie FTW!).

For me, the best thing about being a girl gamer (and I use the term loosely) is being able to play with my husband. Yes, I play mostly independently, but I also have 2 characters that I'm leveling up exclusively with my husband, a dark side and light side character. I'm not really a gamer in much of a sense, have played a few MMO's, but I have the most fun when I play a game with him - even if we are just in the same room, but on different characters. His favorite part? No wife aggro! Unless he's playing PS3 and I want him to play on the computer.

• 7 months later...

Well I am also a guy who uses female toons exclusively when playing MMOs. There are many reasons why, but one of the best is the assumption that I am in fact a woman. It usually happens when I talk about being a single parent and/or when I go afk randomly when my kids wanna play tickle monster. I don't correct them (except my guildmates), I just enjoy the show. They clean up their language, they don't talk guys stuff, they give me stuff, all that sort. The downside is getting stalkers, but that is easily handled with ignore. All in all it is an interesting social experiment and I have fun seeing what writers do with the female conversations. I usually give up on games that use cliche stereotypes.

So ladies, if you want to have a fun social experiment, make some male toons and do the same.

So ladies, if you want to have a fun social experiment, make some male toons and do the same.

i'm a girl and i used to ONLY make male toons for a couple reason:

1. guys sometimes act awkward/pervy when they think you're a girl gamer, and it was annoying.

2. i personally liked the clothes that male toons wore better. (ie. male knights wear full plate armor, while female knights where bikinis and stilettos? really?)

i'm a girl and i used to ONLY make male toons for a couple reason:

1. guys sometimes act awkward/pervy when they think you're a girl gamer, and it was annoying.

2. i personally liked the clothes that male toons wore better. (ie. male knights wear full plate armor, while female knights where bikinis and stilettos? really?)

I think that Xena helped throw that back in to people's (i.e. MEN) imagination. The sexy female warrior has been a part of our fantasy since the we formalized warfare. The Valkyrie, Amazons, and Onna-Bugeisha all are women warriors. Also individuals like Boudica, Cordelia, Kutulun, Fu Hao, Tomoe Gozen, Zenobia, Ahhotep, Joan of Arc, Hatshepsut all have been reimaged over time to more feminine (and sexy) clothing. So it's just part of our psyche. Look at Warhammer or Warhammer 40K for images of males. Massive armor that make them bulkier and more intimidating. It's a romanticization of the warrior. Male or female.

Oddly enough I play female toons exclusively for the same reason. I'm a bit of a fasionista when it comes to my toons. I think the women have more variety where as all the male armor is just massvie shoulders with spikes or plates, rotund chest pieces, and almost shield sized greaves. I like the deception factor of women's clothing, it may not look intimidating, but I can tank with the best of 'em. Plus you get those guys who see my toon and think, "Damn! That's HOT!" 2 seconds later he has to respawn because he let me gain initiative.

Edited by Thylbanus

eh, i kinda prefer practical-looking clothing than looking "sexy" or "fashionable". to be honest, i was never really (and still not) into fashion in the first place. i was always more of a tomboy. like screw Barbies, i'd rather toss a football. i wear t-shirts and jeans all the time cause i dress for comfort instead of for looking good. i'm pretty sure i'm in the vast minority though.

I'm the GM of my guild, and most of the times, they don't believe that I'm a chick until Vent. It's crazy! And males on the game automatically assume all players are guys! XD "Excuse me sir, didn't mean to break CC." Lol...!!!

Ayayaah! XD

eh, i kinda prefer practical-looking clothing than looking "sexy" or "fashionable". to be honest, i was never really (and still not) into fashion in the first place. i was always more of a tomboy. like screw Barbies, i'd rather toss a football. i wear t-shirts and jeans all the time cause i dress for comfort instead of for looking good. i'm pretty sure i'm in the vast minority though.

Vast minority- Love it. Anyway, you actually aren't. All the gamer girls in my crew are the same way. All of them, save one, have come to me to get them dressed up when we have parties or are going out for the evening. Well at one point or another, anyway. A few have learned from me over the last 7 years. :rolleyes:

Well I am also a guy who uses female toons exclusively when playing MMOs. There are many reasons why, but one of the best is the assumption that I am in fact a woman. It usually happens when I talk about being a single parent and/or when I go afk randomly when my kids wanna play tickle monster. I don't correct them (except my guildmates), I just enjoy the show. They clean up their language, they don't talk guys stuff, they give me stuff, all that sort. The downside is getting stalkers, but that is easily handled with ignore. All in all it is an interesting social experiment and I have fun seeing what writers do with the female conversations. I usually give up on games that use cliche stereotypes.

Yep exactly. That, is why I play a male. People still figure out im a girl however.....

Its really sad that you think taking their stuff is OK. This attitude is a big reason why girl gamers sometimes get a negative stereotype...Its even worse since you aren't even a girl, makes you a liar also.

Personally. I don't think that's cool at all. I also find it a bit weird. You can take a social experiment a little too far.

Its really sad that you think taking their stuff is OK. This attitude is a big reason why girl gamers sometimes get a negative stereotype...Its even worse since you aren't even a girl, makes you a liar also.

Uh oh. They got me. Sorry everyone, if you have toons that are the opposite sex you need to delete them an start new toons of the appropriate sex. Otherwise Icebergy will call you a phony. A big fat phony.

Edited by Thylbanus

Personally. I don't think that's cool at all. I also find it a bit weird. You can take a social experiment a little too far.

Just want to remind you:

This is a game

An online game at that. I conduct myself the same in every game. I don't change because there is a woman around. If you conduct yourself differently around a woman, then that is just sexist. If you are looking to make a connection with a woman in an online game, you are

in all da wong places.

Besides, MMOs are exacly the right place for a social experiment. The anonymity of the net lets people be themselves. I don't force anyone to act that way, they do it on their own. That is of interest to me. Social pressure at it's finest. It has been posited that MMOs are the best place for nascent AIs to learn how to interact with humans. That will be a MAJOR social experiment.

I don't have a problem with some people feeling wierd after I expose their hypocrisies. You never know who you are speaking to when you are on the net. Treat everyone the same and you woun't feel wierd or uncomfortable.

Edited by Thylbanus

Uh oh. They got me. Sorry everyone, if you have toons that are the opposite sex you need to delete them an start new toons of the appropriate sex. Otherwise Icebergy will call you a phony. A big fat phony.

Errm, thats not at all what I said, perhaps you need to reread my post.

I don't care if you play opposite gender characters, I did that myself in WoW because I liked the female models better and I didn't feel as connected to those characters as I do my SWTOR ones.

The fact that you are accepting gifts from people is where you are wrong. This makes you a bad person and no amount of spin can change that.

Errm, thats not at all what I said, perhaps you need to reread my post.

I don't care if you play opposite gender characters, I did that myself in WoW because I liked the female models better and I didn't feel as connected to those characters as I do my SWTOR ones.

The fact that you are accepting gifts from people is where you are wrong. This makes you a bad person and no amount of spin can change that.

Then maybe you should re-read my post. I said they would give me gifts, I never said I accepted them. You assumed I did. You just proved my point about assuming.

Just want to remind you:

This is a game

An online game at that. I conduct myself the same in every game. I don't change because there is a woman around. If you conduct yourself differently around a woman, then that is just sexist. If you are looking to make a connection with a woman in an online game, you are

in all da wong places.

Besides, MMOs are exacly the right place for a social experiment. The anonymity of the net lets people be themselves. I don't force anyone to act that way, they do it on their own. That is of interest to me. Social pressure at it's finest. It has been posited that MMOs are the best place for nascent AIs to learn how to interact with humans. That will be a MAJOR social experiment.

I don't have a problem with some people feeling wierd after I expose their hypocrisies. You never know who you are speaking to when you are on the net. Treat everyone the same and you woun't feel wierd or uncomfortable.

I think your whole approach is strange. Its not healthy. Sorry pal, just my opinion. I treat everyone I meet the same. I have no idea where you think I don't. I don't assume anyone is a woman on the internet because its filled with people...um...like you. So I treat everyone the same.

(And unlike other gamers, I tend to treat women gamers no differently than men. Why would I? Most "girl gamers" make posts and chat just to draw attention to themselves. Yes, I am stereotyping right now. I wouldn't if it wasn't at least partially true.)

Then maybe you should re-read my post. I said they would give me gifts, I never said I accepted them. You assumed I did. You just proved my point about assuming.

"They give me stuff". There is no assumption to make there. They give you stuff. You did not say "they try to give me stuff", you said they give it to you. That is implied that you received it, and in now saying that you didn't take it, you are either lying now, or were lying by omission earlier.

Once again proving my point about not being a good person.

I think your whole approach is strange. Its not healthy. Sorry pal, just my opinion. I treat everyone I meet the same. I have no idea where you think I don't. I don't assume anyone is a woman on the internet because its filled with people...um...like you. So I treat everyone the same.

(And unlike other gamers, I tend to treat women gamers no differently than men. Why would I? Most "girl gamers" make posts and chat just to draw attention to themselves. Yes, I am stereotyping right now. I wouldn't if it wasn't at least partially true.)

Well then you reveal your motives. You believe that you are smart enough to "figure out" who is male and female. Your use of assumtions and stereotypes reveals this. So by process of your logic you can deduce who is male and female (they fit stereotypes) and act accordingly. Just as you (and others) assumed what I meant in previous posts. So it isn't weird or odd. My choice of femtoons over male has a multitude of different reasons, a mere fraction of which I outlined. I'm comforable with myself to be able to cross that line.