The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

If I could only make one (realistic) change to Powertech it would be...

ZeusThunder

Here is what my change would be:

I'd remove Jet Charge from the talent tree, and give make it a learned Powertech skill at level 20.

I'd replace Jet Charge on the talent tree with this:

Improved Shoulder Slam

Shoulder Slam can be used on all targets, and no longer requires the target to be incapacitated. Additionally its cooldown is reduced by 15 seconds.

Here is what my change would be:

I'd remove Jet Charge from the talent tree, and give make it a learned Powertech skill at level 20.

I'd replace Jet Charge on the talent tree with this:

Improved Shoulder Slam

Shoulder Slam can be used on all targets, and no longer requires the target to be incapacitated. Additionally its cooldown is reduced by 15 seconds.

Yes, all Powertechs - dps and tank - do want the Jet Charge ability. However, I wonder if that wouldnt give the powertech dps too many abilities to close in on enemies comparing to other melee classes. Yes, the warrior can jump to the target but at this moment, the Powertech can pull a target to them.

The shoulder slam isnt a great ability at this time because it isnt usable on all targets. I do think that they should buff it in some way, but removing the incapaciteted requirement AND reducing the cooldown would make it too powerful dure to its hight damage output. I am fine with it having a long cooldown and requires the target to be incapaciteted - but it needs to be usable on all enemies - otherwise people wont use it. Unless they come up with another way to make it useful that us.

From what I understand all PTs don't get Jet Charge (or have it lower in the ST tree) because in Beta it was lower in the tree and there was a build that would allow you to have Jet Charge and Hydraulic Overrides that was too overpowered.

I don't see why they can't just do a shared cooldown.

Jet Charge - 15 sec cooldown

Grapple - 45 sec cooldown (40/35 with talents in AP)

If you Jet Charge, both Jet Charge and Grapple go on a 15 sec cooldown.

If you Grapple, both Jet Charge and Grapple go on a 45 sec (40/35 with talents) cooldown.

This way you can't abuse being unkitable (I guess HO + Jet Charge is still a problem) while still having access to a single gap closer regardless of whether the enemy has a full resolve bar.

From what I understand all PTs don't get Jet Charge (or have it lower in the ST tree) because in Beta it was lower in the tree and there was a build that would allow you to have Jet Charge and Hydraulic Overrides that was too overpowered.

This.

Also, each class has a shoulder slam-like ability or two that is useful only in pve versus strong/standard/weak mobs. For Juggernauts we get Savage Kick and Pommel Strike. SK is only useful on targets afflicted by a movement-impairing effect (a root or snare) and PS is only useful on targets that are stunned or incapacitated.

And, again, having a charge AND a pull is completely, terrible imbalanced, even before you consider the awesome that is Hydraulic Overrides. It's the reason why Juggs/Guardians were given Force Push in lieu of Force Pull (which was given to Assassin/Shadow tanks in their tank tree).

As much as I'd like to have grapple, and as much as I hate that PT's can spec into my charge ability (with a lower CD from the pvp set no doubt) I find that the combination of things now is pretty balanced despite all that. Juggs still get a friendly target leap, and PT's don't get the same buffs to charge that a Jugg can spec into (i.e. Unstoppable, or auto-crit on Smash, or 2s stun on charge).

Edited by Quor

Pyro dosnt have a gap closer either but i understand not giving jet charge on a lower teir, Pyro is bad enough now as it is, if you could stick to a target like glue with charge/grapple it'd be bad.

do you have a clue what you are talking about?

Grapple is a gap closer and pyro can use it, also sweltering heat slows the target. I have no issue sticking to people like glue. I don't need jet charge.

Maybe I'm just that much better than you that I don't have an issue with pyrotech at all. Most of my time is spent kiting melee around so they cant damage me anyway. Ranged are easy to stick to.

Edited by Eroex

I quoted you because you wrote, "To heck with it looking good", implying that the Eliminator set looks especially aweful (I know that all our pvp stuff is bad).

you think eliminator looks particularly awful ? try the supercommando helmet ... THATS awful

you think eliminator looks particularly awful ? try the supercommando helmet ... THATS awful

Why do our sets look like bountyhunter sets on the websites - i.e. http://knotor.com/item_sets/55 - and look like **** ingame? I have the eliminator helmet and it looks like I have a HUGE facehugger sitting on my head. NOT bountyhunter style at all.

The icons on the different TOR websites all look like cool bounty hunter gear. Is that perhaps the look of republic trooper gear and only our imperial stuff has that aweful bug-look?

To heck with it looking good, give the eliminator set a 2 piece bonus for a skill both mercs and powertechs have, as it is the clear firebug set.

Im pretty sure that for the PVE set the combat tech 4 set is better than eliminators. 8% damage on railshot > 8 less heat on rail shot

for PVP i agree Eliminator has the better 4p. 15% crit on rail shot > 15% crit on rocket punch.

do you have a clue what you are talking about?

Grapple is a gap closer and pyro can use it, also sweltering heat slows the target. I have no issue sticking to people like glue. I don't need jet charge.

Maybe I'm just that much better than you that I don't have an issue with pyrotech at all. Most of my time is spent kiting melee around so they cant damage me anyway. Ranged are easy to stick to.

Wow. People are having a nice, civil conversation and then.... TROLL!!!

Good game man, good game.

But yes, pyrotech with more mobility would be OP.

Edited by SabonXS

Jet Charge wouldn't give Pyro MUCH more of an advantage because Pyro is not exactly gimp at range to begin with. What it would do is make the entirety of the class a lot more fun to play. It would definitely feel more like a juggernaut class and highlight the use of the jetpack.