Subs are the biggest rip-offs

oseaswe

That argument doesn't hold water because microtransactions support freemium games. You don't have to force anyone to pay a sub.

Oseaswe, if you can't speak openly just blink twice if there's a Bioware employee holding a gun to your head whilst you subscribe.

F2P is a crazy business model at release. It makes a lot more sense later on but it is not a good way for you to recoup your initial investment.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Assuming for a second there is significant cost to server maintenance, it's nothing that micro-transactions can't support. Profit is still possible, my point is subs are behind the times and historically uncommon.

That is not an assumption, that is a fact.

Of course you can have micro transactions as well, but it do not suite all players. I much prefer a monthly fee. SWTOR targets those who want a flat rate to play instead of "get better the more you pay".

If you like micro transactions, by all means play one of those.

That argument doesn't hold water because microtransactions support freemium games. You don't have to force anyone to pay a sub.

Newsflash: No one's forcing to pay a sub. Unless Bioware is breaking into your house every month and stealing your stuff, your complaint is invalid.

So go play a F2P and stop trying to tell us how to spend our money.

Capitalism is great, it give people choices.

Some people eat dinner at McDonald's, some eat at The Palm.

In commercial history. There is absolutely 0 reason why anyone should have to pay to play a game you already paid 60 bucks for.

I hate subs so much I decided to pre-order Kingdoms of Amalur instead of subbing after my free month expires this Saturday. It would just be cheaper to pay for a 60 day game card than buy a brand new game but it's about principle people.

Why do we have to pay for subs? Can anyone provide a logical and rational explanation? Because there is none. And don't tell me server costs, that's a load of crap. Plenty of games offer free multiplayer like Call of Duty and that game has more people than stupid TOR.

I can't see a movie now days for $15 or less and that is like 2 hours of entertainment .....

Elite is an optional "sub"

You miss the point, BW/EA forces you to pay for a sub. Elite doesn't.

EA/Bioware aren't forcing anyone to pay, it's called capitalism, if you don't agree, or dislike a business practice you don't support them.

if $15 is "spendy" to you then get a night job.

I suppose people like you have never gone to gradschool, lawschool or medschool and never had to deal with living paycheck to paycheck with the constant pressure of a massive educational loan at the back of your head. $15 a month is a LOT of money to people like that. We need to save every cent (including that $15 sub) so that at the end of 10-12 months, we can save off enough to buy a round trip plane ticket home to see friends and family.

And yet, we like to unwind by gaming like every other nerd in this thread. Back in 2004, when I was in gradschool, there was no way for me to afford $15 a month on a game. Every dollar I earned between 3 jobs was accounted for by rent, food, gas, bills etc. And that's when you understand the value of money. And that's when you look to f2p games like GW for fun and freedom.

In commercial history. There is absolutely 0 reason why anyone should have to pay to play a game you already paid 60 bucks for.

I hate subs so much I decided to pre-order Kingdoms of Amalur instead of subbing after my free month expires this Saturday. It would just be cheaper to pay for a 60 day game card than buy a brand new game but it's about principle people.

Why do we have to pay for subs? Can anyone provide a logical and rational explanation? Because there is none. And don't tell me server costs, that's a load of crap. Plenty of games offer free multiplayer like Call of Duty and that game has more people than stupid TOR.

wow , thank god you have years off school ahead of you before you get a job , do you think once the game is released that don't accrue expanses ? I could list some but whats the point , you obviously have no idea how a mmo works

Where did I say you can't have micro transactions? They are a steady stream of revenue.

As I already said:

It do not suite all players. I much prefer a monthly fee. SWTOR targets those who want a flat rate to play instead of "get better the more you pay".

If you like micro transactions, by all means play one of those.

Newsflash: No one's forcing to pay a sub. Unless Bioware is breaking into your house every month and stealing your stuff, your complaint is invalid.

You know exactly what I mean. If I don't pay per month, I can't play the game. Versus, I can play the game whenever and buy extra stuff at will.

I understand a little bit more about connections and servers but it still ignores the fact that GW is free and is doing so well they made a sequel that's out soon.

It reinforces my argument that a sub is not necessary to offset costs, but likely the most profitable for the company = rip off to the consumer.

Hello, everyone.

We understand that users will wish to discuss payment methods for Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ at times, but this thread as quickly derailed into a discussion on opinions of game payment methods in general, and has gone off topic. After some careful deliberation and reading, we will be closing the thread. Thank you for your understanding, and if you have any questions about this, please don't hesitate to contact us at communitysupport@bioware.com.