The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

PvE/PvP tank who plays Huttball a lot, can you improve my build?

ZeusThunder

Here is what I'm using now (31/10/0): http://knotor.com/skills#AgMfCgARSVFaYmlyeoKaoaqzusrT2qGyutLb

Here is my situation: I'm on an unbalanced server, and 95% or so of my WZ matches are Huttball. I tank both PvP and PvE daily, and don't have the credits to switch specs every day. So, I need a spec that will work for both PvP and PvE, and is focused on Huttball.

My logic:

- Ion Screen and Power Armor for the straight damage reduction

- Jet Charge, No Escape, and Advanced Tools since Leaping(ball carrier) and Pulling into fire hazards are my main Huttball activities

- No point into Oil Slick because I just don't think it helps all that much. I'd mostly just use it while being the ball carrier, but I can already basically be immune to damage for 20 seconds by using adrenal and energy shield.

- Prototype Electro Surge since Electro Dart is more valuable in Huttball than extra Rocket Punch damage

So that's it. Wondering if anyone would use a different build in my situation. Thanks for the feedback.

Go for the classic parakeet build.

The top tier tanking skills aren't worth the points for pvp, the parakeet build goes far enough for jet charge and most of the remainder in Pyrotech to bring your DPS up (focusing on abilities which improve / reset cooldown on railshot)

:edit:

e.g. http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301GRGM0MdoZ0MZbIMbdh.1

Edited by Jestunhi

If you play HB a lot, stay as a tank and get a guildmate healer + 2 DPS to roll with you. My guild team wins 9/10 HBs, 1 being against the full sorcerer/knight teams. As a geared tank backed by a healer you are UNKILLABLE, I can tank eight people and walk across the line with my resolve bar full, do /flex, jump into the pit and walk back. I am 32/7/2.

Ignore the guy who said to ignore top tier abilities as a tank. Shields are your crutch in PVE tanking from what I've seen, and the extra 10% from those points is good. the heat venting from the heat blast is useful and a better use for that point that doing something like picking up retractable blades.

Honestly, I don't think you'll find something that effectively tanks PVP AND PVE. shields are fairly useless in PVP as a large amount of enemy attacks simply aren't blocked by them.

The moral of the story: Jack of all trades, master of none.

I use Carolina Parakeet as OT/Dps in Ops/HM Flashpoints and in PVP. I made sure to pick up all the tanking talents up to Jet Charge. Your heat use is fine but takes a bit of getting used to. AOE tanking is a tad more challenging. You end up missing 2% damage reduction from all sources and 10% shield (averages out to about 3-4% more damage taken).

In return you're much, much better off in PVP: better range, better burst. When you're doing DPS in CGC you'll do better damage than a pure tank spec. It's a compromise, sure, but it might be worth a try. Most Ops bosses don't require 2 tanks anyways and the build is fine for trash.