Upgrade Video Card....Still Low FPS...Trolol?

AaronPenick

Funny I am having no issues anywhere at all including Illum. You are a hardware builder? Reformatted every patch too? Glad I don't buy any gaming rigs you build. I doubt they'd run HKO.

I want to see proof. Because if so you are 1 in 1.7 million.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im not sure I would call going from 60 to 65...68 anything signifficant when thats your minimum FPS. It might matter for FPS-addicts but really, most people wont even see that since their displays refresh rate becomes the limiting factor.

As for me... I got FPS cap limited to 50 (could just as well be 44 too I guess) to keep my card cooler since my eye can not see the difference anyway. And I guess that saves some CPU cycles as a side effect too. :)

How do you set a cap for your FPS?

That card is not much better than an overclocked 460 tbh. And it depends whether you got the 2gig version or the 1gig and is it the '448' processing cores version?

A 7970 gets around 90-111 fps in fleet, constant 111fps in WZ's. You should get you around 35-45fps. I think I got about 25fps from the 460gtx. (OC'd) (All medium settings)

you dont know what youre saying because theres no such thing as a 550 that has 2 gigs or 448 processing cores. thats the 560. he has a 550

and i have a 460 768mb and i have everything on high with no shadows and low shader. and I get 40-60 fps. and 20-30 on illum

So yesterday I decided to finally update the video card on my desktop. I didn't go crazy and get top of the line but I think we can all agree that a nvidia 550ti is nothing to scoff at (i had a nvidia 9600 in there). Loaded up BF3 on ultra and Skyrim at max and got around 30-35 fps. Not bad, about what I was expecting since the card is about a year old. Now time to load up to and see if I can get above 20 fps....oh wow yea! now I have !22! fps while running around in quest areas (didnt check fleet and WZ since it will probably be lower)

Wow so glad they had that long winded post about low end machines and explaining to us noobs what graphic settings are v.v

Edit: adding cpu and ram cause I am a tard and forgot. Quad core oc'd to 2.8 and 8 gigs of ram

Did you ever think that maybe the problem is you are still running a 56k nic? and you IP can only deliver 256k across your phone line?

While you are in game, please hit CONTROL+SHIFT+F

You will see a little FPS meter appear in the bottom left corner.

Is the color green or red?

Green = Your card what's causing the ceiling on your FPS (even if it's really high, it has a ceiling).

Red = CPU is the cause.

I'm guessing your FPS sucked because of the CPU from the start.

Are you certain this is always correct? I have a hard time believing that my 560 ti is capping my FPS and not my Q6600 @ 2.7 ghz. My fps in ( ) is green.

I want to see proof. Because if so you are 1 in 1.7 million.

Plenty of us have no performance issues. I know the people with problems would like to believe everyone has them, but really, a very large number of us don't.

I'm not saying I don't believe people who have issues, incidentally. That would be about as nonsensical as refusing to believe people who say they don't.

Whats the power requirement for that new card? What about your old card? Whats your PSU? You didn't accidentally plug the monitor into the on-board video (lol)?

What about heat?

I'd recommend:

Hit ctrl-shift-esc, go to performance and hit 'resource monitor'. Run it for a while and see what happens. If you see a big hitch or stutter alt-tab over and see if any graphs are topping out. What are your hard faults/sec on the memory? Is your HDD running at 100%?

Get MSI Afterburner and have it graph GPU usage and temperature over time. if you're heating up and repeatedly hitting 100% then something is funky with your card.

this when troubleshooting always start at the beginning never assume anything it will bite you in the *** later(trust me). also i have not seen anyone ask if hes updated the drivers to his new Video Card might wanna go over the basics before you get to into the crazy stuff. even the most experienced can make stupid mistakes from time to time (again trust me on this)

you dont know what youre saying because theres no such thing as a 550 that has 2 gigs or 448 processing cores. thats the 560. he has a 550

and i have a 460 768mb and i have everything on high with no shadows and low shader. and I get 40-60 fps. and 20-30 on illum

That's funny. I'm sitting here at my desk, holding a box that says EVGA GTX550ti with 2 gigs of GDDR5 ram and it's overclocked to 72 mhz. $199 for it. Averaging about 70 fps.

That's funny. I'm sitting here at my desk, holding a box that says EVGA GTX550ti with 2 gigs of GDDR5 ram and it's overclocked to 720 mhz. $199 for it. Averaging about 70 fps.

Thats a two chip board too right? and what are theseprocessing cores that people are talking about? CUDA cores? Just asking becose there's a lot more in determining GFX board performance than counting it's CUDA cores. There are many other kinds of processing units in there too...

Hi there!

There are existing discussion threads regarding computer hardware which you may find very helpful:

You can also check out our General FAQs for information about minimum system specifications.

In the interest of consolidating discussion, we have closed this thread. Please use one of the topics linked above for further questions and discussion of hardware specifications. Thank you!