Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

I love the game, but seriously, $300,000,000?

BOLTgamer

Do you even know how this industry works?

let me compare something to you...

how much money do you think a movie say.....the dark knight costs to make?

somewhere in the vicinity of 100m? is that too high?

even so, by comparision you pay 10 bucks, and in 2 or so hours you see all there is too see from that movie, thats it

yet here, they spend 200 , keep you and thousands of other people occupied for days on end , and its suddenly "Too much money? "

learn how the industry works kid

Edited by LaVolpex

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

even so, by comparision you pay 10 bucks, and in 2 or so hours you see all there is too see from that movie, thats it

yet here, they spend 200 , keep you and thousands of other people occupied for days on end , and its suddenly "Too much money? "

My wife worked for WB around the time that movie was in production and she's handled most of the finance sheets, invoices, etc. and at the time she mentioned the current cost at the time was around 200+ million.

Definitely agree though that too many people assume they know how things work.

Hey now, you better relax. I mean at the outrageous cost of $0.02 per hour for entertainment for a monthly sub. You have to give them that, as that amount of money is rather hard to come by now days.......:D

You are not kidding...

For 2-300 mil, this game should look and play like the best game ever.

The fact that people are happy with this just proves that most of these MMO gamers have almost NO standards.

Anyone with a brain can see right through this masquerade. FIVE YEARS AND 200-300 MIL PEOPLE. Do you understand how much time and money that is compared to most games?

The quality is CLEARLY not reflective of the time and money allocated IMO.

I mean I love this game and all, but it took them that much to make? I mean, you would've made so much more money from making another Star Wars movie like the cinematics based on the old republic era, or making KOTOR 3 and 4. I'm in love with this game but if it took them this much im sorry, this game doesn't look 300million dollars!

You embarrass yourself when you come to the forums armed with what you think are "facts".

The game didn't cost that much. So. Yeah. Your entire supposition cannot be defended any longer. Sorry.

275m for there new restroom in Bio-HQ

25m for there fail engine.

Standard American politics.

Your right, standard American Politics. Too bad Bioware is a Canadian Company that knows how to spend it's own money and not waste it. Game cost nowhere near 300m to make.

You embarrass yourself when you come to the forums armed with what you think are "facts".

The game didn't cost that much. So. Yeah. Your entire supposition cannot be defended any longer. Sorry.

You embarrass yourself when you come to these forums.

Although BioWare has not disclosed development costs, industry leaders and financial analysts have estimated it to be between $150 million and $200 million. If accurate, this would make it the most expensive video game ever developed.[12][13] Upon the titles's launch, the game had 1 million subscribers within three days making it the world's 'Fastest-Growing MMO Ever' going up against other rivals such as World of Warcraft.[14]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_The_Old_Republic

FWIW

and

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/01/20/the-force-is-with-swtor-ea-stock-bounces-back-budget-revealed/

It seems like everyone is obsessed with the exact amount of money EA spent creating its most expensive title ever, but the Los Angeles Times may have a final number to end the discussion: Apparently, Star Wars: The Old Republic cost $200 million. Other interesting details from the Times' investigation into what it calls a "galactic gamble" include the fact that it was made by 800 people on four continents with an additional 1,000 voice actors (doing three languages) handling 4,000 characters.

Edited by Ziegler

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.