Lucas' Sidious, EU Sidious, & Vader Debate for Lore Junkies.

HARBINGERXIII

I see people use this quote and say Vader was 80% as powerful as Vader. That's not what it means if that's actually what Lucas said, taken literally, this means Vader is more powerful than Sidious, which is against half the references in the SW books.

He had the potential to be twice (200%) as powerful as Sidious.

Due to injuries he only reached 80% of this potential, still 80% of the 200% he could have been.

e.g. say my mate had £100 and I had the potential to have 200% of that or £200.

Reaching 80% of my potential would mean I had £160, which is still more than him.

Either GL is contradicting his own story, which wouldn't be unheard of or your quoting him wrong.

What? Vader is only 80% of Sidious. How does that make him more powerful? 80% of a pie isn't more than the whole pie. Sidious is around 20% more powerful than Vader. Vader's potential post mustafar is 80% of Sidious potential. If it wasn't for that he could have achieved 200% of Sidious and been far more powerful.

Anakin is supposed to be the "Saviour", the One that will bring balance.

He failed IMHO.

I disagree. He did bring balance to the force in the end. When he threw Sidious into the pit, he fulfilled the prophecy. The prophecy never said when he would do it, just that he would.

Please see above posts...Lucas defined what Balance means. The Dark side is the force out of Balance..the true nature of the force is the Light side.

well ok i will admit that i was wrong. I just always thought that balance of the force was the light and dark side. Kinda like a ying and yang...both are needed to create balance, which to me makes more sense.

BUT

Ok so if the dark side is considered the cause of the imbalance and the light side is the equilibrium of the force. Then the eradication of the darkside is what brings balance and that is what we witness in episode VI. Fair enough!! :rolleyes:

• 6 months later...
80% compared to Sidious from the movies.He lost his potential by losing limbs and not being mature enough when he did so(or something like that).

Anakin is supposed to be the "Saviour", the One that will bring balance.

He failed IMHO.

except that he did bring balance. the light side was the over weighted side of the force and he nearly eradicated them to bring the balance back to nuetral