OK...Newbie healer here...

Conundrum-NSA

How do you experienced healers set yourself up in this game in regards to UI and keybindings?

How r you selecting your target through F!, F2 etc or clicking on them and using keybinds to heal?

any advice for a setup?

Well my preferred strategy of mouseover macros allowing me to cast healers on people in my party frames without having to click on them isn't available (yet), so I am using the "operation frames" and just using the good old click targetting system.

I've got the operations frames set nice and big and fairly central (without blocking my vision) and I am just healing those who need it like that. Can never be arsed with faffing around with function buttons to select a heal target - always found it was slower even than simple click targetting.

As far as binds go, I use Q,E,F,R and Shift + Q,E,F,R and Ctrl + Q,E,F,R, as well as the 4th and 5th buttons on my mouse (also with shift and Ctrl modifiers). in addition I have a row of buttons with 1,2,3,4,5. In future if I need more buttons I will use shift and ctrl for 1-5.

If I STILL need more buttons than that (which is unlikely since that's 33 as it is) then I'll use mousewheel up / down combined with a shift / ctrl modifier for another 4 buttons. I can also branch off into using X, T, G and V, with shift / Ctrl modifiers for them too.

Essentially my style with bindings is to have all my key abilities at my fingertips. Core stuff like Deliverance, Benevolance, Healing Trance, Rejuvenate and Force Armour are on things like Q,E,F,R and the shift mods of those keys. Stuff like DPS abilities I've got on 1-5 so I can easily throw some damage out if necessary. Crowd Control like Force Stun, Lift and Wave I've got on the shift 1-5 set as well.

keybinds are very much about personal preference though - I've used the above system since I started raiding karazhan in WoW all those years ago and it's served me well through the vast majority of raid encounters in that game since then. I don't like using 6-9 or beyond on my keyboard except for rarely used abilities like my mount (which I have as =) and buffs etc. If you need to press a button fast (like Force Armour or Healing Trance) you DON'T want to be having to do some strange contortion with your left hand to reach the button, and you CERTAINLY DON'T want to be taking your hand off your mouse to press em either.

I would add for keybinds, to shift healing to the 1-5 helps, especially when with a group, you can get used to the f1-f4 once you see who is who on the group, it makes for easy non-mouse click healing. Try to keep your interrupt ability in easy range of use, It helps a great deal in preventing damage proactively, by stopping channels, and those charge skills that a tank may not have the cooldown of his own to stop up at the moment.

Force Armor is amazing for helping deal with the alpha strike of grabbing aggro for the tank, you ideally want to use it just after he takes the first part of the attack, but before the brunt falls into claim his health gauge. Done right, this can save you easily 2-3 of your 3.0 second heals.

The force cost is nice looking, its really your call if you want to wait on getting that. I just prefer to grab the 100 extra force first for the moment, then get the instant because of the secondary specials in the tree, (Your strong heal down to 1.5 seconds makes for quick recovering for things going bad.) But grabbing that reduced cost afterward, then back into it to the healing tree. Its personal preference really there.

Noble sacrifice, on a 600 point pool, will give you enough to use another strong heal or force armor on average, and the ten second penalty for force regen isnt too bad, but its notable if you have to hit the thing more than once to get the second part. A tip that helps to ease things, is to wait until force armor is up, and the tank is doing okay, or enough to hold those attacks, and use the sacrifice 2-3 times and then use either the instant heal, or armor him again as the stacks expire, and your down some hp, but up in overall force count while folks are reasonably fine.

Sage has all the tools it really needs to heal, its just a matter of the timing and getting used to the pace. And I hope for all sages, you get a nice vanguard tank to practice with, they ease so much of the new healer jitters.

Is it really required to pick up the +100 force talents first? I am 18 at the moment and went full Seer, in a desperate attempt to get the HoT faster. I know the extra 100 force and 9% cost would make a big difference but is it a deal breaker to not have them?

(I am talking for around level 30 and below)

i Fixed it

If the tank dies, it's your fault.

If the healer dies, it's the tank's fault.

If the DPS die, it's their own dang fault. ;)

Close but wrong

'If the tank dies, it's your fault. (yes)'

'If the healer dies, it's the tank's fault. (no)' Healers dont die to the boss they die to the modes and sometimes other things in the fight but usually mods

'If the healer dies, it DPS fault .(correction)'

'If the DPS die, it's their own dang fault. ;) (so right)'

tanks well the stay on the boss to less the chance it kills anyone of course still got to be careful of the special boss mechanics.

You should also learn to have no remorse. I learned that a long time ago and refuse to heal stupidity, which is usually dps standing in the fire. Usually, after dying a couple times, they get clued in. The ones that are really beyond stupid are the ones that QQ about it, which you just tactfully tell them they were stupid for standing in the fire and stupidity can not be healed :D

I have yet to be *****ed at by others for letting stupidity fail. My resources are better used for those that are avoiding avoidable damage than for somebody who expects the healer to heal stupidity.