Merc or PT? - PVP

Beastka

I'm playing a pyro merc and doing OK...not tried arsenal in PVP but leveled to 48 as arsenal. Arsenal is a glass cannon that has to mainly spam tracer missiles for half of it's abilities. Very stationary but can do a lot of dmg if left alone and the opposition does not LOS/interrupt. You need to be supported well and you can do very well.

As merc pyro you are a lot more mobile, you don't do as much dmg but can still do a lot. You can kite melee when you learn how to...something I need to learn actually. You can burst pretty hard if you line it up right. More of a dot class like a warlock in wow.

Not played bodyguard spec (healing).

Don't know about Powertech, but it seems more popular in pvp... not sure if that makes it better.

I've only been PVPing for about a week though...I'm not geared yet, so hopefully someone more experienced will answer u.

Edited by stevewilson

This all depends on your play style and how you are at learning the spec and how to play it.

I would say as a 50 Merc 55 valor rank, PT are tough but I can beat them, everything in pvp is situational. Pyro in merc tree gives you the best mobility and in my opinion damage, but it is not as bursty as arsenal, but if you know how to los, you live alot longer.

Arsenal your a turret more or less, but you can be mobile if you learn how to play, for example as arsenal I will use exp dart on run, I might stop to get off one or 2 tracers on the target then move again using rail, and missle barage. rinse and repeat. I also will spec the rocket puch for knockback, it gives you 2 knockbacks with it and jetboost. In my opinion it is debateable on putting points into slow in arsenal because in my experience it does not do much.

In pyro ( my favorite spec) see giomatties stickie.

As for pvp I have seen PT out damage me in wz. I am not sure I agree that they have that much dps and survival, but they will say they will not agree that we have that much dps and heals.

I think it also boils down to which hybrid role would you be more interested in taking? Having tried out both before picking here's what I gathered.

Mercenaries can heal and a healer is the unsung hero of Warzones. One of the biggest shortcomings of Mercenaries in general in PvP is their standing casts with Arsenal or Bodyguard. They are more prone to interrupts and while their Pyro tree does eliminate some of it, the Powertech Pyrotech is still more mobile and in my opinion better in PvP due to the options you have to control others with. However if you pair yourself with a friend you can rely on that can help peel for you, this can patch up your sole downfall and allow you to demolish enemy lines missiles and what not.

Powertechs are melee with ranged capabilities and mostly instant abilities. The Pyrotech tree is their preferred DPS tree for PvP. Their tank tree offers a different way to support for your team via damage reduction through taunts/guard and is also arguably the most mobile BH. Keep in mind that taunts can be used in any cylinder or stance while Guard can only be used in the tank stance. Lastly, Powertechs in PvP have a much easier time scoring medals tanking or not due to taunts.

TLDR: Can't go wrong cause overall the BH/Trooper archetypes are OP.

Mercenary: Range Nuker/Healer

Powertech: Melee-Mid range Skirmisher/Tank

Edited by Rykke

Was said before, in a nutshell:

both are viable for pvp, if you want to dps you go either arsenal on a merc or pyro on a tech. Both of their respective other dps specs are inferior to those two. Between their shared trees however, most people tend to argue that powertechs make the better pyros because of more synergistic talents/abilities, so there really is no point to going pyro on a merc.

Pyro PT = Arsenal Merc > Pyro Merc > Prototype PT

I suggest powertech for mobility/utility playstyle in pvp. Take ST tree up to jet charge then experiment with points in other trees. Very mobile and capable pvp spec IMO, lots of utility, lacks some burst but you can help your team a lot. If you want burst you can always go 31 point pyro.

This all depends on your play style and how you are at learning the spec and how to play it.

I would say as a 50 Merc 55 valor rank, PT are tough but I can beat them, everything in pvp is situational. Pyro in merc tree gives you the best mobility and in my opinion damage, but it is not as bursty as arsenal, but if you know how to los, you live alot longer.

Arsenal your a turret more or less, but you can be mobile if you learn how to play, for example as arsenal I will use exp dart on run, I might stop to get off one or 2 tracers on the target then move again using rail, and missle barage. rinse and repeat. I also will spec the rocket puch for knockback, it gives you 2 knockbacks with it and jetboost. In my opinion it is debateable on putting points into slow in arsenal because in my experience it does not do much.

In pyro ( my favorite spec) see giomatties stickie.

As for pvp I have seen PT out damage me in wz. I am not sure I agree that they have that much dps and survival, but they will say they will not agree that we have that much dps and heals.

I completely agree with this, especially the part about mobility. I am a complete noob to PvP and am pretty new to MMORPG in general. I use a PVE specced arsenal merc (level 31) in PvP and I do fairly well--never best, but NEVER worst. The classes are balanced enough that the difference in the better players and worst players is player skill. If you know how to use your class, that's what matters. I started looking into the different setups but each have their pros and cons. I'm going to stick with Arsenal because it's what I know and what I'm used to. I've learned to adapt my playstyle to it. Yes. I have trouble on Huttball because of LOS, but I rule in Voidstar and Alderaan (for the most part). I can hold my own in 1v1 if I'm in open field. If I have healer or tank support, I don't get killed as much. That's true for a lot of classes. My suggestion is to play what you think is best. Oh one more thing. I also mouse-click (but I'm learning to keyboard because it's pretty essential in PvP).