Full alignment undone by one choice?

Notmare

Hey all,

I was previously under the impression that once you made it to a full alignment, Dark or Light V, that you were locked into that alignment. This is something that I've seen people complain about however I would prefer it work that way, though that isn't what I'm here for.

Last night on Ilum I chose a light side option, I'm Dark V, to complete Darth Malgus' wishes over the Moff's and I have been penalized by having my alignment stripped from me. Now I can't use my Relics until I find some more Dark side points.

What's the point of that? I don't enjoy being penalized for picking options that are preferred by one of the baddest dudes in the Galaxy. When I hit Dark V it removed the few Light side points that were previously standing in my way of reaching my alignment goal, now I can accrue more even after being given a "clean state."

Is this expected behavior for alignment in the game?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose it's to differentiate between characters that are extremely evil/good and pure evil/good. Rank V is a reward for committing completely to one path all the time. If you find it difficult to stay in the latter category you could settle on gear that only requires you to be evil/good most of the time, right? Edited by Apax

I think this is an issue. They should give at least a few options of the opposite alignment choices before you go down a level.

Also, having almost zero ways to raise/lower your alignment once at end game is bad design.

Having ZERO gray gear options (other than pvp) force everyone to be either full light, or full dark to get the best rewards.

Having to go diplomacy in order to get where you need to be via ds/ls meter is a bad design.

Essentially, the LS/DS choices are complete crap imo, and should never have been implemented until they could be implemented correctly. Choice doesn't matter in this game. You either go 100% ds or 100% ls. DS for visuals and LS for cheap end game gear and a few thosuand credits from npcs you spared during your leveling.

Pretty bland.

Edited by Humankeg

This happened to me as well, made one small light side choice and it dropped my rank. Although it isn't hard to gain the points back. They should have just kept it so you kept your net light/dark points overall like you do while leveling it up to either dark/light V.

We aren't allowed to complain that there are flaws....

Looking at your post history explains a lot.

Your very first post was stating how this game sucks compared to Wow and rift..

Please go back to your pandas.

Edited by zrinkill

I suppose it's to differentiate between characters that are extremely evil/good and pure evil/good. Rank V is a reward for committing completely to one path all the time. If you find it difficult to stay in the latter category you could settle on gear that only requires you to be evil/good most of the time, right?

Personally if grey alignment gear were implemented already I probably would have had more fun as I could just pick the options I truly would have picked, allowing for a better role playing experience. However, currently if you want to use the top tiered relics from vendors and drops you have to have a full Dark or Light alignment at level 50.

I had this happen the other day as well. What is annoying about it is that once I got to Light 5 it stopped recording my light side points. I was easily 300-400 points over at that point. However since the game wasn't keeping track, one choice to go dark side dropped me out of light 5. If all my points had been saved prior to this it wouldn't have mattered.

Shouldn't be a huge deal though, I didn't do all the quests on the way up so I should be able to pick up something to bring it back up. But I think the system should be more forgiving.

Alignment is not 'locked'. All light/dark choices have value even if you reach the max. Locking it would defeat the purpose of the choices and make any expansion quests worthless.

I do completely understand, at this point if dailies provided repeatable Dark or Light side option one could eventually change their alignment, but it would be nice to have an option to lock yourself into the maximum alignment of one or the other once you've reached that goal.

While I foresee you arguing this as well, please know that I'm thinking only in terms of convenience. Let's face it, some of the Dark side options in this game aren't even evil, they're just horrible. Sometimes I feel more like a sociopath than an evil mastermind. :confused:

So the complaint is that if you have maxed one side of LS/DS that if you do an opposite choice you are punished?

So if you are fully evil and drown a bag of kittens every day in game (just saying) and one day you choose to free them instead, you cannot use your full DS powers until you redeem yourself by doing more evil.

I am failing to see how this is a problem.

So the complaint is that if you have maxed one side of LS/DS that if you do an opposite choice you are punished?

So if you are fully evil and drown a bag of kittens every day in game (just saying) and one day you choose to free them instead, you cannot use your full DS powers until you redeem yourself by doing more evil.

I am failing to see how this is a problem.

The problem comes in when the choices simply don't align. Giving out stolen supplies to thieves gives lightside. Giving them back to the rightful owners darkside points. Wouldn't giving away army medical supplies make you evil? Apparently not.

Plus they never take in to consideration who asks you to do what. Wouldn't the baddest most evilest dude... not ask you to do stuff that isn't bad and evil? I mean why would he want you to throw up rainbows and bunnies if it completely jacks up his evil person end of the world scheme?

Its a straight good/bad system understandably but it isn't the best implimented one in my humble opinion.

Plus they never take in to consideration who asks you to do what. Wouldn't the baddest most evilest dude... not ask you to do stuff that isn't bad and evil? I mean why would he want you to throw up rainbows and bunnies if it completely jacks up his evil person end of the world scheme?

So maybe Darth Malgus used me as a tool to perform his Light side fantasies?

"I have a perverse need to throw up rainbows and bunnies, but no one can know...will you do these things so that I may live vicariously through you?"

Dude, that is a fantastic idea! Thank you!

Yea, I did that on my sniper to hit up light4 for some relics.

I was a bit let down that you lose the titles when you shift alignment as well.

I was planning to make a sith light up to Honorable title, then come down for the corruption.

Then I saw my Assassin was 10,000 dark and 10 Light, bringing me down 10 and losing the Loathsome title.

Good thing I didn't proceed with that idea.

So maybe Darth Malgus used me as a tool to perform his Light side fantasies?

"I have a perverse need to throw up rainbows and bunnies, but no one can know...will you do these things so that I may live vicariously through you?"

Force persuasion. He doesn't need to ask you, but maybe part of him is just polite like that.

This is actually a design flaw.

If I'm sitting at 10k light side points and 0 ds, I get no further credit for ls choices I make. So anything I do that would give light above 10k is not tracked, is not accumulated, is basically may not even exist. Yet the 2nd I perform the most minute of DW choice, slammed back to light 4.

So why weren't any of my previous ls choices above 10k giving me a cushion?

Design flaw.

This is actually a design flaw.

If I'm sitting at 10k light side points and 0 ds, I get no further credit for ls choices I make. So anything I do that would give light above 10k is not tracked, is not accumulated, is basically may not even exist. Yet the 2nd I perform the most minute of DW choice, slammed back to light 4.

So why weren't any of my previous ls choices above 10k giving me a cushion?

Design flaw.

That's my entire point, if possible I would have had more than 10,000 Dark side points, and wouldn't be in this predicament.

Someone's already said it, but people aren't getting it.

There's two arguments here:

1: top alignment is undone with the opposite choice

and

2: top end gear is linked to alignment.

2a: there's no gear linked to grey areas.

The first problem, on it's own is fine. If you're going to be the holiest of holys, you have to be perfect. Jesus is Jesus because he's perfect. Light V / Dark V is about as close as you'll ever get to being Jesus or the Devil. The paradigm of being the best / worst person in the universe is absolute, that means that any time you stray from that path, you're breaking your character's entire philosophy.

There's nothing wrong with that. It makes perfect sense. Ify ou're going to go around as a holy roller or murderous super villan, you better walk the walk. No one likes a hypocrite :p

The real issue here is the gear linked to alignment. By not providing top end gear choices for all alignment levels, the system forces you to pick, either Jesus or Satan :p To me, this is the much larger issue, because it effects the story as you're leveling. Your choices at low levels effect something without story, the gear. For a game that's supposed to be all story, this is a major flaw.

They should have provided gear for all 3 alignments. Doesn't matter if the stats vary a bit as much as just having the option. I'd be living in the grey area, but alas, I want to use real epic gear when I hit 50, so I'm pretending to be Jesus.

There is an issue with there not being any gear designed for grey alignments, its true. Another huge issue si the fact being full light or dark has almost know impact on your storyline.

I played a Sorc to 50, full lightside. it made essentailly no difference to how my story finished up. Light/dark is currently pure fluff in this game and that is a crime and a massive design flaw considering how many things are actually linked to it. If you are going to implement a feature like this, make it count for something beyond gear- which is again made pointless because its mostlymirrored anyway, so its not really unique

I really wanted to go neutral, then heard revanite/neutral gear isn't implemented yet. Meaning next year.

So having hit lvl 50, I was still only light 4, not a single dark point, and still couldn't equip any relics.

I decided to get the matrix shard relic, no restriction, and I lucked out on joining an EV run at last 2 fights and getting a purple relic, no restriction.

It's a shame that some gear is tied to the 5's section. i can't just play my char how I want. Otherwise I cant wear some gear.