PVP Questions From New Commando

ForceCowboy

I decided that I wanted to PVP with a ranged class after playing my Shadow in PVP for quite a bit so I rolled a Commando. He's level 23 now and I've earned the last 13 levels from PVP alone.

I have a feeling that I may be doing a few things wrong though.

1) Which cell should I be using as a pure Gunnery spec Commando? Currently my Plasma Cell is rank 6 and looks like the better choice, but I've heard that I should be using Armor Piercing cell instead. I'm confused by this, because I've heard that armor matters very little in PVP.

2) I see a lot of builds that have points in Stock Strike. Personally I hate using Stock Strike. If someone is that close to me I usually use Concussion Charge, Cryo Grenade and then run away spamming Hammerstrike, then hit them with Grav Rounds and Full Auto while they try to close the distance. Is there any reason I should be using Stock Strike? Personally I would rather have those two points in Tenacious Defense than Heavy Stock.

3) What the heck is "pushback"? I haven't put any points into this because I haven't noticed anything resembling pushing back while activating these abilities. I may be missing the point here.

Thanks for any constructive responses!

I decided that I wanted to PVP with a ranged class after playing my Shadow in PVP for quite a bit so I rolled a Commando. He's level 23 now and I've earned the last 13 levels from PVP alone.

1) Which cell should I be using as a pure Gunnery spec Commando? Currently my Plasma Cell is rank 6 and looks like the better choice, but I've heard that I should be using Armor Piercing cell instead. I'm confused by this, because I've heard that armor matters very little in PVP.

2) I see a lot of builds that have points in Stock Strike. Personally I hate using Stock Strike. If someone is that close to me I usually use Concussion Charge, Cryo Grenade and then run away spamming Hammerstrike, then hit them with Grav Rounds and Full Auto while they try to close the distance. Is there any reason I should be using Stock Strike? Personally I would rather have those two points in Tenacious Defense than Heavy Stock.

3) What the heck is "pushback"? I haven't put any points into this because I haven't noticed anything resembling pushing back while activating these abilities. I may be missing the point here.

1) The only spec that uses plasma cell is the dot-based assault. The armor-piercing from the cell has good synnergy with grav round.

2) I don't see a talent called "heavy stock". If you're referring to concussive force then it's a must have, increases your conc charge knockback distance and let's shockstrike interrupt/knock back

3) If someone is attacking you your ability gets "pushed back." That's a must have in pvp.

I don't dps in PvP but if I did this is the spec I'd use:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#800dc0MZMIkbRrdRkfz.1

Edited by Jooji

1) The only spec that uses plasma cell is the dot-based assault. The armor-piercing from the cell has good synnergy with grav round.

2) I don't see a talent called "heavy stock". If you're referring to concussive force then it's a must have, increases your conc charge knockback distance and let's shockstrike interrupt/knock back

3) If someone is attacking you your ability gets "pushed back." That's a must have in pvp.

I don't dps in PvP but if I did this is the spec I'd use:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#800dc0MZMIkbRrdRkfz.1

why the first responder? Anyways this is what I use it works well for me. http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#8000cZMIkrRMdRkczZcMb.1

1) Armor piercing allows you to regen ammo through hammer shot and full auto, and 35% armor pen is still pretty useful.

2) The only talent you would use in the Gunnery tree that has anything to do with Stockstrike would be Concussive force. You are mostly getting it to upgrade your concussion charge, but the small knockback on stockstrike is very handy; use it to interrupt, knock ppl off ledges, create distance, get ppl off your healer or ball carrier in huttball etc etc..

3) I dont understand how you could not have experienced pushback in pvp..? Casting GR for example, when you get attacked while channeling it your cast time will get pushed back. it is absolutely essential to have pushback reduction talents.

why the first responder? Anyways this is what I use it works well for me. http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#8000cZMIkrRMdRkczZcMb.1

I think it's because they are leftover points. If you want the alacrity you're better off with the static 4% from Assault tree. I was thinking of picking it up myself because I keep seeing my Grav Round interrupted right at the end of the cast. On my screen it looks like it made it to the end, but no shot goes off and I get locked out. A little passive alacrity from talent points might help with that.

As for the Stockstrike knock back. I like it, but for some reason it lags for me. I will hit a person, and they will be knocked back, but it looks like they teleport right back to my location.

Edited by lnknprk

You go into assault for 6 worthless talents? I haven't played a gunnery spec much in pvp but I don't think you need accuracy, 2% endurance, or that stun talent over what you can get in the medic tree.

Not getting quick thinking in ANY commando pvp spec is bad. Without that you have 0 ability to heal.

You go into assault for 6 worthless talents? I haven't played a gunnery spec much in pvp but I don't think you need accuracy, 2% endurance, or that stun talent over what you can get in the medic tree.

Not getting quick thinking in ANY commando pvp spec is bad. Without that you have 0 ability to heal.

I believe force users get an additional 10% chance to block attacks. The 6% accuracy bonus is useful for that. It's also useful to negate the bonus bosses get in PvE.

re your questions:

1. Use armor piercing: will make your grav and high-impact bolt hit harder, plasma without skill points is not worth it.
  2. It's mainly for the knockback effect which is a badly needed interrupt for us.
  3. Everytime you get hit the thing you are casting moves back a bit. therefore it may take 2 or more seconds to cast a 1.5 sec grav round if you are being hit. The Steadied aim skill helps with this but you really shouldn't be face tanking anyone unless you are sure you can drop them.

If you insist on Gunnery I would suggest this at your level:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#800ZMIkoR.1

Keep in mind you will need to play as a sniper with Gunnery and will die a lot, though many people will be going down with you.

I personally prefer Assault:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#800ZZfhMdz.1

You wouldn't go wrong to put 2 points into Quick Thinking for the quick heals for yourself. Quite often the lowest health is the one targeted, if you can throw in some heals to keep yourself topped up, you will be less attractive as a target.

Edited by Torathin

I heal, but I do it through stims. I just hit the warzone medpack and keep going. I almost never use a channeled in heal in PVP unless there's a big lull in combat, then I'll channel a heal or two on my and companions until they're on us again.

The only time I'll heal is if for, God forbid, some reason I decide to stoop down to playing Hutt ball. Then I'll heal the ball carrier as much as I can with my green beam, but I'm not even really doing it for the heals, I'm just trying to get the other team to attack me so they aren't attacking the carrier. Big visible heals tend to get you targeted, which was the plan in the first place.

re your questions:

1. Use armor piercing: will make your grav and high-impact bolt hit harder, plasma without skill points is not worth it.
  2. It's mainly for the knockback effect which is a badly needed interrupt for us.
  3. Everytime you get hit the thing you are casting moves back a bit. therefore it may take 2 or more seconds to cast a 1.5 sec grav round if you are being hit. The Steadied aim skill helps with this but you really shouldn't be face tanking anyone unless you are sure you can drop them.

If you insist on Gunnery I would suggest this at your level:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#800ZMIkoR.1

Keep in mind you will need to play as a sniper with Gunnery and will die a lot, though many people will be going down with you.

I personally prefer Assault:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#800ZZfhMdz.1

You wouldn't go wrong to put 2 points into Quick Thinking for the quick heals for yourself. Quite often the lowest health is the one targeted, if you can throw in some heals to keep yourself topped up, you will be less attractive as a target.

I was wondering about the interrupt. I noticed that I'm sorely lacking one at my level, and I'm pretty sure I already had one by now on my Shadow. I'll throw it back on my bar, but there's still no reason in my mind to dump points into Heavy Stock.

I was wondering about the interrupt. I noticed that I'm sorely lacking one at my level, and I'm pretty sure I already had one by now on my Shadow. I'll throw it back on my bar, but there's still no reason in my mind to dump points into Heavy Stock.

It's not just that you're lacking interrupts at your level; you don't really get any even at later levels. Spending two points to improve one of the few interrupts we have and to turn Stockstrike into an interrupt is a really good deal IMHO.

Edited by Meuwdy