Star Wars Galaxies vs SWTOR

Tripnutz

I am curious what others think of this...

I played Galaxies and really enjoyed it and here are a couple reasons why:

Player based housing -

You had your community of people hanging out in one area when there is down time and you are in a central place. Here everyone is all over the place. In the old days you could all group up and run missions right next to where your storage was and everything. It seemed a cool way to play. I think the player housing was one of the coolest things about Galaxies.

Free roaming planets...

You could could travel to anywhere on the planet, you didnt have roads that restricted you where to go.

The way you play SWTOR seems so confined...

Thoughts?

I would love to see them cherry pick and incorporate SWG's best features: space, crafting and resource harvesting.

I don't see any reason why space and crafting can't be tacked on and resource harvesting would be nothing more than using quest item mechanics to simulate planting a harvester.

BW rules on story and immersion. SWG ruled on the items above. BW obviously used a lot of ideas from WOW, I would love to see them poach a few from SWG.

Galaxies was crap, but that's just my opinion. Player housing was only good for people that like that sort of thing. All it really accomplished was filling empty land with junk. But, I suppose you had to fill it with something because that's exactly what it was....empty.

In all fairness, SWG is a COMPLETELY different game.....and it's also a dead game.

this has been done many times. apples and oranges.

Ditto

UO was the first graphical MMO, EQ was it's immediate successor and was much more popular.

Lots of people tried to compare the two but the only thing they had in common was that they were both, technically, MMOs. There was not one single other thing that they had in common.

SWG and SWToR are both Star Wars themed, other than that, they are fish and bicycles. While you can do a comparison (are wheels better than fins?), it really doesn't mean anything.

Seriously? Your enjoyment of a game was because of player housing? Go play The Sims already and ****.

(If you want to start yet another lame SWG > TOR thread, at least pick something original rather then beating the same dead horse)

what is your enjoyment of a game?

i will go ahead and say Seriously? to whatever your answer is.

Everyone has different tastes, some actually roleplay in a RPG which is what these mmo's are so those people like to have stuff in game that induces them to roleplay their character even more.

Hello, folks! We understand that users are going to want to make comparisons to other games, but we do ask that discussion on the General Discussion forum be centered around Star Wars™: The Old Republic™. Due to this ending up more as a discussion of another game, we will be closing the thread for being off topic. Thanks!