The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Why do many MMO players not appreciate the story?

chakkar

I agree...we don't need no stinkin xbox kiddies mucking up our mmo...If you do not like story go elsewhere...It's one thing to space bar through dialog the 2nd or 3rd time around...but the first? What's the point of even playing? Just get to 50 so you can pwn people? Why waste your time and 15 bucks a month? Just go back to Modern Warfare with all the other kids and basement dwellers...

• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did not read all the posts but 90%+ of the mmo population doesn't care about the story. However, most of the beta forums are filled with a majority of role players. In other words bioware thought people would care about something they didn't.

Honestly, I think people DO care about the story.. the main class story that is. The side quests are so banal because it's just the generic "kill this many mobs, bring me back this, activate that", the difference being the person says it to you instead of you having to read it.

I did not read all the posts but 90%+ of the mmo population doesn't care about the story. However, most of the beta forums are filled with a majority of role players. In other words bioware thought people would care about something they didn't.

I was in Beta, I dont recall seeing tons of RP posts. Stop creating "evidence".

How are they going a "step further" from the rest of the competitors? Just because they added VO/Cut scenes are every quest? :p that may be a step forward, but all their technical stuff are a step backwards XD how can they not have a /roll?!? the staple of all RPGS since the pen & paper age :(

Have you even played the game yet?

What mmorpgs on the market have story-based companions, with personalities, backstories and affection for the player, modified by your actions?

How many allow you to be good, or evil, regardless of faction?

How many allow your character to interact with quest givers, and NPCs with anything other than [ACCEPT QUEST]?

When I played WoW, I never felt like my character was a hero. I always felt like no matter how many feats he accomplished, and how many worlds he saved, he was forever part of a backdrop of a billion faceless heroes, and the story changed around me regardless of my actions.

In this game, my character is recognized by the people around him as a hero, I feel like I'm the center of the story, not just a walking set of stats.

I'm sorry you don't get that from this game.

What mmorpgs on the market have story-based companions, with personalities, backstories and affection for the player, modified by your actions?

How many allow your character to interact with quest givers, and NPCs with anything other than [ACCEPT QUEST]?

When I played WoW, I never felt like my character was a hero. I always felt like no matter how many feats he accomplished, and how many worlds he saved, he was forever part of a backdrop of a billion faceless heroes, and the story changed around me regardless of my actions.

In this game, my character is recognized by the people around him as a hero, I feel like I'm the center of the story, not just a walking set of stats.

Uhm, what you just described was a typical bioware game, just in MMO form lol. The thing is this though, as a single-player game it's great, as an MMO... not so much. They're lacking a lot of the basic features that all MMOs have. Hell, they don't even have the option to turn smart pivot off.

And yes, I have played an IA, BH, JK, Smuggler, and Trooper to level 50 so don't even give me that (yeah i'm a nerd and have a lot of free time :p). I loved all of the story except JK... it was too generic/cliched. Trooper was too.. but Elara made up for it XD

I agree...we don't need no stinkin xbox kiddies mucking up our mmo...If you do not like story go elsewhere...It's one thing to space bar through dialog the 2nd or 3rd time around...but the first? What's the point of even playing? Just get to 50 so you can pwn people? Why waste your time and 15 bucks a month? Just go back to Modern Warfare with all the other kids and basement dwellers...

ya basically you nailed it right on the head. If i wanted to do anything BUT pwn people I'd play a single player game and not pay someone 60 bucks + 15 a month. What you're enjoying is a single player game that you basically have to rent.

The reason I personally play multiplayer games (fps, mmo, wtfever) is because it's harder to beat the enemy when the enemy is thinking for himself and isnt a scripted encounter that even a monkey can learn to beat.

Uhm, what you just described was a typical bioware game, just in MMO form lol.

..........*stares*...

I'm sure there are tons of cold cases out there, just waiting to be solved by a keen deductive mind such as yours. An mmorpg forum is a clear waste of such talent.

Edited by Fiachsidhe

ya basically you nailed it right on the head. If i wanted to do anything BUT pwn people I'd play a single player game and not pay someone 60 bucks + 15 a month. What you're enjoying is a single player game that you basically have to rent.

The reason I personally play multiplayer games (fps, mmo, wtfever) is because it's harder to beat the enemy when the enemy is thinking for himself and isnt a scripted encounter that even a monkey can learn to beat.

I've listened to XBL players and watched them play. I honestly can't tell the difference between them and monkeys, accept for the rampant homophobia, racism, and misogyny. Yeah you're playing someone who can think for himself, but usually just barely.

Lord knows I'm counting the days until I can match wits with master tacticians like this:

Edited by Fiachsidhe

Yes, of course. Rely on the ad hominem logical fallacy since you have nothing to say XD If you'd read the rest of that reply, you'd see I gave my reasonings behind it :p but it's cool. :D Everyday, I'm starting to like the trolls more than the fanboys since they actually point out what's wrong to the devs to make them realize what to fix instead of the typical" don't like the game, quit herp derp" and "this game is perfect nothing needs to be fixed!" crowd. I'll bet ability delay would've never been fixed because of how so many people believed the "trolls" were making it up XD

^^ This.

I'm no RPer, I like to avoid reading quest txt and just get on with progression. However, the storytelling of this game is what attracted me, I don't have to read anything when everyone around me speaks! Of course I do spacebar once I know all the quests, but I want to lvl every toon now just to see their story.

Yes, of course. Rely on the ad hominem logical fallacy since you have nothing to say XD If you'd read the rest of that reply, you'd see I gave my reasonings behind it :p but it's cool. :D Everyday, I'm starting to like the trolls more than the fanboys since they actually point out what's wrong to the devs to make them realize what to fix instead of the typical" don't like the game, quit herp derp" and "this game is perfect nothing needs to be fixed!" crowd. I'll bet ability delay would've never been fixed because of how so many people believed the "trolls" were making it up XD

You prefaced your post with what is possibly the dumbest declaration I've ever seen on these forums, and the bar for stupid is raised pretty damn high here. You said this game was an mmo version of Bioware games, like you used the Staff of Ra to locate the obvious, and are now unveiling it to the world. It's a direct sequel to their single player games!

The rest of your post has nothing to do with the topic of this thread (the mechanics missing) and a matter of personal preference (how banal you think the stories are). Where did you provide a point worth debating?

Edited by Fiachsidhe

Exactly. I bet none of these people ever had to play games on the original NES either.

But I can and do blame them because they sound like a bunch of spoiled self entitled whiners.

Ive had a ton of consoles since the intellivision. I've played most of the MMOs out today.

I don't need to be an engineer to tell you that a ford festiva is crap.

Your logic is an appeal to authority.

Too bad it sucks.

If you really REALLY think the story in this game is "good" then you don't know what a good story is.

However, perhaps you are right, maybe i am "spoiled". I graduated with a folklore minor so maybe i am spoiled.

But lets use your own logic.......the first super mario had maybe one paragraph of story narrative and i played that game for hours and hours.

One quick question....guess why it didn't need a lot of "story"?

Because it was a good game for its time and didn't need it. But with ToR, story is the focal point and everything else was an afterthought including combat responsiveness.

The problem is, video games have a thing where combat responsiveness is required and the irony?

Story sucks. Like i said, a bad WB show. (if there is such a thing as a good WB show.

This is more like Disney star wars. Its a good game for people that don't read, baddies, and beginner MMO players.

The story is what drew me and is keeping me on SWTOR.

As a 7 year WoW player, heavy raider (on multiple characters), I have never really appreciated (or given a crap) about the story WoW has. Each new expansion is just another couple levels, different abilities and more gear for me.

I also have several RL friends I'm playing, and leveling, with. We've set days, times that we'll play certain characters and level them together. I recently went back to WoW to do some quests and was blown away by how drab and unappealing they were, and how little I cared about completing them.

Not so with SWTOR. Each quest I feel I have a personal investment in, particularly if I'm in a group with friends, because my character has interacted with the NPC in such a way to make it matter to him/her. It's less about whether the story is good, and more about the fact that it's there, and it can be told to multiple people at once, who all have a say (or seem to) in the matter.

If you're in a race to get to 50, sure, it can be bothersome. That's why you can spam space bar to make them shut up if you really want to.

I don't want to; and your opinions, with no evidence to back them up outside of the opinion itself ("the story is bad"), are no reason to force me.

This, times a thousand.

Edited by WeenisMcGee

Ive had a ton of consoles since the intellivision. I've played most of the MMOs out today.

I don't need to be an engineer to tell you that a ford festiva is crap.

Your logic is an appeal to authority.

Too bad it sucks.

If you really REALLY think the story in this game is "good" then you don't know what a good story is.

However, perhaps you are right, maybe i am "spoiled". I graduated with a folklore minor so maybe i am spoiled.

But lets use your own logic.......the first super mario had maybe one paragraph of story narrative and i played that game for hours and hours.

One quick question....guess why it didn't need a lot of "story"?

Because it was a good game for its time and didn't need it. But with ToR, story is the focal point and everything else was an afterthought including combat responsiveness.

The problem is, video games have a thing where combat responsiveness is required and the irony?

Story sucks. Like i said, a bad WB show. (if there is such a thing as a good WB show.

This is more like Disney star wars. Its a good game for people that don't read, baddies, and beginner MMO players.

The problem with your logic is that you think everyone else feels the same way about the story as you. You've been around since 2008, as have I. We knew what was coming. I played beta, im sure you at least got a weekend in too. WHy are you here? Why did you sub to this game knowing what it was all about?

Story done. I'm not into alts. What now?

Unsub till they continue the story?

Has anyone heard when they are going to continue the story?

Has anyone even heard if the story will carry on?

If the story if the thing then why did it end?

Story done. I'm not into alts. What now?

Unsub till they continue the story?

Has anyone heard when they are going to continue the story?

Has anyone even heard if the story will carry on?

If the story if the thing then why did it end?

The biggest weakness of the game is its endgame content. No one's disputing that; it's widely known and agreed upon. Keep in mind the game has only been out for two months, and there will be expansion upon it. Even WoW upon its inception only had 2 (3?) raids available.

Are you fully geared? Do you have the best PvP gear available? Have you completed all the flashpoints/heroic missions/etc? If not, there's still things for you to do on your first ever character.

I'm not an altaholic either, but the game's brand new, and these are the types of things you're going to run into. You need to accept the reality of it.

One thing I love is that my best friend, who I regularly duo with, plays the exact same class as I do (Jedi Sentinel) I'm Light V and he's Dark V. So we've been able to see how the questing and story diverge based on choices.

So far we've had completely different chain quests. We both to the starting quest, but when we make certain choices, the follow ups are different.

Here's a cool example of how light and dark choices can follow you to the end:

Major spoiler for Jedi Knight:

Throughout the game my jedi met several fallen jedi, and even some sith, that after defeating I was given the choice to spare and redeem, or kill. I chose to spare all of them. My friend chose to kill them.

When I reached Corellia where a great battle was being staged, I reunite one by one, with all of the people I spared, assigned to the battle, of which I was appointed commander. Some still struggling with their past.

My friend had completely different people show up.

At the end, when all was fought, my jedi came back with zero casualties, reflecting my guidance and tactics. My friend's resulted in heavy casualties, reflecting his apathy toward his subordinates.

It's stuff like this that, sets this game apart from other mmorpgs.

Edited by Fiachsidhe

You prefaced your post with what is possibly the dumbest declaration I've ever seen on these forums, and the bar for stupid is raised pretty damn high here. You said this game was an mmo version of Bioware games, like you used the Staff of Ra to locate the obvious, and are now unveiling it to the world. It's a direct sequel to their single player games!

The rest of your post has nothing to do with the topic of this thread (the mechanics missing) and a matter of personal preference (how banal you think the stories are). Where did you provide a point worth debating?

Hehe, the hate is strong in this one :D. Yes yes, more ad hominem attacks because i care when a random internet guy makes fun of me :) and it does actually. the story is the only thing that swtor got going for them, and ithey could've just made a single player KOTR 3 instead of an MMO. Why make it an MMO if it doesn't play like an MMO? Anyway, I am done here. Constructive criticism are lost on these forums, so I'll just go back to doing feedbacks in-game XD

The problem with your logic is that you think everyone else feels the same way about the story as you. You've been around since 2008, as have I. We knew what was coming. I played beta, im sure you at least got a weekend in too. WHy are you here? Why did you sub to this game knowing what it was all about?

1. I had hoped they fixed the combat from over a year and a half ago.

2. Thought there would be another reason for "choice" other than consmetic

3. Its not Warcraft

4. Game play is the reason people play video games.

And technically i'm not here.......i'm every where (other than subbed) while i wait for D3, Heart of the Swarm, and GW2

Hehe, the hate is strong in this one :D. Yes yes, more ad hominem attacks because i care when a random internet guy makes fun of me :) and it does actually. the story is the only thing that swtor got going for them, and ithey could've just made a single player KOTR 3 instead of an MMO. Why make it an MMO if it doesn't play like an MMO? Anyway, I am done here. Constructive criticism are lost on these forums, so I'll just go back to doing feedbacks in-game XD

Nothing you have said thus far is constructive, and can all be boiled down to "I don't like the story".

Sorry to burst your bubble.

Combat seems fine to me. Unbalanced maybe, but again, this is a new game.

How, exactly, do you propose adjusting the world itself to the choices of thousands, perhaps millions, of players in any fashion other than cosmetic upon the player him or herself without greatly affecting balance or requiring absurd amounts of focus and work from the staff?

3. Its not Warcraft

Sandwiches are not blankets. Stating the obvious means nothing.

Gameplay is the reason YOU play video games. As I've illustrated, I, and likely many others, have multiple reasons for playing SWTOR.

If the gameplay (read: combat) is the only reason for playing games, Skyrim would not be half as popular as it is.

Edited by WeenisMcGee

3. Its not Warcraft

And technically i'm not here.......i'm every where (other than subbed) while i wait for D3, Heart of the Swarm, and GW2

You're obviously paying them....so you are here. Are you paying just to post on the forums?