The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Why do many MMO players not appreciate the story?

chakkar

alot of people are just spoiled, they don't have nor understand the perspective in which you appreciate.

i mean, when you're handed awesome things time and time again you don't really appreciate much. it's like a rich kid how are they going to truly appreciate what they have? unless they obtain the perspective needed.

same with all these "rich kids" in the gaming community, they don't know how good they have it with all these games out there, it's not their fault really.. they don't know any better.

i bet none of the constant complainers ever sat in a room with a piece of paper and some cards or comic books or something and created a fantasy world with what you had.

i'm still in shock that games are actually in 3-d. :D

• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the way back to the original post...I didn't ignore the stories. I've now played every class to at least 15. The stories are some of the most inane, ludicrous drivel ever put into a game of any kind, MMO or not. They're OK on the origin planet, but once you're off there, they just get...stupid. Most of it isn't even worth reading, just get your kill/gather quest and move on.

So I don't think people ignore it, but don't appreciate them? You bet. I think most players can't appreciate a story that would be garbage to a 2nd grader with ADD. Blame Bioware for writing crap, not players for not caring enough to continue reading/hearing it.

alot of people are just spoiled, they don't have nor understand the perspective in which you appreciate.

i mean, when you're handed awesome things time and time again you don't really appreciate much. it's like a rich kid how are they going to truly appreciate what they have? unless they obtain the perspective needed.

same with all these "rich kids" in the gaming community, they don't know how good they have it with all these games out there, it's not their fault really.. they don't know any better.

i bet none of the constant complainers ever sat in a room with a piece of paper and some cards or comic books or something and created a fantasy world with what you had.

i'm still in shock that games are actually in 3-d. :D

Exactly. I bet none of these people ever had to play games on the original NES either.

But I can and do blame them because they sound like a bunch of spoiled self entitled whiners.

All the way back to the original post...I didn't ignore the stories. I've now played every class to at least 15. The stories are some of the most inane, ludicrous drivel ever put into a game of any kind, MMO or not. They're OK on the origin planet, but once you're off there, they just get...stupid. Most of it isn't even worth reading, just get your kill/gather quest and move on.

So I don't think people ignore it, but don't appreciate them? You bet. I think most players can't appreciate a story that would be garbage to a 2nd grader with ADD. Blame Bioware for writing crap, not players for not caring enough to continue reading/hearing it.

What was "drivel" about the BH story? Be specific.

And....why are you playing TOR, again?

Exactly. I bet none of these people ever had to play games on the original NES either.

But I can and do blame them because they sound like a bunch of spoiled self entitled whiners.

and even if they went back and played old games on an emulator or they tried to play dungeons and dragons pen and paper they still wouldn't find that same perspective as people who actually were there with those games dreaming of what games could be, i remember sitting in bed dreaming of game worlds like we have today.

to see people complain about the very things i used to just dream of having and being able to experience is a very sad commentary, indeed.

Other than kill thousands of Mobs….what can you do? You can find Datacrons ( I know its not fun), you can explore and find rare mobs, you can run operations, you can do war zones. THe game was just released, you can't expect it to have everything.

I can't expect a game that spent 6 years in development with a 9 figure budget and hundreds of employees to have basic features which MMOs have been refining for decades? I can't expect a team of developers who have extensive experience in making previous MMOs to learn from their mistakes and improve upon what fans did like about their games? I can't expect the team who gave fans some great PvP content in WAR that beat the PvP of other MMOs by a mile to get a simple open world PvP zone like Illum to work even just a little bit? Gee, I guess my expectations are a little unrealistic, huh...:rolleyes:

Let me ask you a question, seeing as how you have an answer to everything. What does TOR offer over any other single player RPG BW has made, such as Mass Effect, KoTOR, Dragon Age, or even Baldur's Gate that justifies having to pay a $15 monthly fee for it? Be specific. Because I know for a fact the story driven experience I'll get with ME 3 in a few months will blow away what I get from TOR without the active subscription. It's even going to have multiplayer.

Edited by LaManoNera

"Why do many MMO players not appreciate the story? "

Answer: You want to do a few quick easy quests and just doesnt have the stamina to listen to a long and well written dialogue that usually end up in "please kill 10 ants and come back to General blabla"

skip skip skip, read the log, check map. Done.

When biochem is the only viable crafting skill in the game, I'd call that a fail XD There's no point for the other crafting skills because of how you can't get unique looking armor/weapons/mods from them and they're subpar to stuff that drops in ops.

And also, are you really defending the GTN? It's usable, but it doesn't mean that it's not horrible. Even Bioware admitted it lol! I mean, you can't even properly search items and everytime you put something up, you have to put in the prices again.. and again.. and again :( it's annoying when i have a lot of the same blues/epics companion gifts and crafting mats i want to put up XD

And I forgot where I found that info on LOTRO :( Not sure who the source was, I just remember reading it when I wanted to try the game out a while back XD

"Why do many MMO players not appreciate the story? "

Answer: You want to do a few quick easy quests and just doesnt have the stamina to listen to a long and well written dialogue that usually end up in "please kill 10 ants and come back to General blabla"

skip skip skip, read the log, check map. Done.

/thread

This game should be buy to play not subscription mmo. It's mmo components aren't good enough.

A large percentage here on the forums hate on the game and state that they don't give a crasp about the great story Bioware has put into the game. These are probably the same type of people who would play Modern Warfare, but feel they're a more sophisticated gamer, so they play MMO's....then constantly complain about them.

IMO, story is what sets this game apart. Ive only played bounty hunter so far and love the story and look forward to playing every class.

I guess to many people are just used to playing easy mode click and shoot mmo's with no depth aka wow,, instant gratification generation have no time to enjoy a good story does not move fast enough for them..LOL I have played all Bioware games since Baldur's gate, and as a Bioware fan and a Star wars fan, i like the story, it adds so much more to the game, at least for me, the good thing for those that don't want to do the story I guess they will wear out the space bar..LOL

I can't expect a game that spent 6 years in development with a 9 figure budget and hundreds of employees to have basic features which MMOs have been refining for decades? I can't expect a team of developers who have extensive experience in making previous MMOs to learn from their mistakes and improve upon what fans did like about their games? I can't expect the team who gave fans some great PvP content in WAR that beat the PvP of other MMOs by a mile to get a simple open world PvP zone like Illum to work even just a little bit? Gee, I guess my expectations are a little unrealistic, huh...:rolleyes:

Let me ask you a question, seeing as how you have an answer to everything. What does TOR offer over any other single player RPG BW has made, such as Mass Effect, KoTOR, Dragon Age, or even Baldur's Gate that justifies having to pay a $15 monthly fee for it? Be specific. Because I know for a fact the story driven experience I'll get with ME 3 in a few months will blow away what I get from TOR without the active subscription. It's even going to have multiplayer.

UMAD BRO?

You seem to be really upset that they did not make the game you envisioned with the time frame and budget that they had. Thy dont have swimming but they do have:

Space mini game

Cut scenes for every quest

VO for every quest

a detailed sci fi environment

Stories, many of them

Don't be mad jiust because you don't like this game. Why are you still even subbed?

It would be like me not liking a new model of ford.....Im not goong to write ford and tell them YOU IDIOTS HAD ALL THIS MONEY AND TEAM MEMBERS AND THIS IS THE BEST YOU CAN COME UP WITH? W TF. YOU GUYS SUCK!

No, what I would do is not buy that ford and move on with my life.

i guess it's the same reason that barely anyone knows who nick cave and the bad seeds are but black eyed pees and eminem sell tons of albums. :eek:

basically, the human race is doomed. lol.

i bet if the game had shiny pictures instead of words that people wouldn't get bored so easily, maybe they could throw in a girly boy with bleached hair to butcher rap and rap the words to them in a way they could understand it.

or use autotune and repeat the same lines over and over and over.

i'm sure, then it would be a massive success.

muahaha.

Edited by teambff

UMAD BRO?

You seem to be really upset that they did not make the game you envisioned with the time frame and budget that they had. Thy dont have swimming but they do have:

Space mini game

VO for every quest

Stories, many of them

Don't be mad jiust because you don't like this game. Why are you still even subbed?

It would be like me not liking a new model of ford.....Im not goong to write ford and tell them YOU IDIOTS HAD ALL THIS MONEY AND TEAM MEMBERS AND THIS IS THE BEST YOU CAN COME UP WITH? W TF. YOU GUYS SUCK!

the things you listed that this game has aren't things that keep subs going. They're back burner things that are pretty neat at first but aren't the main event.

space mini game: ya this stays exciting and new right up until the 2nd time you do them... then it's tedious and easy.

cut scenes: space space space 1 space space space 2 space space space 3.

detailed environment: really? this game is barely better than wow and not any better than warhammer in the graphics department. The textures are absolute crap. My old gtx 260 runs this game on full blast with no lag. That's pretty lame.

stories only keep the star wars franchise fans coming back for more. anyone else that likes to just level and pvp and raid are probably doing what i said after "cut scenes".

i guess it's the same reason that barely anyone knows who nick cave and the bad seeds are but black eyed pees and eminem sell tons of albums. :eek:

basically, the human race is doomed. lol.

i bet if the game had shiny pictures instead of words that people wouldn't get bored so easily, maybe they could throw in a girly boy with bleached hair to butcher rap and rap the words to them in a way they could understand it.

or use autotune and repeat the same lines over and over and over.

i'm sure, then it would be a massive success.

muahaha.

That analogy makes no sense, whatsoever. This game DOES have shiny pictures XD and everyone uses autotune nowadays, even if it's just for the studio recording. And songs do repeat the same lines over and over... it's called a chorus.

But I have to agree with your sig XD firefly ftw! so sad it got cancelled so early :(

That analogy makes no sense, whatsoever. This game DOES have shiny pictures XD and everyone uses autotune nowadays, even if it's just for the studio recording. And songs do repeat the same lines over and over... it's called a chorus.

But I have to agree with your sig XD firefly ftw! so sad it got cancelled so early :(

it wouldn't make sense, to "certain" people. :)

Because many gamers are imagination deprived, and/or never played book and dice role playing, and define "RPG" by the singular and myopic inclusion of stat leveling.

Because early CRPGs did nothing but stats, the RPG genre, when represented in video games, has been reduced to only one of it's components, which only exists in tabletop gaming to cover for things that can't be done via actual roleplaying.

Which is why these same people scoff at role playing in mmorpgs and even go so far as to make fun of those that do. Because they can't fathom or understand what role playing game actually means. These are the people who migrate from mmorpg to mmorpg rush to end game and complain, then move on. They don't understand the genre and don't care to.

UMAD BRO?

Space mini game

VO for every quest

Stories, many of them

No, I'm not mad. I'm quite happy watching the amazing ME 3 trailers on YouTube. Can't wait for it to release. Because it will have everything you listed there but with actual production value, substance, and meaning behind it. Have you played any of the ME games?

Because many gamers are imagination deprived, and/or never played book and dice role playing, and define "RPG" by the singular and myopic inclusion of stat leveling.

Because early CRPGs did nothing but stats, the RPG genre, when represented in video games, has been reduced to only one of it's components, which only exists in tabletop gaming to cover for things that can't be done via actual roleplaying.

Which is why these same people scoff at role playing in mmorpgs and even go so far as to make fun of those that do. Because they can't fathom or understand what role playing game actually means. These are the people who migrate from mmorpg to mmorpg rush to end game and complain, then move on. They don't understand the genre and don't care to.

yeah, how ironic is that? to roleplay in a roleplay game is mocked.

roleplaying is what these games were always about and why they existed in the first place. :rolleyes:

Really?

Where does TOR offer any opportunity to role play? Your character is not yours, it's actually BW's. Your story is predetermined. You can't alter it at all. All you can do is either give a Boy Scout response, a snarky response, or a jerk response. The outcome is the same.

Where as KoTOR and ME you alter the entire game with your actions. Mass Effect 2 is how you make an RPG. TOR is how you distract people from typical MMO grind and unimaginative quest.

No, I'm not mad. I'm quite happy watching the amazing ME 3 trailers on YouTube. Can't wait for it to release. Because it will have everything you listed there but with actual production value, substance, and meaning behind it. Have you played any of the ME games?

Of course I have. Can't wait either. Seeing the trailer of the sniper up top inside big ben in England....that trailer was awesome.

Both this game and the ME games bring different things to the table. Both experiences are enjoyable.

I just hope Joker speaks more in ME3, he's my favorite character.

Let me ask you a question, seeing as how you have an answer to everything. What does TOR offer over any other single player RPG BW has made, such as Mass Effect, KoTOR, Dragon Age, or even Baldur's Gate that justifies having to pay a $15 monthly fee for it?

1. It's several times larger, than all of those games put together.

2. It allows me to play in this giant world with as many of my friends as I want (and you asked how it's different than all the games till now, and it isn't even remotely close to whatever tacked on multiplayer BS ME3 is going to have. ME3 isn't going to have steady content for years to come, so good luck finding players two years after you beat the game for ME3 multiplayer)

3. A persistent world, that will have continue to grow, and receive new content like any other mmorpg.

4. The class' story is vastly different, and the companions are unique, unlike those games where your story is mostly the same with the exception of origin sequence and few dialogues.

5. One large, constantly connected community.

6. I haven't touched any of the games you mentioned after I finished them and maybe had one replay. This game, I'm still playing after I finished the story. Almost two months later and I'm still interested and having fun.

Really?

Where does TOR offer any opportunity to role play? Your character is not yours, it's actually BW's. Your story is predetermined. You can't alter it at all. All you can do is either give a Boy Scout response, a snarky response, or a jerk response. The outcome is the same.

Where as KoTOR and ME you alter the entire game with your actions. Mass Effect 2 is how you make an RPG. TOR is how you distract people from typical MMO grind and unimaginative quest.

True roleplaying, is up to the player. The "opportunity" begins, as soon as two players can communicate with each other.

However, Bioware is doing what it can, with limited technology, to go further than any other mmorpg developer has attempted.

If you expect the same level of interaction that a GM/players situation can provide you may as well give up now. But Bioware is at least attempting to do what it can to get as close to that experience as possible, while supplimenting actual player/player RP. Yeah it's their story, however it's still one you can modify.

KOTOR and ME didn't change the story, you still ended up in the same places, fighting the same enemies, you just took branching paths, just like this game. All of their single player games are "their story" too.

Here's a question, why the **** are you still here, paying a sub for genre of game you clearly hate, and clearly have hated for quite some time? Why aren't you offline playing any of those games? Could it be that, as single player games they've lost replay value?

Edited by Fiachsidhe

How are they going a "step further" from the rest of the competitors? Just because they added VO/Cut scenes are every quest? :p that may be a step forward, but all their technical stuff are a step backwards XD how can they not have a /roll?!? the staple of all RPGS since the pen & paper age :(