The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Why do many MMO players not appreciate the story?

chakkar

• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love all the WoW/Aion players who came from those PoS games without even somewhat being interested in the Star Wars Universe but just got it because friends were and just want to grind grind + PVP + Raid + grind + grind + PVP.

Damn WoW Mentality.

And prior to release i'm pretty sure BW said that they've been focusing alot on the storylines.

Bet alot of the complaining kids are the same that spacebar through all convos and just want to speedrun/grind through it all and then make a QQ thread on forums with SWTOR being too short.

Edited by LordBerenger

Right because your opinion is somehow the be all and end all of stories. I'll wait for your silly 'glee' post or something equally intellectual.

I'm not debating whether the story is good. My personal opinion is the story is fine. I'm only saying that it being better than other MMO stories doesn't automatically MAKE it good, and neither does the fact that I personally can't write a better story. Since you are such an intellectual, I would have thought you might pick up on that.

I'm not debating whether the story is good. My personal opinion is the story is fine. I'm only saying that it being better than other MMO stories doesn't automatically MAKE it good, and neither does the fact that I personally can't write a better story. Since you are such an intellectual, I would have thought you might pick up on that.

I didn't see any mention of you saying the story was fine at all. All i saw was a ridiculous post comparing it to glee and saying the MMO comparison. There is no way to make an inference that you would like the story from what i read........

Edited by TheHeadCapper

Then you should have never purchased this game as it wasn't intend for your style of game play and you really have no business complaining about it.

Pretty sure i'm free to spend my money wherever i want, or are you my master?

Loving the star wars nuts. You guys are so serious.

This game is a lot like the prettiest dennys waitress. Totally bangable even sober most of the time, but at the end of the day, still a dennys waitress.

Edited by Fatbaldandalone

I didn't see any mention of you saying the story was fine at all. All i saw was a ridiculous post comparing it to glee and saying the MMO comparison. There is no way to make an inference that you would like the story from what i read........

I wasn't comparing the game to Glee. I was citing it as an example in response to your comment "Luckily we don't all read the same books or like the same moves, we aren't robots." as something that a ton of people like and lots of other people think is utter garbage.

I wasn't comparing the game to Glee. I was citing it as an example in response to your comment "Luckily we don't all read the same books or like the same moves, we aren't robots." as something that a ton of people like and lots of other people think is utter garbage.

So we agree there was no way for me to make the inference about something you didn't type or elude to in any way shape or form...........

Edited by TheHeadCapper

So we agree there was no way for me to make the inference about something you didn't type...........

No, why would you? I wasn't discussing my personal opinion of the story of the game at all. I just get annoyed with arguments like "The story is good because you can't do better", or "The story is good because other MMOs are worse".

For people saying the story sucks....

Name another MMO that has even close to as good of a story...

I'll answer for you...

There are NONE.

So quit your whining.

There are many that are better; unless you are easily suckered by flashy lights and dialogue.

Like I mentioned earlier, FFXI storyline, for example, was significantly better.

I'm not an "MMO player."

I am a video game player.

And I've never been that interested in the storylines in games. I love a good story, but I read a book or watch a movie or tv show when I want a story. When I play a game, I want to engage my brain in completely different things than passively watching a story. I honestly don't care even a little bit about video game stories. Video games are active. Stories are passive. It's like drenching an ice cream cone in BBQ sauce.

A large percentage here on the forums hate on the game and state that they don't give a crasp about the great story Bioware has put into the game. These are probably the same type of people who would play Modern Warfare, but feel they're a more sophisticated gamer, so they play MMO's....then constantly complain about them.

IMO, story is what sets this game apart. Ive only played bounty hunter so far and love the story and look forward to playing every class.

Because many MMO players just want to get to the end game and start the loot grind through raiding, or do PvP.

Seriously, these people would be just happy if when you start the game you are already max level and can go right into the raiding loot grind.

I'm not an "MMO player."

I am a video game player.

And I've never been that interested in the storylines in games. I love a good story, but I read a book or watch a movie or tv show when I want a story. When I play a game, I want to engage my brain in completely different things than passively watching a story. I honestly don't care even a little bit about video game stories. Video games are active. Stories are passive. It's like drenching an ice cream cone in BBQ sauce.

I can walk and chew bubblegum just like i can enjoy a video game and story at he same time.

Edited by TheHeadCapper

I don't mind stories but some of them are way to long. I'll use the Black Talon/Essles cut scene for instance, is it really nessasary to have 100 cut scenes so half the FP is story ? How about finishing a cut scene to walk 10 feet to yet another cut scene. Shorten then up a bit imo. Edited by Nuzt

I don't mind stories but some of them are way to long. I'll use the Black Talon/Essles cut scene for instance, is it really nessasary to have 100 cut scenes so have the FP is story ? How about finishing a cut scene to walk 10 feet to yet another cut scene. Shorten then up a bit imo.

You can't please everyone, you know how many complaints there are that the other FP's didn't have as many cutscenes as the ones you just mentioned.

You can't please everyone, you know how many complaints there are that the other FP's didn't have as many cutscenes as the ones you just mentioned.

This, I was disappointed when I entered Hammer Station and it didn't feel as epic as Black Talon did. They really needed stay with the Black Talon formula for all the FPs, cause now all the other FPs are just kind of meh, really not much story to them, feel like I am running WoW instances again.

Funny thing is almost everyone here could not. They just like complaining.

In fact, if you haters think you can make a better MMO, then do it.....oh, you dont have millions of dollars to risk? Oh, you dont have the coding skills, the writing skills, the artistic ability?

Then **** ;-)

By this logic, you are never allowed to offer the slightest criticism of anything, ever again, that you can't do better. Cold food? Bad service?

This argument is completely illogical, do us all a favor and stop using it. Movie critics don't make movies, and I'm pretty sure I don't have to be able to program Big Rigs Over the Road Racing to say it sucks.

A large percentage here on the forums hate on the game and state that they don't give a crasp about the great story Bioware has put into the game. These are probably the same type of people who would play Modern Warfare, but feel they're a more sophisticated gamer, so they play MMO's....then constantly complain about them.

IMO, story is what sets this game apart. Ive only played bounty hunter so far and love the story and look forward to playing every class.

It's really because most video game players have been programed to "finish the game" so they rush though leveling. Most MMO's solve this somewhat by adding an endgame gear grind though Raiding and PvP. SW-TOR's endgame isn't as developed as other MMO's so those who rush through the game get bored and come on the forums and whine about the lack of content.

Also many people don't ID with the IG avatar. They see it as a playing piece that has a pretty graphic, nothing more. So the story really doesn't grab their attention.

I think that the players who came here from RPG titles like KOTOR and other game like it will get what Bioware is trying to do here. I think those players will be the ones who stick around to see what Bioware has up their sleeves when the next content patches come. The Hardcore MMOers will probably get bored and leave. They don't really like any games anyways, judging by how much they whine in every MMO board in existence.

I appreciate good story, but this is Bioware story.

I had a good giggle at that. At least I haven't seen any horrid repeatedly reused environments yet (DAII lol).

But seriously, I've done alot of MMO and its pretty clear here that they have taken on board a lot of lessons from the successes and failures of other popular games in the genre when they created this one.

The voice acting really pushes home the story line and its good to see. Its all pretty standard stuff at the moment (early BH for me) but I imagine as the story deepens and some seriously intriguing **** starts to happen it will feel like an awesome multiplayer roller coaster ride.

I like that you can put your personal touch on your characters way of dealing with people (NPC's as well as players) and that choices you make can influence the way the game pans out.

I find it interesting (and sometimes hilarious) watching the dice roll in group conversations and the different players general attitudes coming out through their characters actions in convo etc.

My favorite one so far was on the "Black talon" flashpoint during the conversation with the ships captain after you've been ordered to hijack the vessel. The poor captain got 3 rounds of "good cop" before I finally won a conversation roll and proceeded to pistol whip him before shooting him in the back on the head.

For people saying the story sucks....

Name another MMO that has even close to as good of a story...

I'll answer for you...

There are NONE.

So quit your whining.

Woah . . . woah . . . woah . . . On your side but no need to drop bombs. It's our house so it behooves us to treat guests with courtesy. Now, who's up for a cold one? ;) Edited by GalacticKegger

Why? When the book is about your character and you have the ability to change the fate its much better than reading a book. There are lots of asian RPGs that gives you that epic story.

You know, there actually exist choose-your-own-ending books.

Like videogame stories, they're not considered very good.

So....why are you playing this "story driven MMO", again?

Because I like it. I know this will utterly SHOCK the fanboys, but it is possible to like something and STILL be critical of aspects of it!!!

Here are the things I seriously don't like about the game:

1. I don't like the illusory choices you are given: if the game is going to force me down a certain path, just do it, don't hide it behind dialogue choices.

2. I don't like that the endgame is turning out to be a carbon copy of WoW's endgame, simply an endless gear grind through tier after tier of raids. I will be even more disappointed if we see the first expansion following in the footsteps of WoWs mistake of completely obsoleting previous content.

Now, as far as my first complaint goes, I certainly understand if people disagree with me. After all, generally questing in MMOs is just a concealed grind, and I don't have much of a problem with that, so I can certainly see people not having a problem with a completely linear story being "concealed" behind a bunch of "choices". To each their own, it is simply a complaint I have about the way the game plays out, and I would like to see more impactful choices in the future.

I can also understand that other people might like the Everquest/WoW/Rift/etc.... style endgame with the endless gear grind. Once again, to each their own, but I would prefer the game evolve through increased "breadth" at the top, rather than increased "height".

None of these complaints mean I "hate" the game. Right now it still holds my interest fairly well, and like the other critics on the board, I will continue to criticize the things I think should be different in the hopes that the developers will change things in the future to KEEP my interest. If they don't, and I eventually lose interest in the game, then at that point my sub will lapse and I'll move on to something else. But, int the meantime, we all have the right to make our opinions heard, to point out not only the things we like, but the things we don't like, and hope that unlike the fanboys who will not countenance anything bad said about the game they have attached themselves to, the developers will hear the criticism, and if they think they are valid, move to correct the flaws.