Should Kolto Bomb be a skill shot?

Anrix

I am wondering what other commando healers think of kolto bomb aside from not liking its small radius, weak heal, the fact that it only heals three people and its inability to select the targets with the lowest health.

I really think the skill shot mechanic makes this a clumsy ability. Personally as a commando I am clicking on peoples frames far too much that mousing offer someone's character feels like I am going out of my way and breaking my rhythm. Not to mention this thing has a really slow travel time once I actually throw it.

Why could they not make it lock onto a target and splash like all our other grenades? It doesn't make sense and seems counter intuative that they deviated for this one in particular. Time is important for healers, I really have a problem with it taking a fraction of a second off my response time every time I use it. Having to mouse out into the field for this particular ability is not a smart mechanism. I just think it could have been implemented better.

Edited by Anrix

Kolto Bomb should have a HoT attached to it IMO (a 1000-2000 over 30 sec HoT).

It our only AOE heal, yet unlike Sage it's limited to 3 people, weaker and doesn't have a HoT.

And our Bacta Infusion which is on the same tier as Sages AOE healing ability, is equal Deliverance which Sages get at level 12 (*** is up with that).

Kolto Bomb should have a HoT attached to it IMO (a 1000-2000 over 30 sec HoT).

It our only AOE heal, yet unlike Sage it's limited to 3 people, weaker and doesn't have a HoT.

And our Bacta Infusion which is on the same tier as Sages AOE healing ability, is equal Deliverance which Sages get at level 12 (*** is up with that).

Adding a hot to it is a good idea, and they need to increase the max targets it can hit. I'll agree with the OP it should be thrown at someone, not ground targetted, as it stands now using KB requires more skill than any other ability in the game.

And yeah, Bacta infusion is pathetic. BI could be good if the CD was lowered to something reasonable like 10 seconds, but on a 21 second cd it's kinda just worthless.

Edited by Jooji

Adding a hot to it is a good idea, and they need to increase the max targets it can hit. I'll agree with the OP it should be thrown at someone, not ground targetted, as it stands now using KB requires more skill than any other ability in the game.

I agree that I don't use Kolto bomb in every situation, but I think it has its valid uses (I'm thinking PVP):

-Out of LoS healing. I often find this on huttball when I'm up on a ramp and the guy I'm trying to heal runs under me. Drop the Kolto, and voila the guy out of LoS gets healed. Usually he'll pop out one side or another by then and I get my med probe + healing bonus at that point.

-Combat Support Cell Supercharge Shield Shield Shield. It's wonderful that way.

-Running away healing. Yeah it's not much, but frankly, when you're on the run, prior to bacta infusion, it's the only mobile heal you have.

-Quickly top off my squadmates after a burst of combat. Saves time and ammo.

And yeah, Bacta infusion is pathetic. BI could be good if the CD was lowered to something reasonable like 10 seconds, but on a 21 second cd it's kinda just worthless.

Actually, in PVP, I find it WONDERFUL! How many times have I run an advance med probe and my target is dead by the time I get it off? I come running into a situation, bacta infuse the lowest guy, and that gives me time to launch off a medical probe. I don't worry about the cooldown because since I'm using it as the opening salvo, by the time I've moved on, it has reset.

Furthermore, like Kolto Bomb, it can be done while I'm running away, or under severe fire. I can't tell you how many times I'm surrounded by lightening coming from two sorcs, and between a warzone medpack + a bacta infusion, I'm suddenly back up to high health. Again, it gives me time for Medical probe.

So to re-cap, Kolto is good for edge-case situations, Bacta is awesome as a "save from certain doom" for PVP or group quests.

So to re-cap, Kolto is good for edge-case situations, Bacta is awesome as a "save from certain doom" for PVP or group quests.

I am not suggesting that if they change the mechanic they should change the self cast, or not make it instant cast. It is practically the only mobile healing we have and should remain that way even if they remove the targeting.

I understand if they changed it then we lose the PvP scenario you described when casting it down on to a platform beneath us, but have you ever tried to cast it on a player above you?

It is so damn hard to do and depends on the angle you are at with your target and your camera distance being blocked by overhead platforms. In becomes too situational, and as kolto bomb stands atm I think it is too cheap and weak of a heal with a low cooldown not to be included in a rotation.

Edited by Anrix

I agree that I don't use Kolto bomb in every situation, but I think it has its valid uses (I'm thinking PVP):

-Out of LoS healing. I often find this on huttball when I'm up on a ramp and the guy I'm trying to heal runs under me. Drop the Kolto, and voila the guy out of LoS gets healed. Usually he'll pop out one side or another by then and I get my med probe + healing bonus at that point.

-Combat Support Cell Supercharge Shield Shield Shield. It's wonderful that way.

-Running away healing. Yeah it's not much, but frankly, when you're on the run, prior to bacta infusion, it's the only mobile heal you have.

-Quickly top off my squadmates after a burst of combat. Saves time and ammo.

Actually, in PVP, I find it WONDERFUL! How many times have I run an advance med probe and my target is dead by the time I get it off? I come running into a situation, bacta infuse the lowest guy, and that gives me time to launch off a medical probe. I don't worry about the cooldown because since I'm using it as the opening salvo, by the time I've moved on, it has reset.

Furthermore, like Kolto Bomb, it can be done while I'm running away, or under severe fire. I can't tell you how many times I'm surrounded by lightening coming from two sorcs, and between a warzone medpack + a bacta infusion, I'm suddenly back up to high health. Again, it gives me time for Medical probe.

You "thinking" bacta is wonderful doesn't make it decent. It crits for 3.5k. Both the other class' 31 pt talents do way more healing. AMP hits harder. MP hits harder. KB hits harder if it hits 3 targets. Bacta either needs me to much stronger or on a shorter cd.

Yes, the targeting mechanic of Kolto Bomb really makes it obnoxious many times. However, I often have to throw the bomb in the middle of several people to make it hit multiple targets. If I was restricted to making it land on a selected player, it would often ONLY hit a single player.

I imagine in ops, though, this is less of a concern.

I would actually like to see Kolto Bomb changed to be cast on a target, and then the target and three other targets within the radius get healed. This would simultaneously make it easier to cast quickly and ensure that the person I want to get the healing increase/shield actually gets those effects.

I like being able to free target the skill. It should effect more than 3 toons for the cost...3 talent points to be fully effective and then 17% of our resources per use. The lack of smart healing makes this skill a must have for all in the area effect.

To balance this ability they could have it heal for less per target over 3 in the area of effect. If you heal 10 guys then they could each be healed for 600 instead of 3 for 2k. As far as people complaining about the area of effect they must be using it wrong because I think it hits a pretty large area. It is much larger than the targeting circle.

Oh one more complaint...they need to make it so you cannot target past the 30 yard range...hate having to click repeatedly around that range to find the fine line.

My thoughts.

I can't take credit for this suggestion. Saw it in a post:

When Super Charged Cells is active KB has no CD

All our aoe probs are fixed. No need to increase amount of targets hit. It gives us aoe capabilites with a limiting factor as dropping too many will wipe your ammo out quick. It also gives us a raid wall type ability for heavy damage phases as we can quickly apply the 10% damage reduction buff to a grp/raid.

Edited by Haydawgg

I agree. At the least I would like it to stop having to be manually aimed. It's way too small of an aoe to have be targeting it manually like that. If they increase the size of the aoe I can justify having to manually select the area, but right now it's a small little circle. Do we really need to target a small little circle? Kolto Bomb is essentially a healing grenade. You should be able to direct it at the player you are targeting like you do Healing Probe, or any other heal. Kolto Bomb is an aoe, but unless they increase the aoe size there's no point to it having to be targeted like an aoe.

There are either not many people for or against it or not a lot of combat medics out there. Either way I don't see this changing if not a lot of people care or even take the spec of the ability. Edited by Anrix